Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owning a small boat

• 14-08-2016 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

So my wife and I are day dreaming about having a boat to use on blessington lakes and being able to take it out at skerries , arklow , howth , bray etc. with the kids for a day.

Can anyone tell me what are the practicalities of this ? Can i just buy a boat from done deal or similar and head off on the water?Do i need a license? Do i need training ? Is there different boats for the lake or sea ?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

What kind of boat?

Are you thinking something with a cabin, an open boat for day fishing, something that goes fast, sailing boat etc?

You don't need a license but I'd recommend doing a boat handling course. Depending on size, you'll may need to register it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/recreational_activities_in_ireland/sport_and_leisure/licensing_of_boats_and_watercraft_in_ireland.html

You'll also need a VHF radio and at minimum a hand-held GPS / chart plotter to navigate.

The only thing I can tell you for sure is buying it will be the cheap part :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

scwazrh wrote: »
    So my wife and I are day dreaming about having a boat to use on blessington lakes and being able to take it out at skerries , arklow , howth , bray etc. with the kids for a day.

Can anyone tell me what are the practicalities of this ? Can i just buy a boat from done deal or similar and head off on the water?Do i need a license? Do i need training ? Is there different boats for the lake or sea ?

The sad reality in Ireland is that there is little to no regulation meaning anyone can buy a boat and head out to sea with no training or experience.
    The sea can be a treacherous and unforgiving place, even for the experienced. Do not take a boat out until you have at least had some basic boating training, gained a knowledge of tides and winds, harbour etiquette as well as taking a safety course (one offered by BIM) and also take a VHF Radio course. Then there is the maintenance side of boating such as anti-fouling. be prepared, they say a boat is a hole in the water in which to pour your money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭scwazrh

thanks guys .

We are thinking of something that we can head out either on a lake or very close to shore and do some fishing. Would prefer a speed boat with a small cabin.

Do not take a boat out until you have at least had some basic boating training, gained a knowledge of tides and winds, harbour etiquette as well as taking a safety course (one offered by BIM) and also take a VHF Radio course. Then there is the maintenance side of boating such as anti-fouling.

Where can i do a course on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Where are you based?

The ISA have training centres and affilliates around the country, If you are in Dublin or thereabouts, check out http://www.powerboatschool.ie/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Another thing to think about is the weight of the boat with a standard driving licence you can only tow up to 750 kg for anything bigger than that you need an EB licence.
    Most speed boats with a cabin will be over 750kg so you might be better off looking at something like an Orkney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fergal.b wrote: »
    Another thing to think about is the weight of the boat with a standard driving licence you can only tow up to 750 kg for anything bigger than that you need an EB licence.
    Most speed boats with a cabin will be over 750kg so you might be better off looking at something like an Orkney.

You can tow a combination of 3.5t on a B licence. The DGVW of the tow vehicle and trailer are what counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

scwazrh wrote: »

You can't just take a boat out on the lakes at Blessington. See this link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055720201
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

"
    We are thinking of something that we can head out either on a lake or very close to shore and do some fishing. Would prefer a speed boat with a small cabin."

Very close to shore is potentially the most dangerous place in the sea.

Do at least a one day power boat training class maybe followed by a one day sailing class in somewhere like dun laoghaire, you'll save the cost of the course 10 times over when you it comes time to purchasing a boat never mind how much safer you and your family will be if you're still keen to hit the open water.

Advertisement