Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost available in recycling centres, any good?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

In the recycling centre near me - Gullistan Terrace in Rathmines - they have a heap of compost you can fill up with if you recycle your garden waste - does anybody have an opinion whether this stuff is good? Can it be used as a mulch or general soil improver? Apparently it's made from the material put into brown bins, and other composting from stuff collected at recycling centres.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Absolutely fine. Take all you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They did that where I lived in the Netherlands ages ago, quite right too, if they get my green waste for free and make compost to sell it on and make a profit, then I should be able to get some free in return.

It's very high quality as it's being produced on an industrial scale, so temperatures in the centre of the heap get pretty high killing off a lot of seeds and other nasties. My only problem with it was that, probably due to people not being 100% careful about what they put in the bin, there was a little bit of contamination from plastics. Putting it through a coarse garden sieve first got rid of all that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Great! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Re Alun's post:
    Don't get me going. From what I have observed in a number of different group self-catering situations, the vast majority of the population neither knows nor cares what goes into which bin!

Advertisement