Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Dog Food Contamination

• 14-08-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I received a distressed phone call this morning from my brother. His dog is in a critical condition in the vets since last night. She was not-stop vomiting and had bloody diarrhoea. She's touch and go at the moment.

The vet initially thought it was an infection in her uterus but after blood tests, he believes that it was food poisoning from the Aldi tinned dog food.
    Aldi was notified of my brother's situation this morning. To my knowledge the food has not been recalled.

I thought I'd post this so that if you/ anyone you know is using the dog food, they can be made aware.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I can't find any recall notices on dog food from Aldi. They had to recall some human biscuits a while ago, but absolutely no mention of dog food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

muddypaws wrote: »
    I can't find any recall notices on dog food from Aldi. They had to recall some human biscuits a while ago, but absolutely no mention of dog food.
    Me neither, they're usually pretty good at publicising things like that too.

Also I'm interested as to how a vet would be able to determine it was a specific dog food based only on a blood test without getting the food tested too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

Alun wrote: »
    Me neither, they're usually pretty good at publicising things like that too.

Also I'm interested as to how a vet would be able to determine it was a specific dog food based only on a blood test without getting the food tested too.

It was the only thing the dog had eaten that day. She's an indoor dog so there's no risk of outside poisoning. Also she's not allowed titbits/ human food.

The vet told my brother that the food was pulled a couple of weeks back. I don't use Aldi dog food myself so if it was recalled I wouldn't be aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

It was the only thing the dog had eaten that day. She's an indoor dog so there's no risk of outside poisoning. Also she's not allowed titbits/ human food.

The vet told my brother that the food was pulled a couple of weeks back. I don't use Aldi dog food myself so if it was recalled I wouldn't be aware.

Is it the Earls supreme cuisine?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/pet-care/dog-food/dog-food-products-detail-page/ps/p/earls-supreme-cuisine-300g/

I don't use it either, but a quick google will usually show up recalled products, and nothing is showing at all.

Unfortunately, sometimes, must because a dog isn't allowed something, doesn't stop them ingesting danger food or objects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't use it either, but a quick google will usually show up recalled products, and nothing is showing at all.

Unfortunately, sometimes, must because a dog isn't allowed something, doesn't stop them ingesting danger food or objects

The vets said it was recalled a few weeks ago, maybe it was longer than that or maybe he is mistaking the brands, I'm not sure. My brother emailed Aldi this morning about the situation so hopefully they will look into it. I just wanted to pass on what the vet said to other dog owners just so that they're aware that the food might be contaminated. The vet is adamant that it must be the food.

Also his dog is a Dachshund cross JRT, so she's tiny and can't jump very high (he had to make a step for her to get on the couch). The vet checked for blockages and foreign objects but was unable to find any. She didn't pass anything foreign either. She's still in a pretty bad way, her temperature has dropped significantly.

The vets said it was recalled a few weeks ago, maybe it was longer than that or maybe he is mistaking the brands, I'm not sure. My brother emailed Aldi this morning about the situation so hopefully they will look into it. I just wanted to pass on what the vet said to other dog owners just so that they're aware that the food might be contaminated. The vet is adamant that it must be the food.

Also his dog is a Dachshund cross JRT, so she's tiny and can't jump very high (he had to make a step for her to get on the couch). The vet checked for blockages and foreign objects but was unable to find any. She didn't pass anything foreign either. She's still in a pretty bad way, her temperature has dropped significantly.

If he is mistaking the brands, then posting on the internet that a particular brand has been withdrawn due to contamination could get the poster of that information into trouble, which isn't the vet, but you OP. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Facts need to be got straight here before accusing a supermarket of selling contaminated food

I've edited my initial post. I cannot find any history of dog food recall. I should have fact-checked before I posted hear-say.

My brother hasn't received a response from Aldi as of yet. Hopefully, Aldi will investigate the food and get to the bottom of this situation. The dog's temperature is stable at the minute but she still has blood-filled diarrhoea. The vets not sure whether she'll pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd be fairly certain my two would puke/have blood filled diarrhea if they ate aldi food contaminated or not!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is really inappropriate to discuss a product in this manner with absolutely no proof.
    Thread closed.
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement