Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Motorcycles

• 14-08-2016 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I thought you knowledgeable folks in here might be able to answer something for me.

I'm interested in getting myself an Indian Scout 60.
    Is there anywhere in Ireland that sells Indians?

After a bit of a trawl through Google I've only found a place up north that sells them. I'd rather buy from a dealer in the Republic if possible.
    I'd rather not go through the the hassle of VRT etc.
    The only options I can see is buying from the UK.
    Or importing from USA where they go for around $8k new. But when you factor in shipping, import taxes and vrt, the cost and hassle doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I thought you knowledgeable folks in here might be able to answer something for me.

I'm interested in getting myself an Indian Scout 60.
    Is there anywhere in Ireland that sells Indians?

After a bit of a trawl through Google I've only found a place up north that sells them. I'd rather buy from a dealer in the Republic if possible.
    I'd rather not go through the the hassle of VRT etc.
    The only options I can see is buying from the UK.
    Or importing from USA where they go for around $8k new. But when you factor in shipping, import taxes and vrt, the cost and hassle doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks in advance

No. Met a guy on a 161 Indian Chief lately, bought it in N.I.

Not worth the hassle from US new, and sterling is in your favour atmo.

Would love to try one myself

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Or importing from USA where they go for around $8k new. But when you factor in shipping, import taxes and vrt, the cost and hassle doesn't seem worth it...

No matter who imports them into the ROI the shipping, import taxes and VRT will have to be paid :mad: and so will end up as part of your purchase price... If someone else pays then you'll end up paying a premium for their taking the hassle too. Maybe look for an older model with less VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

There's a new Indian and victory dealership opening in swords area shortly I have heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    No matter who imports them into the ROI the shipping, import taxes and VRT will have to be paid :mad: and so will end up as part of your purchase price... If someone else pays then you'll end up paying a premium for their taking the hassle too. Maybe look for an older model with less VRT?

Yeah we get stung pretty badly on taxes alright. I had a quick look at figures and if I was to import one it works out at almost €15k.
    I looked online but couldn't find a second hand one in Ireland. I'd rather buy new anyway but even still.... I couldn't buy used even if I wanted to.
    fatbast wrote: »
    There's a new Indian and victory dealership opening in swords area shortly I have heard

Hmm, that's very interesting. Any idea when?
    I was also looking at the Victory Octane too.
    It'll be interesting to see how they're priced if a dealership does open up.
    They'll probably be over priced. If you consider a Harley Iron 883 costs less than $9k in the US and costs around €14k here.

If you buy one new its coming into the country regardless, I doubt the dealership will make you get a UK reg bike and have to re reg it. They should be able to import it straight into the south for you on Irish plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

AKB Distribution recently became the agent for Victory and Indian motorcycles in Southern Ireland, they're based in Swords and a good bunch of lads, was chatting to them recently at the Bikefest in Killarney, give them a ring on 01 8971167.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yeah we get stung pretty badly on taxes alright. I had a quick look at figures and if I was to import one it works out at almost €15k.
    I looked online but couldn't find a second hand one in Ireland. I'd rather buy new anyway but even still.... I couldn't buy used even if I wanted to.

Hmm, that's very interesting. Any idea when?
    I was also looking at the Victory Octane too.
    It'll be interesting to see how they're priced if a dealership does open up.
    They'll probably be over priced. If you consider a Harley Iron 883 costs less than $9k in the US and costs around €14k here.

As an aside, the the 883 Iron is €12k here, list. Probably haggleable, a bit at any rate. Still OTT, I agree, but VRT is 'only' €1233 of that, and the VAT is the same rate as on anything else, at 23%. Not sure where the big difference comes from tbh. Some of their spare parts are similar (e.g. batteries) - $171 for a RK battery in US, and €300 here.........got a Yuasa (which is who makes H-D ones anyway), for €170 in a factors locally............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

KT10 wrote: »
    AKB Distribution recently became the agent for Victory and Indian motorcycles in Southern Ireland, they're based in Swords and a good bunch of lads, was chatting to them recently at the Bikefest in Killarney, give them a ring on 01 8971167.

Thanks for the info. I just gave them a call and spoke to a nice guy called Keith who's sending me out some info now.
    Cheers for the help!

Advertisement