Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Unqualified

Options
  • 13-08-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was over on the Voice for Teachers page and found the following post that has me a bit annoyed. What are your opinions on this?

This is the post:

I'm struck in the muddle. From September I'll be teaching as an unqualified teacher. It's my first time role. Unfortunately I won't be able to do my teacher training until next year. So in the meantime I thought about doing a masters in education. I don't want to miss a years worth of studying. My question is should I do a masters or do people think it's not a good idea x

I think the above is deplorable with all the teachers who are seeking work and have been for several years. I can't comprehend why Voice for Teachers would post such a request but they seem to be posting several controversial threads mainly from NQTs who were lucky enough to find work and are looking for resources/websites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

That page is an utter joke with some of the tripe they let up on it. Would make you worry about some of the idiots who are teaching at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

I came across it once or twice. Although I found most of the advice was aimed more toward primary teaching, the advice for post-primary teachers was in the area of how they can secure an interview.

The state of modern day Irish secondary teaching is quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There was a post today on it from a teacher who is returning to work next week after her first maternity leave. She wanted to know the cost of childcare in Meath. My initial thought was 'Fcuk off to a parenting forum, or ask your neighbours'. FFS, it is supposed to be for queries related to teaching, not childcare costs. I wouldn't mind but it's the admins who decide what is posted so someone approved that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

There was a post today on it from a teacher who is returning to work next week after her first maternity leave. She wanted to know the cost of childcare in Meath. My initial thought was 'Fcuk off to a parenting forum, or ask your neighbours'. FFS, it is supposed to be for queries related to teaching, not childcare costs. I wouldn't mind but it's the admins who decide what is posted so someone approved that post.

Yeah I don't know what they're doing over there. I can't understand all the people looking for resources because they have a HL class - I wonder if these teachers ever heard of Google :)

Yeah I don't know what they're doing over there. I can't understand all the people looking for resources because they have a HL class - I wonder if these teachers ever heard of Google :)

Ya those requests should just not be entertained, if they are too lazy to google 'TY resources' they shouldn't be let near a classroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I would say there are trolls on it now.

Somebody commented on op post and said it may be someone teaching a vocational subject in an etb and that there are a lot without a qualification doing this.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I would say there are trolls on it now.

Somebody commented on op post and said it may be someone teaching a vocational subject in an etb and that there are a lot without a qualification doing this.

Yes, it was good up until this week - the admins have taken a break until September. I can't understand why they post them to their page though.

In relation to the message posted, they clarified (after a lot of debate) that in fact the poster would be working in England. For the life of me, I can't understand teachers who are aware of the teaching situation in Ireland today would not look for more information before we all start fighting with one another - and it may be OK to be controversial here as it's anonymous, over on VFT, the names of posters are also given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Teachers can be parents too! ;)

I really liked the VFT page, and to be honest, it's probably more of a headache to filter through what to post/not post and easier to post what they get.

I'd imagine that when they return after their break, the whole format will be changed and the Q&A type system that it has developed into will be no more.

It should be a Voice for Teachers as it originally set out to be.

Teachers can be parents too! ;)

It's a forum for teaching issues not parenting issues. The real issues of CIDs, CP hours, LRA, S&S, difficulty in getting jobs get drowned out by idiots who are either too lazy or too stupid to make enquiries about childcare through the appropriate channels.

It's a forum for teaching issues not parenting issues. The real issues of CIDs, CP hours, LRA, S&S, difficulty in getting jobs get drowned out by idiots who are either too lazy or too stupid to make enquiries about childcare through the appropriate channels.

I'm not really sure THAT'S the best way to interact with them though. Similar to most things, if it's something that doesn't interest you, keep scrolling! PLENTY of posts regarding the issues above appear frequently and I would say, in the majority of posts made.

• Advertisement

I'm not really sure THAT'S the best way to interact with them though. Similar to most things, if it's something that doesn't interest you, keep scrolling! PLENTY of posts regarding the issues above appear frequently and I would say, in the majority of posts made.

It the forum is moderated properly, it won't appear at all..... and it's not like this forum where anyone can post. The admins choose what to post on VFT

It the forum is moderated properly, it won't appear at all..... and it's not like this forum where anyone can post. The admins choose what to post on VFT

I'd say things gathered moss as they went on, and it's only now they can properly consider the function of the page so I'd say things will change once they return from their break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Boards.ie was originally just a site for Quakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Moaning about VFT on boards. FFS. :rolleyes:

Moaning about VFT on boards. FFS. :rolleyes:

Its anonymous unlike VFT. There are some of us looking for work. As a poster said here, and there was a post on VFT - if you have no interest in the post -scroll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Its anonymous unlike VFT. There are some of us looking for work. As a poster said here, and there was a post on VFT - if you have no interest in the post -scroll on.

Hopefully you'll find a position as a keyboard warrior.

Ah here leave it out. Thread closed.
    Teachers have enough on their plate to be dealing with infighting.
    Member warned
    Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement