Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomaskent and casement

Options
  • 13-08-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I understand KENT and casement were both executed but not in kilmanahon. I'm pretty sure casement was executed in England as he had being captured from smuggling arms for the rising earlier, but why was Kent in cork when the executions happened and how was he if the rising had just took place and he was there for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

He never made it to Dublin in the first place because MacNeill had cancelled the main action. The RIC decided to round up sympathisers and he resisted arrest.

And yes, Casement was executed in August in London.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 29 History buff

So he never physical fought in 1916 in the so called event am i correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What do you mean by "so-called event"? Are you suggesting that the Rising never really happened?

Whether Kent fought in the "event" depends on what you mean by "event". If you use the term "event" to refer purely to the fighting in Dublin then, no, he didn't fight in the event; he was in Cork throughout. But if you use the term "event" to refer to the armed uprising by republican forces, and the armed response of the crown forces, and all the fighting arising out of that, then, yes, he fought in the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Kent was in a four-hour firefight with the RIC who went to arrest him, a senior RIC officer being killed in the process. After his trial he was shot by firing squad at what was the Military Detention Barracks in Cork, later to become the recently closed Cork Gaol behind Collins Barracks.

Advertisement