Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with car worth basically nothing?

• 13-08-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Anyway family got new car,as old one wouldnt pass coming nct in a next month,thus was told just to get rid of it,all would been well since thought might bag 500e selling it decent return in my mind,before hit dondeal and seen that same model with yrs nct some tax and overall few times better shape would be going for 600-700e at most.

Now the model is mazda 323f hatch 2002 1.3l,great car since over the years was maintained to overall minimum just whatever works would be needed for nct and filters oil change/brake pads which i would do myself and cost minimum to run and never give bother on electrics or engine side.But if anyone's familiar with them models particularly 2000-3
    they have factory fault with rust getting around wheel arches,now on the one it would been everlasting battle for last couple years to get most of them patched,but it spread to point where its possible to poke out metal pieces around arches front and back.besides that only other issue is clutch on the way out-so reckon minimum cost to bring it back on road would be at least 1000e for another year or two if wanting to keep it,which i sort of would since its nice car overall and cheap maintenance if not looking too closely at rust thats destroyed and spreading-since its been basically work horse just to get around and never put any cash or much effort since getting it to maintain.

so now in crossroads what to do with it,since could bring it to breakers and get 200e at best which they would turn into at least few times amount of that on parts alone,try selling in parts myself and recoup extra few hundred,but no space to keep it in estate and would look barebones,or get someone to store and just restore in time which again not sure of cost longterm and even if its worth it,since love the look of it and cheap running cost,but again better one could be gotten for fraction if needed,since car is road legit for another month with nct and tax and just sickness me to just sell it for what could be price of a new tire.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

DDeal
    Get a few quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

You won't get anywhere near 200 quid for that car of the breakers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well as it seems it will be going DD way,but wonder maybe should get whatever parts possible off console,lights,interior parts and sell as scrap metal afterwards to any local yard that will collect it,just to squeeze extra cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You won't get anywhere near 200 quid for that car of the breakers

€20 would be more realistic.

It's only worth it's weight in scrap metal to a breaker. They would make sod all parting it out. It's an older, obscure model, demand for spares will be slim to none.

Just call it a day OP and bin it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's worth €100 privately. Nobody wants them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

scamalert wrote: »
    well as it seems it will be going DD way,but wonder maybe should get whatever parts possible off console,lights,interior parts and sell as scrap metal afterwards to any local yard that will collect it,just to squeeze extra cash.

You will get no money from a scrap dealer that has to collect.
    You will struggle to make money off parts yourself so best bet is stick it on donedeal and take whatever you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

guess your right guys need to be realistic few quid better then none given condition its in anyways.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

scamalert wrote: »
    Anyway family got new car,as old one wouldnt pass coming nct in a next month,thus was told just to get rid of it,all would been well since thought might bag 500e selling it decent return in my mind,before hit dondeal and seen that same model with yrs nct some tax and overall few times better shape would be going for 600-700e at most.

Now the model is mazda 323f hatch 2002 1.3l,great car since over the years was maintained to overall minimum just whatever works would be needed for nct and filters oil change/brake pads which i would do myself and cost minimum to run and never give bother on electrics or engine side.But if anyone's familiar with them models particularly 2000-3
    they have factory fault with rust getting around wheel arches,now on the one it would been everlasting battle for last couple years to get most of them patched,but it spread to point where its possible to poke out metal pieces around arches front and back.besides that only other issue is clutch on the way out-so reckon minimum cost to bring it back on road would be at least 1000e for another year or two if wanting to keep it,which i sort of would since its nice car overall and cheap maintenance if not looking too closely at rust thats destroyed and spreading-since its been basically work horse just to get around and never put any cash or much effort since getting it to maintain.

so now in crossroads what to do with it,since could bring it to breakers and get 200e at best which they would turn into at least few times amount of that on parts alone,try selling in parts myself and recoup extra few hundred,but no space to keep it in estate and would look barebones,or get someone to store and just restore in time which again not sure of cost longterm and even if its worth it,since love the look of it and cheap running cost,but again better one could be gotten for fraction if needed,since car is road legit for another month with nct and tax and just sickness me to just sell it for what could be price of a new tire.

tldr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Car is scrap, breakers yard is where it belongs unless someone buys it for parts.

Parting it out at home might seem good idea but it will be difficult to sell on parts, time consuming and not practical if it's your front garden.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Didn't bother reading the too long OP

If you have them taxed and nct'd, scrappage scheme offers are hard to pass up, or sell them on done deal.

Other than that get 100 off the scrappy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Google common faults with them, what ever parts seem to fail a lot then whip them off and stick them on adverts. If your around Dublin/Wicklow area then ring Leon recycling in arklow, they'll give you a price for the car and collect it.
    If the tyres are anyway new I may take them and replace them with old ones so it's still rolling.

Advertisement