Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW 1.4tsi timing chain cost?

• 13-08-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

Think mine is on the way out, 2011 Passat with 85k. Can anyone give an indication of main dealer v Indy prices to have the job done right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Think mine is on the way out, 2011 Passat with 85k. Can anyone give an indication of main dealer v Indy prices to have the job done right?

Got mine done with main dealer 1200 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Was there any good will from VW, heard there may be as car is under 5 years old?

Full VW service history from new, with the dealer I bought the car from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

€750 would be about the going rate for an independent garage.

No, it's a scheduled service item.

Really? Thought it is more a poor design, hence the stretching, pretty well documented.

• Advertisement

It's not a scheduled service item.

What symptoms are you seeing that makes you think the chain needs to be replaced?

There's a distinct rattle from that end of the engine, wasn't there until very recently, most noticeable when cold. Audible from in the car too. As you know that engine is very smooth and quiet so it's quite noticeable. Could it be something else?

Water pump most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Sorry, I was thinking of a timing belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I got the water pump done on mine recently €300 with main dealer. It's kind of a grumbly growling noise more than a rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Does it have a VW service history?

€300 is mad money. The pump itself is €35 ex vat from the dealer and it's less than an hour to change it. You'd be looking at €150 max including a new auxiliary drive belt if you went the independent route.

Does it have a VW service history?

Yes.

Do you still service with your dealer? If so i'd definitely push for goodwill from VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Paid 550 recently for mine. 230 for kit and 320 for oil change and labour

€300 is mad money. The pump itself is €35 ex vat from the dealer and it's less than an hour to change it. You'd be looking at €150 max including a new auxiliary drive belt if you went the independent route.

They had me over a barrel George, it had gotten distinctly noisier in the space of a few days and I had a 500km journey looming.

Do you still service with your dealer? If so i'd definitely push for goodwill from VW.

Yes, and I will!

Bring it to George and get it done properly. If mine gets rattly that's where it's going. Only I was tight for time I'd have gotten the water pump done by him too.

Update on this.

The chain is rattling and VW are going to cover the full cost of the repair, parts and labour. I'm obviously happy and impressed that VW did the right thing here, well done VW.

I'm certain that the fact that the car has a full VW service history since new helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Fair play

• Advertisement

Good example of why paying a little extra at the main dealer for servicing can pay off.

2 years out of warranty and you got 100% parts and labour goodwill.

Update on this.

The chain is rattling and VW are going to cover the full cost of the repair, parts and labour. I'm obviously happy and impressed that VW did the right thing here, well done VW.

I'm certain that the fact that the car has a full VW service history since new helped.

That's a fantastic result. That's why I'm sticking with the main dealer for servicing too. Is your engine the 122 bhp single turbo?

jca wrote: »
    That's a fantastic result. That's why I'm sticking with the main dealer for servicing too. Is your engine the 122 bhp single turbo?

That's the one.

Update on this.

VW covered the full cost of the repair. Seemingly if the car is under 5 years old with a FVWSH you are as well positioned as you can be. I made it clear to the dealer that I was aware of the fault with these chains, and expected VW to do the right thing as they had looked after the car since day 1. I would imagine it helped that I was well informed as to the nature of this problem.

While they had the car they noticed the water pump was weeping, so this and coolant was replaced and a VW basic service (oil/filter) was carried out as well. The car was presented spotlessly clean having been mini valeted inside and out. The cost for this work was €300.

I had a courtesy car for a few days.

I have to say I was very impressed with how this was handled, both by VW and in particularly the dealer and service advisor (Frank Keane Deansgrange). I've found them excellent on each occasion they have had the car. It's customer service like this that really builds loyalty with the customer, so well done VW.

+1 for Frank Keane

Advertisement