Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning spiky garden plant leaves

Options
  • 13-08-2016 3:27pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a spiky yucca-type spidery plant in my garden, like this.

0180792.jpg

But it's grown huge, and will soon be as tall as the garden fence.
    How do I prune it? Do I cut the leaves straight across or cut them at a point, like they are already? I cut a couple straight across, but they haven't grown back properly, so I'm guessing that was the wrong thing to do.

I've been googling this, but I don't know what the plant/bush is even called, apart from it's like a big spider plant and I haven't found anything very helpful. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm not very good on those random spiky plants, but I think it is a phormium. And a very splendid one at that. You can't prune it in the way you are suggesting though. If you cut off leaves, however you do it, they will not grow again. I think you are stuck with it as it is. It is such a nice plant though its a shame to do anything to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's the plant in the picture then it's Yucca gloriosa . In spring you can prune out damaged or unwanted leaves at the base. Wear gloves and don't nick any remaining leaves.

^^^ you know what? He's right! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If it's the plant in the picture then it's Yucca gloriosa . In spring you can prune out damaged or unwanted leaves at the base. Wear gloves and don't nick any remaining leaves.
    Does that just mean pull the unwanted leaves out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Posy wrote: »
    Does that just mean pull the unwanted leaves out?

No, no. Prune them with sequiturs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thanks! :)

I'm sure there is a joke about non-sequiturs there somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

looksee wrote: »
    I'm sure there is a joke about non-sequiturs there somewhere...

Don't go there?

:P

[No really don't go there...]
    Have one of those and they are viciously sharp!

Advertisement