Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking around the docks? 24hrs

Options
  • 14-08-2016 2:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭

So, I was in Galway tonight, I noticed that you have to pay for 24hr parking on the streets around the docks....why is this?
    Do the dock company own the streets? F##kers want a couple of million from tax payer to fund a new dock ,but want to f##k us over for 24hr parking and clamping.. kiss my arse, Galway port company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Do the dock company own the streets?

I think so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I am not down there very often but once I parked there using a disabled permit. When I was walking away from the car I saw a notice about the Port or Dock Company having authority over this area not the council. I rang the number on the notice or the city council (I can't remember which it was) to be told that city council do not oversee it and that it was the Dock Company's remit or words to that effect and even a disabled permit is no good there. So I went back and drove off.

Probably the Dock Company has the run of the area because of some medieval statute or something like that. I don't know. It seems strange in this day and age. I don't know why they would have control of the area. It's not as if the area needs to be cordoned off to transport a ship around the place every day. It looks like a public road to me. I have never seen a car clamped there and I have never seen a Dock Company's van patrolling the area either. However, as I said, I am not down there very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Storm 10

bobbyss wrote: »
    I am not down there very often but once I parked there using a disabled permit. When I was walking away from the car I saw a notice about the Port or Dock Company having authority over this area not the council. I rang the number on the notice or the city council (I can't remember which it was) to be told that city council do not oversee it and that it was the Dock Company's remit or words to that effect and even a disabled permit is no good there. So I went back and drove off.

Probably the Dock Company has the run of the area because of some medieval statute or something like that. I don't know. It seems strange in this day and age. I don't know why they would have control of the area. It's not as if the area needs to be cordoned off to transport a ship around the place every day. It looks like a public road to me. I have never seen a car clamped there and I have never seen a Dock Company's van patrolling the area either. However, as I said, I am not down there very often.

They drive around in an unmarked van I have seen quite a few clamped there , the roads around the docks are belong to Galway Port, in the old days there were train tracks running along the road and you can see where the train used to come and go opposite the Harbour Hotel carrying freight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So, I was in Galway tonight, I noticed that you have to pay for 24hr parking on the streets around the docks....why is this?
    Do the dock company own the streets? F##kers want a couple of million from tax payer to fund a new dock ,but want to f##k us over for 24hr parking and clamping.. kiss my arse, Galway port company.

Do you really think you should be able to store your vehicle on their land for free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Ericdravancrow

Do you really think you should be able to store your vehicle on their land for free?

O'Bumble, who said anything about free, imo there is nothing to warrant 24hr parking fees in Galway.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They drive around in an unmarked van I have seen quite a few clamped there , the roads around the docks are belong to Galway Port, in the old days there were train tracks running along the road and you can see where the train used to come and go opposite the Harbour Hotel carrying freight away.

Those days are long gone. I see no reason why Galway Port should be allowed to supervise that area nowadays and deny a disabled permit holder a space.

O'Bumble, who said anything about free, imo there is nothing to warrant 24hr parking fees in Galway.

So you think that Hynes Yard and Q-park at the Radisson etc should offer free parking in the buildings at certain times, too?

Parking on city council owned land is free nights, Sundays and bank holidays.

But if you want to park on privately owned land, then the owners get to choose the fees.

Do they maintain the roads, traffic lights, streets lights, paths, drainage, signage on these roads, doubtful. It should be handed over to council, for our support of new dock project.
    I bet the main people caught out by this 24hr parking are tourist's and people not familiar to this street, which is the only street in Galway that is 24hrs parking charges.... which is a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Just don't park there. There are lots of other places.

boardzz wrote: »
    Just don't park there. There are lots of other places.

I didn't, the point of the thread is that the port company shouldn't have any thing to do with street parking. And 24hr parking charges on the street are boll#x.

• Advertisement

They don't have anything to do with street parking - they have to do with parking on docks.

They could just as easily fence off the whole area like along dock road.

You saw the signs, decided it wasn't worth it and parked somewhere else.

I don't really see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

bobbyss wrote: »
    Storm 10 wrote: »

Those days are long gone. I see no reason why Galway Port should be allowed to supervise that area nowadays and deny a disabled permit holder a space.

There is disabled parking along the docks

They don't have anything to do with street talking - they have to do with parking on docks.

They could just as easily fence off the whole area like along dock road.

You saw the signs, decided it wasn't worth it and parked somewhere else.

I don't really see the issue.

Ha ha...are u mental, they could section off the road if they wanted!! No they couldn't.
    I don't think you're on the ball about where I'm talking about.
    It's the whole road from the Victoria hotel to the corner of the road by Dun Angus apts. Not the area inside the barrier.

JillyQ wrote: »

But do the Port Company honour it...as it seems they can apply whatever conditions they want to this road... including 24hr parking charges, when no other part of Galway has this "on street"

Yes they do. I have a family member who uses that area regularly.

I must have missed it. Thanks for letting me know.

Where exactly is there a disabled parking space(s) supervised by Galway Port?

One is up towards Victoria place other two are down across from dun aengus.

OP I'm not sure what part you are struggling with - the Galway Harbour Company owns lands including what you consider street parking. They decide the price they charge for parking.

http://www.galwayharbourextension.com/download/3-galway-harbour-land-ownership-maps-pdf/

Ha ha...are u mental, they could section off the road if they wanted!! No they couldn't.
    I don't think you're on the ball about where I'm talking about.
    It's the whole road from the Victoria hotel to the corner of the road by Dun Angus apts. Not the area inside the barrier.

It is not pg633 who is displaying learning difficulties here.

We know exactly where you mean.

The harbour company own the land, including the part that they have a deal with the council to allow public road access.

They can charge what they like for providing car storage to the public.

If you don't like it, park around the corner. Simples.

It is not pg633 who is displaying learning difficulties here.

We know exactly where you mean.

The harbour company own the land, including the part that they have a deal with the council to allow public road access.

They can charge what they like for providing car storage to the public.

If you don't like it, park around the corner. Simples.

O'Bumble, of course I didn't park there, car storage??? I think most people call it car parking, if it was storage, I'm sure they would be liable to any damages caused while "in storage"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They own the land.

Dock Rd. is actually leased to the council from the Port Authority, a nice earner i'm sure but i'd prefer my tax money going to pay for the lease instead of a toll, or worse again, no Dock Rd. at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i never really thought about owneship of the land down there. i presumed it was publically owned. i was aware of the existance of the dock authotity but never really thought about what they do or how they control the area. can anyone point me in the right direction to a good article about how this all came about?

It is publicly owned - it is owned by the department of transport rather than galway county council.
    http://www.dttas.ie/maritime/english/national-ports-policy-0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

OT - but somewhat relevant to the conversation. Galway Port could soon come under the control of Galway City Council soon. If Port expansion does not go ahead it will be a Tier 3/Regional Port. Many of them in Ireland are now under control of the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It is publicly owned - it is owned by the department of transport rather than galway county council.
    http://www.dttas.ie/maritime/english/national-ports-policy-0

Did you read the whole link and the following bit referring amongst others to Galway? Still privately owned although a "process is .... underway"

"The longer-term development of these ports is best placed within their regional and local communities to allow both develop in a manner that is mutually beneficial.

A process is currently underway to facilitate the transfer of control of these ports to more suitable local authority structures."

Their 2014 annual accounts refer the "proposed new shareholder, Galway City Council."

One is up towards Victoria place other two are down across from dun aengus.

I actually couldn't see the one towards Victoria Place. Certainly, I didn't see one around the hotel or in Queen Street which I think leads onto Dock Road. Are you sure about it? Where exactly is it as I would use that place a lot.

I could only see one disabled place across from Dun Aengus. A simple wheelchair logo not painted in blue. Mind you a car was parked on the space beside which may have covered the other logo?

Advertisement