Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Office Alternatives?

Options
  • 13-08-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

My free trial of MS Office is coming to an end. I'm not paying a subscription for it so looking for alternatives. Open Office and LibreOffice seem popular so a quick question. I have some old password protected MS documents so will either of these work/be compatible and open the old documents with the password?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Update.

I decided not to wait for expiry and dumped MS Office. WPS Office is another freebie so decided to give it a whirl and sure enough it does open the password protected documents. :)

https://www.wps.com/office-free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Libre office is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Never heard of WPS before, it actually looks decent.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

While WPS seems to be almost identical in functions to MS Office, it is rather obtuse in its payment models. As far as I can tell, when you first install it, it puts you in a 30 day premium trial mode (but it doesn't say so) which will revert to free mode with alleged restrictions like either no or only watermarked printing. However, I cannot say from experience as I just had a look at it. Something to be aware of. If that has changed recently then it's definitely a good word alternative. Otherwise stick with library office, a bit more dated look but will do the job just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

MS Office is a good deal IMO, specially with the 1tb onedrive space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Libre Office and Google Docs/Sheets etc are all fine imo unless you're a heavy excel user.

Nothing out there comes close to Excel and it is worth every penny of an MS office sub if you need it

Advertisement