Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Separation/Divorce Not married in Ireland

• 13-08-2016 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi,

The marriage has been getting worse on a weekly basis and with each argument things have escalated to a point where I don't want to suffer anymore. I don't think the wife wants to be in the relationship anymore either but can't face having to fend for herself or lose what she has.

We weren't married here, she isn't irish so do we need to get divorced here or can we get it done in the states where it would be easier.

We have no kids, large equity in the house around 100 - 150k 100% I put in. She works a low paid job and I pay all the bills. I know if she wants to dig her heels in she can take me for almost everything. Half of the lot and high costs of court taking the rest.

That's why I want to act now before it gets to the point we hate each other.

Do I need to deal with irish system?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fairly sure you can deal with either the Irish system or the one in the country you got married in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

Stheno wrote: »
    Fairly sure you can deal with either the Irish system or the one in the country you got married in.

Thanks. Done plenty of research, can get it done anywhere. The problem is getting it recognised in Ireland. We are so backwards in relation to so many things.

One of us would need to be domiciled in the country it's done otherwise they won't recognise it here. So I would be divorced everywhere in the world but still married in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

LastStop wrote: »
    Thanks. Done plenty of research, can get it done anywhere. The problem is getting it recognised in Ireland. We are so backwards in relation to so many things.

One of us would need to be domiciled in the country it's done otherwise they won't recognise it here. So I would be divorced everywhere in the world but still married in Ireland.

MIght be easiest then to divorce here?

Is your big concern here how much you may have to give your ex etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Payton

Can I ask are either of you from the country where you got married?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm in a similar situation, not married here and wondering how divorce would work. We have a child though which makes things much more complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

Stheno wrote: »
    MIght be easiest then to divorce here?

Is your big concern here how much you may have to give your ex etc?

My concern is getting it done asap rather than the ridiculous saga this country forces you thru.

I'm irish and she's south American and we got hitched in the states.

LastStop wrote: »
    My concern is getting it done asap rather than the ridiculous saga this country forces you thru.

I'm irish and she's south American and we got hitched in the states.

I think you might be out of luck

From this link, one of you would have to be domiciled in the states at the time of the divorce.

http://www.brophysolicitors.ie/brophysolicitors/Main/Family_Law_Foreign_Divorces.html

I'd contact a solicitor if I were you tbh

Advertisement