Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing a let out property - first time

Options
  • 13-08-2016 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

A family member has to go abroad for work and has asked me to manage the letting of their property while they are gone.

I won't be living in the house, I have my own.

I'm very familiar with buying and selling property, but not at renting or letting, having never done either myself.

So where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So where do I start?
    With some good legal and tax advice.

How involved will you be - just as a local contact or actively involved in drawing up tenancy agreements, selecting tennants, dealing with any day to day (or more serious issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I will be placing ads, and be the contact for tenants if needs be. I won't be receiving rent, that will go directly into owners account that they'll pay the mortgage on. I'm telling the owners to get their own tax advice.

Another sibling will do repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I will be placing ads, and be the contact for tenants if needs be. I won't be receiving rent, that will go directly into owners account that they'll pay the mortgage on. I'm telling the owners to get their own tax advice.

Another sibling will do repairs.

It would be preferable for you to set up a rent account and receive it for the owner. Otherwise the tenants are supposed to deduct 20% from the rent and forward that to revenue. That's messy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Forget "references" as a sole acceptance, meet potential tenants at the property and you'll get a feeling/sense of them for yourself.

Some are time wasters and pure daft - advertising "no pets" and the first question is "can I have a dog?", it gets tiresome.

athtrasna wrote: »
    It would be preferable for you to set up a rent account and receive it for the owner. Otherwise the tenants are supposed to deduct 20% from the rent and forward that to revenue. That's messy to say the least.

What? The tenants are supposed to deduct 20% to forward to revenue?? Bolder dash

The owner makes a return to revenue each year showing rent received less allowable deductions and that's that. This return is not your problem but the owners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

vicwatson wrote: »
    What? The tenants are supposed to deduct 20% to forward to revenue?? Bolder dash

The owner makes a return to revenue each year showing rent received less allowable deductions and that's that.

The law. The owner being overseas is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

vicwatson wrote: »

The owner makes a return to revenue each year showing rent received less allowable deductions and that's that. This return is not your problem but the owners

It's not "balderdash", it's the law.

Tenants must deduct 20% of rent payable to a non-resident landlord, and the tenants pay that to the Revenue.

It's a withholding tax.

To avoid this, the non-resident landlord could appoint an agent.

See here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I won't be receiving rent, that will go directly into owners account that they'll pay the mortgage on. I'm telling the owners to get their own tax advice.

In that case, the tenants must pay 20% of the rent to the Revenue, and 80% to the landlord.

The 20% is like the landlord paying income tax as they go along.

athtrasna wrote: »
    The law. The owner being overseas is the issue.

Cheers, I stand corrected

Geuze wrote: »
    In that case, the tenants must pay 20% of the rent to the Revenue, and 80% to the landlord.

The 20% is like the landlord paying income tax as they go along.

And this has to be noted in the lease, X to revenue, y to landlord

• Advertisement
Advertisement