Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold start engine sprays, any use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bliger

Just spray it in the air intake(where air normaly goes to the engine) then you will starting the car. As spray contains aether it will be easy to flame/start the engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Unless you've an old car or one that's difficult to start there's generally no point.

The easy start is great on farms for starting tractors that have been sitting up for a while. It's ideally a two person job. One cranks the engine while another sprays a short burst into the air intake.

The 90s agricultural solution when easy start wasn't easily got was to lite a newspaper at the air intake and crank the engine. The warm air made it significantly easier to start the engine.

Many military tanks used to use it a similar solution by first starting one and then using the exhaust from the first tank to preheat the subsequent engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you need easy start, then you have a problem that needs sorting anyway and you'd be far better to get it sorted before using easy start.

Easy start really is hateful stuff and will do far more damage than good. It can cause things like broken compression rings in your engine. So, unless you have an engine that is at the limit of its useful life, then stay away from Easy Start or equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'd avoid using it if at all possible as the ignition of the gas is explosive. Has been known to crack cylinders and valve heads. I had a digger here about 6 yrs ago that became addicted to it and wouldn't start without a snort of it in the air filter. The bang when it was started was frightening. In the end i had to get the engine rebuilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

I'd avoid using it if at all possible as the ignition of the gas is explosive. Has been known to crack cylinders and valve heads. I had a digger here about 6 yrs ago that became addicted to it and wouldn't start without a snort of it in the air filter. The bang when it was started was frightening. In the end i had to get the engine rebuilt.

Lol. It was an addict! Love it.

You're right tho, the easy start should only ever be used for a short burst. Anything more creates a very hot engine cylinder when the rest of the block is understandably much colder. Thermal stress followed by financial stress is not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP what car have you and what age is it? The vast majority of modern fuel injected cars (and by modern I mean most cars made from about 95 onwards) don't have an open intake that you can spray into so you have to start pulling intake pipes off to get at the throttle body.

If it's a reasonably modern car and isn't starting easily on cold mornings then it's most likely fouled plugs and/or a weak battery that's causing the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I used use it on an old suzuki I used to do auto trailing in, it had a woeful hot start problem, so I would give it a quick blast and she would fire right up. I've also used it to get diesels that have an air lock in the injector lines going, but that is old land rovers and stuff like that, wouldn't use it anywhere near something new or good.

As said above the crack and clatter from it firing up is nothing short of scary.

Advertisement