Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa Galway?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, I am moving to Galway to attend the university very soon but I had one thing that bothered/worried me

When I came to visit I saw a lot of graffiti/stickers/vandalism with antifa flags etc...

In Brazil the antifa act like a criminal organization and often attack innocent people for the colour of their skin...

So police and civilians often take down their work in Brazil so they don't keep fostering fear but here it seems that no one cares

Who are these people?

Are there a lot of them?

Are they dangerous?

I was attacked a year ago in Brazil because I was wearing a German football jersey - can I expect the same here?

Thanks in advance,

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Are you sure it's Galway you visited? I've been around 50+ years and don't think I've ever seen an Antifa flag here.
    Now, if you are a fascist and go around shouting about it you won't gain many friends here, but that's all.
    If you decide to wear an English Jersey you can expect to get a bit of friendly slagging.
    See ya soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

If you decide to wear an English Jersey you can expect to get a bit of friendly slagging.
    See ya soon.
    Tourists in Galway city can also be very occasionally seen with bags with Union Jack flags embroidered on them. They'll may get some cheerful shtick about it but that's about all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BraziltoGalway

Are you sure it's Galway you visited? I've been around 50+ years and don't think I've ever seen an Antifa flag here.
    Now, if you are a fascist and go around shouting about it you won't gain many friends here, but that's all.
    See ya soon.

I'm not sure what the area is called but I was near a canal (it was behind some bars and went to the university) and all of that area has giant spray painted antifa flags and stickers as well as the university is littered with stickers... It's kind of hard to miss.

I'm not a fascist just in Brazil situation seems to be constant fighting between far left and civilians... I don't know how it is in Europe but there it is dangerous to go out some places alone or in small group if you look a certain way :(

Ah, the graffiti at that spot changes all the time. It could be a pic of a cat next time.
    Nothing to worry about. We are very relaxed here.

Ah, the graffiti at that spot changes all the time. It could be a pic of a cat next time.
    Nothing to worry about. We are very relaxed here.

Thanks I'm still worried but I hope it's kids or something that do this and not violent people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

No there's no real gangs like that going around beating people. While there is some violence, it's normally one-off stuff - drunks etc getting into an argument or the odd dead-ender with nothing better to do. Nothing organised, no rioting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hi, I am moving to Galway to attend the university very soon but I had one thing that bothered/worried me

When I came to visit I saw a lot of graffiti/stickers/vandalism with antifa flags etc...

In Brazil the antifa act like a criminal organization and often attack innocent people for the colour of their skin...

So police and civilians often take down their work in Brazil so they don't keep fostering fear but here it seems that no one cares

Who are these people?

Are there a lot of them?

Are they dangerous?

I was attacked a year ago in Brazil because I was wearing a German football jersey - can I expect the same here?

Thanks in advance,

G

It's very likely to be some harmless students who vaguely heard about it and thought the flag sticker looked cool. I've not noticed them ever.

And as long as you take sensible precautions, Galway is as safe a city as you'll find.

Welcome and hope you enjoy your time here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Antifa in Galway are no threat to anyone. Deffo not going to bother you unless you walk around in a swastika shirt or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Galway is a very safe city. Unprovoked attacks would be extremely rare, you have nothing to worry about.

Lockstep wrote: »
    Antifa in Galway are no threat to anyone. Deffo not going to bother you unless you walk around in a swastika shirt or something.

So if I did they're still not a threat? ;P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Lockstep wrote: »

Tbh they shouldn't be bothering anyone no matter what they wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Their FB page, feel free to ask them any questions there https://www.facebook.com/galwayafa/

It's seems their contributions to local society so far extend to grafitti

biko wrote: »

It's seems their contributions to local society so far extend to grafitti

Ah that's the graffiti I was talking about. Is there are reason why there's so much of it in that area? Do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know.
    I have never met any of them or seen them around town, or even mentioned in conversation.
    Perhaps some of them attend uni right now, I doubt it's more than a handful.

No-one here is afraid of them so there is no reason for you to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Had honestly never heard of them until you posted this. Thought I'd heard of all the protest groups in Galway by now :D

I wouldn't worry about it OP. Protest groups in Galway are generally based around handing out flyers on the main street. I've never heard of any organised violence or gang type behaviour. Even in comparison to other towns/cities in Ireland (the worst of which still having nothing compared to what you might see in Brazil), Galway is one of the safest. You might see 2 drunks fighting at 2am but that's probably the most you'll see.

So welcome and enjoy your time here OP! Don't study too hard ;)

Had honestly never heard of them until you posted this. Thought I'd heard of all the protest groups in Galway by now :D

I wouldn't worry about it OP. Protest groups in Galway are generally based around handing out flyers on the main street. I've never heard of any organised violence or gang type behaviour. Even in comparison to other towns/cities in Ireland (the worst of which still having nothing compared to what you might see in Brazil), Galway is one of the safest. You might see 2 drunks fighting at 2am but that's probably the most you'll see.

So welcome and enjoy your time here OP! Don't study too hard ;)

Hi sorry I can't link to it as I am a new user but I found a news article saying they followed someone home a couple years ago and beat them up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Hi sorry I can't link to it as I am a new user but I found a news article saying they followed someone home a couple years ago and beat them up?!

Where did you find it? Galway Advertiser, Irish Times, etc.?

It happened a few years ago? That's very strange. Definitely don't remember hearing about that happening. It's definitely not "a thing" here. I've never heard anybody discuss them before today. We don't have gangs here in the same way ye would.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can't say I have ever heard of them in any shape or form and I've lived here my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Arghus wrote: »
    Can't say I have ever heard of them in any shape or form and I've lived here my entire life.

Same as, it's just not a thing here.

It's the first time in ages I've seen everybody on this forum agreeing on something.
    None of us even noticed the things.

Let us know when you arrive and you can be the Guest Of Honour at a Galway Boards Beers (wear a Connacht Rugby Jersey just in case somebody from Mayo infiltrates us).

There is a big Brazilian community about 30km from the city if you need further reassurance (Google 'Gort').

Alternatively bring some of your female friends over to visit and you will be the most popular person in town ;-)

You'll be grand.*

*Galway expression.

• Advertisement

Hi, I know people told me they aren't dangerous and I was convinced until now... They just posted a picture of them all in balaclavas with their flag... They look to be doing the same stuff as in Brazil I would not be surprised if they hurt people, they look bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi, I know people told me they aren't dangerous and I was convinced until now... They just posted a picture of them all in balaclavas with their flag... They look to be doing the same stuff as in Brazil I would not be surprised if they hurt people, they look bad.

Honestly i have never seen this around Galway, are you seeing it on some facebook page?. Some people are very brave from behind the keyboard but wouldn't say boo in real life.. :rolleyes:

Honestly i have never seen this around Galway, are you seeing it on some facebook page?. Some people are very brave from behind the keyboard but wouldn't say boo in real life.. :rolleyes:

There is a photo now on their Facebook page it is AFA Galway - how is this permitted by police? Them taking pictures in balaclavas in threatening fashion???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So i just looked that up, i'm a good few years in galway generally working at night and this is my first knowledge of these guys, their page is amateur at best, due to it's racist nature i reported it but doubt that'll make much difference.. In any case i wouldn't be worried about it to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

OP

I come from dublin and I would not feel safe walking some of the streets at night time

I've never felt that in any part of galway EVER i'm here 9 years.

The local people sometimes joke with me about being from Dublin but its only joking.

Forget about these people and enjoy your time in galway it is very very very safe

Dont let something that wont happen ruin your experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

A lot of Galway people and have a air of entitlement and blinkered vision. They project Galway as been the best at everything and that it has no flaws. Once the surface is scratched there is multitude problems in Galway. Crime and burglaries are up. Homeless & drugs are rampant across the city but the police are great at moving it along so it's not evident in the tourist areas. Galway is a lovely city but don't be fooled into thinking there isn't a seedy element aswell. Mind your belongings, be careful of your surroundings and stay on your toes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There is a photo now on their Facebook page it is AFA Galway - how is this permitted by police? Them taking pictures in balaclavas in threatening fashion???

For gods sake man, how many times have you been told you will be quite safe, why bother asking for advice if you are going to ignore it? Why the hell would you have anything to fear from this group anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So i just looked that up, i'm a good few years in galway generally working at night and this is my first knowledge of these guys, their page is amateur at best, due to it's racist nature i reported it but doubt that'll make much difference.. In any case i wouldn't be worried about it to be honest..

How on earth is it racist?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Stop feeding the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭jh79

Are these guys a militant anti fascist group?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement