Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

use up remaining funds on pre-paid credit card

• 13-08-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Would anyone have an idea on what to do with the remaining balance on a pre-paid credit card ?

I received a card a a gift a year ago and now it's empty except for EUR 3.60. It's not a card I can top up again but I don't want to let this balance go to waste. Steam does not let me purchase something with EUR 3.60 from one credit card and the rest from another. Meteor does only let me top up online in 5 EUR steps. I also checked Paypal to see if I can add funds to the wallet but that only works from a bank account.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can you not just use it in a supermarket? or is it only for use online? I guess its only a number you get so can't be used in tesco.

If only usable online I'd be getting something on www.dx.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

rubadub wrote: »
    Can you not just use it in a supermarket? or is it only for use online? I guess its only a number you get so can't be used in tesco.

If only usable online I'd be getting something on www.dx.com

The trick is the balance of EUR 3.60 so unless I find something that costs exactly EUR 3.60 I can't use it.

As for the supermarket, they have a fee for each credit card transaction so for a purchase of maybe EUR 10 they won't let me use the credit card for EUR 3.60 and then the rest in cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

You can convert it into an Amazon voucher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-E-mail-Amazon-co-uk-Gift-Voucher/dp/B006AUF6X0/ref=sr_1_1?s=gift-cards&ie=UTF8&qid=1471136815&sr=1-1

Enter a custom amount (about £3, depending on the conversion rate), email it to yourself, and pay for it with your prepaid credit card. Make sure to pay in € though, to make sure you have enough for the amount you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Haithabu wrote: »
    The trick is the balance of EUR 3.60 so unless I find something that costs exactly EUR 3.60 I can't use it..
    that dx.com site have lots of cheap that could add up to 3.60, maybe some batteries or something.
    Haithabu wrote: »
    As for the supermarket, they have a fee for each credit card transaction.
    Not sure if you meant the prepaid company have a fee, or the supermarket. In the likes of newsagents and smaller shops they often have a 10euro limit before they will accept a card. In tesco there is no lower liimit, I often use the CC below 10euro. I heard supermarkets have different payment agreements with banks and would not be paying the same high fees as small shops.

In tesco at the self service checkout I get rid of loose change, you can add change in and when I run out of change I pay the balance with the CC, in your case you would keep an eye on the screen and when it gets to 3.60 being the remaining balance you use the CC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doubt the self service tills will take a swipe card - I've used them in Tesco but had to sign for them before. Never seen a disposable prepaid with a chip, yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement