Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa Galway?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Red_Wake wrote: »
    And do any of these groups engage in violent activities that necessitate the formation of a militant group to oppose them?

if some young (or old) lads want to orgainse anti-fascist groups thats there business, while the far right aren't much of a threat here we are the exception in europe. I rather see antifascist graffiti than fascist/Islamophobic whatever you call it graffiti

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just naming groups as antifascist or fascist doesn't make them so.
    The left have just a much hunger for violence and upheaval as the right.
    To me they are both as abhorrent as each other.

As long as the groups are not violent I don't mind either way. Politics is multifaceted and not all people will agree on everything.

Democracy means everyone gets to say something and it's fascist behaviour to try to take someone else's rights away - because whenever people want restrictions they always want restriction for others, never for themselves.

I feel the local angle is kinda coming to an end but as long discussion is civil I suppose we can keep this open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BraziltoGalway

Antifa are a feature of Irish politics (they are a fringe element like the far right) antifa anywhere in Europe don't pose a threat to anyone other than fascists (I've seen a few neo nazi stickers on wood quay) even then afa have to my knowledge have never seriously hurt anyone unlike the far right groups they oppose

Do you mean to say there is an ongoing conflict in galway between the two groups?

I don't know much about Ireland but I've never heard (or seen) anything from far right groups here (like same kind of graffiti etc)

More so when I went to Central Europe for a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Do you mean to say there is an ongoing conflict in galway between the two groups?

I don't know much about Ireland but I've never heard (or seen) anything from far right groups here (like same kind of graffiti etc)

More so when I went to Central Europe for a trip.

Are you taking the piss at this stage? It seems like you're wilfully ignoring everybody who actually lives in Galway giving you input on the likelihood of random violence in the street(very very slim to none) or the prevalence of this particular group(practically nobody had ever heard of them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

As I'm sure someone stated before, you are reading way too much into it. If you aren't happy that there is a facebook page for a group that 99% of people here didn't know about then think of somewhere else to live. I haven't read one post that should make you afraid of living in Galway. There is very little evidence of any violence involving any right or left wing groups in Ireland. Of course some will exist because part of being human is being different and everyone has different points of view.

The global peace index only have 11 countries safer to live in than Ireland: http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/safest-countries-in-the-world.html Maybe Iceland would suit you better unless they have some very obscure group of anti-facists there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Read the thread thru there lads this guy is 100% trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

jcd5971 wrote:
    Read the thread thru there lads this guy is 100% trolling.

I would not be at all surprised it this was a poor, but somewhat successful) attempt to get publicity for a very fringe group out to a much wider audience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I would not be at all surprised it this was a poor, but somewhat successful) attempt to get publicity for a very fringe group out to a much wider audience...

All this thread has made me aware of is that a very small group of teens in Galway like to graffiti and potentially have a flag. Nothing any different to going to a league of Ireland match then.

The thread actually reminds me of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

if some young (or old) lads want to orgainse anti-fascist groups thats there business, while the far right aren't much of a threat here we are the exception in europe. I rather see antifascist graffiti than fascist/Islamophobic whatever you call it graffiti

Personally I don't see the need for either, and seeing as only one is present in Galway, I hope the Gardai put a stop to their self rightteous vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BraziltoGalway

Bazzo wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss at this stage? It seems like you're wilfully ignoring everybody who actually lives in Galway giving you input on the likelihood of random violence in the street(very very slim to none) or the prevalence of this particular group(practically nobody had ever heard of them).

No I was just curious at this point.

I think the fact that everyone here hasn't heard of them means they don't do anything other than vandalism.

Thanks for all the answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I think the fact that everyone here hasn't heard of them means they don't do anything other than vandalism.

so what are you going to study and where are you planning on living?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd be pretty sure the reason for the balaclavas is so they can take a picture of the group without leaving them open to be identified later if they get caught grafitii-ing, nothing sinister. Plenty of Antifa in the city where I live, as far as I can see harmless except during marches and counter demos

I'd be pretty sure the reason for the balaclavas is so they can take a picture of the group without leaving them open to be identified later if they get caught grafitii-ing, nothing sinister. Plenty of Antifa in the city where I live, as far as I can see harmless except during marches and counter demos

All legitimate vandals engage in wearing balaclavas alright:pac:

And only being violent during certain events is also perfectly ok to some people :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

All legitimate vandals engage in wearing balaclavas alright:pac:

And only being violent during certain events is also perfectly ok to some people :pac:
    What's your problem? Big difference between a bunch of kids wearing masks in a photo for facebook and gangs of militants going around beating people up like the OP seems to think

And where did I say it was ok?

What's your problem? Big difference between a bunch of kids wearing masks in a photo for facebook and gangs of militants going around beating people up like the OP seems to think

And where did I say it was ok?

I'm not keen on militants of any stripe, left or right. And I don't think political leanings excuse petty vandalism.

You said there was nothing sinister about, ergo you must think it's ok. Have I misinterpreted you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Do they have days where you can practice graffiti and wearing a balaclava while battering people?

A lot of people, myself included, would have a built in hesitation to engage in this even if there is a growing opinion that it's not that bad really, so a try out day would probably be beneficial to recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Hi, I am moving to Galway to attend the university very soon but I had one thing that bothered/worried me

When I came to visit I saw a lot of graffiti/stickers/vandalism with antifa flags etc...

In Brazil the antifa act like a criminal organization and often attack innocent people for the colour of their skin...

So police and civilians often take down their work in Brazil so they don't keep fostering fear but here it seems that no one cares

Who are these people?

Are there a lot of them?

Are they dangerous?

I was attacked a year ago in Brazil because I was wearing a German football jersey - can I expect the same here?

Thanks in advance,

G

I had a good look at their facebook page, a photo of one of them spray painting a wall appears to be the same guy who is a well known loudmouth in Galway in reference to the guy who shouted down a lecturer at a Galway college over the Israel/ Palestine issue .

I had a good look at their facebook page, a photo of one of them spray painting a wall appears to be the same guy who is a well known loudmouth in Galway in reference to the guy who shouted down a lecturer at a Galway college over the Israel/ Palestine issue .

Ah, proof, if any was needed of this group being run by self righteous lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, proof, if any was needed of this group being run by self righteous lunatics.

I particularly liked their graphic on their facebook page: "Fascism isn't to be debated, it's to be SMASHED".

Sure why would ya bother to defeat it with logic and sound arguments, when you can just beat it's practitioners around the head.Well, you could, if you could find somebody in Galway who actually is a fascist.

This thread is a load of nonsense to create publicity for the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Is that you Joe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I hope the OP doesnt watch Jack Taylor or the poor lad will never venture out

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Sigmund Fraud

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Is that you Joe?

Get the **** of my Boards you ****in Zionist prick!

*bangs table like an angry retard

Mod note: banned

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

All those stars Sig, must be a pagan festival of some sort?.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm gonna go full lefty/righty fascist and close this thus blocking everyone's rights of expression/free speech

Enjoy your stay in Galway and don't worry about hooded hooligans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement