Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living outside Europe - Getting Irish food

Options
  • 14-08-2016 12:16pm

Dunno if this is the right forum for this. Can't figure out a good wording for the question either. :o

I'm living mostly in China where it's almost impossible to find Irish products for meat. I'm wondering are there any decent methods of getting something like decent rashers and white pudding abroad? (not american or canadian bacon) Importing etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: No replies in the Food forum, OP, so I've moved this into Living Abroad and hopefully you'll get some help in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I only ever saw hot dogs or taiwan sweet style sausages in China. You can buy American style bacon (rashers) in most supermarkets and they do the job for me. The only Irish products I have seen is Kerrygold butter and some of their by products, and Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You can get bacon/meat through customs or bag checks? You don't get them removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

I'm living in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I've never had a problem at customs in China and none of my luggage was ever searched, as far as I'm aware. I'd say it might be worth putting them in a cooler bag in your checked luggage.

Having said that, I understand there has been a furore in recent months about import duty being put on anything and everything bought in foreign countries. Apparently bags are being opened and contents are being itemised according to their tax bracket and people have to pay whatever is due. If there are no receipts then the security guys will put their value on the goods. This is an attempt to discourage the rich Chinese people going on foreign shopping sprees, so I'm not sure if non-Chinese have to pay or if their luggage is now more likely to be checked.

Advertisement