Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decorating My Classroom

Options
  • 13-08-2016 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi I need some help as I just found out I will have my own classroom this year which is great, however I have no resources such as posters & charts for the walls. I teach History and Geography and I have been searching for places to purchase posters but can't find any. Can anyone suggest some places please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

annejohn91 wrote: »
    Hi I need some help as I just found out I will have my own classroom this year which is great, however I have no resources such as posters & charts for the walls. I teach History and Geography and I have been searching for places to purchase posters but can't find any. Can anyone suggest some places please?

I think there was a thread about a year ago, some guy was just going into a printers and getting them to print off his own images.

I also think a few govt. Bodies hve stuff to give out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sligo Graph maybe?

Leave most room for the students' work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Daydream education UK seem to have a good selection for Geography. Mind you , you could probably get some artistic students to do a few up for you as a project. History would be tougher I imagine, I see a lot of teachers just put up students own project work up for history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

You could use personalised wall decals to put up quotations from history perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Get a good sized world map. I teach English and History and use mine all the time. I print a lot of things myself and cut them up to make my own posters using a2/a1 sized card. Pictures of the 1916 signatories for example - you can do your own posters for less money and they tend to be more effective in my opinion. I like them to be big and colourful! Plus a lot of the history ones for sale online are not very relevant to our curriculum.For history keep an eye on the newspapers - there are often interesting articles and supplements that have great material, photos, map etc. Sometimes they even have pull out souvenir posters.

What else... I got a few small posters from the national museum, good for first year history. You might also consider putting up lists of keywords, most of the literacy initiatives are big on this. For numeracy it's helpful to have a BC/AD timeline with big events from history. I just printed this myself using A4 paper and laminated them. (A laminator is a good investment. Mine was about 11 euro in Argos) I also print inspirational quotes from the internet, things I see on Facebook etc, and laminate them and put them up if I think they're relevant to teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

Sometimes the National Geographic have suitable photos. Endless stuff about Egypt, Howard Carter and the Pyramids for example. Our school is impoverished so buying stuff in from companies is a non runner. Charity shops sometimes have these for sale for about €0.50 each or for free. I take a bundle every now and then. Mind you it is a curse to cut the photos out and the pages seem tougher than Fort Knox to get at.

Some of the kids like to design their own posters as well. Yes, a good, clear world map is a great asset and I am constantly referring to it. Agencies like Alone, ISPCC/A, Bothair, Amnesty and so on may give you some goodies too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Enfo do some good freebies:
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/enfo/sustainable-living/posters-and-leaflets/posters/
    Though seomra ranga is mainly primary in focus, it might be worth a rootle too
    http://www.seomraranga.com/category/curriculum/sese/geography/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Keep an eye on newspapers for inserts - sometimes they have inserts for Irish history topics.

Advertisement