Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between 'smoked' and 'fresh' cod in italian chip shop

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

niallam wrote: »
    Their "fresh" cod is Frozen at Sea cod, usually Norwegian, comes in a 3 x 6.81kg case. The same cod that Aldi and Lidl sell as fresh....

Smoked cod doesn't exist in any chipper in Ireland, as a product it's very rare in the fish industry, smoked coley is what they all use. All comes from Scotland and packed in 1 stone box. The dye is annatto, gives it the orangey colour.
    Really is a pet hate of mine, since I actually quite like the smoked cod from most chippers (and my local calls it 'smoked fillet of fish' which is refreshing). I just wish they'd stop calling it cod when it isn't, though I wish the average consumer wouldn't be so picky because if the chippers did do that... they'd lose a good deal of business. Even from people who've been buying that exact product from them regularly for years.

It's also frustrasting compared to the 'chipper' equivalents they have in parts of Australia, where it very much is fresh fish that they serve and give you a few different options. Plus they bread rather than batter it, which I typically prefer but that's another matter. I think some chippers would also do well to add calamari as a side offer - cheap, quick and easy on their end while also a product they could slap a small mark up on for 'fanciness'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Smokers and Jokers?

Scampi and chips from Beshoff Bros. Can't beat it with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Elliott S wrote: »
    I've tried the naturally-smoked stuff and didn't like it. It was far too salty and I usually like my salty food. I actually prefer artificially-smoked fish.

It's hardly the natural smoke that makes it salty though... In the same way ham or bacon can be more or less salty independent of it being smoked or not.

Advertisement