Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austin Montegro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jaysus, you'd need the rose tinted specs on for that!

Give me a Rover 200 from the same era every time.

Looks clean as a whistle. Still a turd though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

I'd prefer a Rover 200 as well, any links to clean ones for sale ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There all coming out now, makes me wonder why more people don't buy these instead of expensive clapped out younger cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They were absolute rubbish in the '80's when the competition wasn't exactly fierce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There all coming out now, makes me wonder why more people don't buy these instead of expensive clapped out younger cars.

Simple, they can't get insurance on something like whats posted above. And who wants to drive a hearing aid?

The brown Allegro is far more interesting. Reminds me of my Maxi. If you're going to drive crap it may as well be interesting crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Anyone with a Montego fetish should try to get a copy of Car Mechanics magazine from I think August or September 2009. The magazine used to have a "200k mile club" feature where owners would send in stories on their high mileage cars - in this edition there was a fella with a Rover Montego with 700k+ miles that he had owned for years and used for his work as a courier. If I recall it had a lot of rust even with already having had a lot of bodywork done.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Anyone with a Montego fetish should try to get a copy of Car Mechanics magazine from I think August or September 2009. The magazine used to have a "200k mile club" feature where owners would send in stories on their high mileage cars - in this edition there was a fella with a Rover Montego with 700k+ miles that he had owned for years and used for his work as a courier. If I recall it had a lot of rust even with already having had a lot of bodywork done.

There is an MG Maestro Turbo in the UK with about the same mileage. I don't think it has any rust issues. It's been well.minded though.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Simple, they can't get insurance on something like whats posted above. And who wants to drive a hearing aid?

It's as easy a any other 10 y.o. car, and in fact easier if classic insurance suits. As for the hearing aid, I agree the other two cars suggested look better, but not everyone wants to spend thousands more on a "newer" clapped out 200k diesel something, that looks likes a DNA / steriod experiment mess from resident evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is a Montegro the love child of a Montego and an Allegro? :D

• Advertisement

It's as easy a any other 10 y.o. car, and in fact easier if classic insurance suits.
    It's not that easy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

peasant wrote: »
    I'd rather have this, it's brown :D

Like it but that Morris Minor... I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Had a Montego 1.6 back about 1990. CZS 703. Tank of a car. Comfortable and spacious. Give no trouble, but the metric size tyres were a pain. Interior from poorly designed/fitted.
    Neighbour won new one in a draw in Longford Rugby Club. Absolute lemon. EVERTHING give trouble with his. Except the gearbox. It was from Volkswagon.

Advertisement