Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    cletus wrote: »
    McGregor's movement to reset in the centre was hardly Kaleb Starnes level. Both Diaz brothers have been known to complain that fighters are "running away" if they do anything other than stand toe to toe and swing until somebody falls down (Condit vs. Diaz). I also have never seen either brother acknowledge a loss.

I am surprised by some suggestions on here that a knockdown does not count for anything unless the fighter follows down to the ground. A knockdown surely falls under effective striking.

Lastly, commenting on who won the fight, without actually watching the fight, is possibly the highlight of this thread for me.
    I can't thank this post enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Sitting at my kitchen table hungover and 'jetlagged'.

The whole card turned out better than I expected.

Rumble is a gent, cowboys finishing combo was super.

5 rounds of edge of my seat stuff and the result I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not going to wade through the raft of posts on here, just to say two things

Fair play to Conor, hung on there for a long time, he has plenty of heart and two, he lost that fight.

Poor decision but not exactly a shocker ( I am not saying it was a screw job in any way, I can understand how the judges saw it the way they did I just saw it slightly different, I had it 3/2 to Diaz)

Great performance from both men.
    You probably need to watch it again. The fact you think Nate won is probably your pocket talking more than anything. I often find a lot of these fights difficult to score but I thought this one was relatively simple. Rounds 1, 2 and 4 clearly Conor's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You shouldnt use stats to decide your opinion, you should use your eyes. But they can be useful.

Conor landed more significant strikes than Nate in rounds 1,2, and 4. The rounds he won by the judges, and most of the publics estimation.
    Nate landed more significant strikes in rounds 3 and 5. The rounds he won in most peoples esitmation.

The stats line up with what happened in this fight pretty well to be honest. I found this fight really easy to score. The only debates were to give 10-8 rounds to conor in round 1 and 10-8 to nate in round 3.

Frankly, people who give rounds 2 or 4 to nate werent paying attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I know that there's obviosuly going to be a bias towards Conor here but i thought the fight was a lot more even than is being let on.

Conor definitely had the first two rounds, Nate had the third but the fourth and fifth could have gone either way considering how odd MMA judging is.

Far from a dominant win for Conor and i think it may have hurt his mystique a bit. Diaz was 20W-10L going into the fight remember.

E: I still had Conor winning but only barely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

When I saw infamous 'gas' face come along I feared the worst. I remember, I think it was some boxer, or maybe Alvarez who said you just can't up cardio that much in 6months, said if he lasted 7 mins in the last one he'd maybe last 9 minutes in the rematch. Which was pretty much bang on. By last I mean obviously that he was showing serious signs of fatigue.

How he navigated the last three rounds was nothing short of incredible. I think conor proved he has the better stand up.

The way I see it, it lines up Aldo -> Diaz -> LW title shot. I think Dana will stick to his guns on stripping the belt if he refuses to fight aldo. Conor wants that two weight thing more than anything imo.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I know that there's obviosuly going to be a bias towards Conor here but i thought the fight was a lot more even than is being let on.

Conor definitely had the first two rounds, Nate had the third but the fourth and fifth could have gone either way considering how odd MMA judging is.

Far from a dominant win for Conor and i think it may have hurt his mystique a bit. Diaz was 20W-10L going into the fight remember.

E: I still had Conor winning but only barely.

He won against a taller, bigger opponent with a longer reach that beat him last time out. How is that anyway damaging to him? If anything, it enhances his reputation. "Look how he avenged his loss!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

lawlolawl wrote: »

Dias is the bigger dude. Conor handled his bigger power well and won. When Conor goes back down to 145/55 he'll be going down as a guy who can roll with punches from a guy who's weighing in at 180/185 and win fights against much bigger men. I don't think it's hurt his mystique at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    I was surprised none of the reporters asked Nate about his comments after the last fight when he said that he felt if he had had a full camp, Conor wouldn't have been able to touch him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Dias is the bigger dude. Conor handled his bigger power well and won. When Conor goes back down to 145/55 he'll be going down as a guy who can roll with punches from a guy who's weighing in at 180/185 and win fights against much bigger men. I don't think it's hurt his mystique at all.

Diaz doesn't really have that much power :confused:

Conor will undoubtedly smoke the guys back at his own weight class(es). The choice to go up in weight was his and it only half worked out (1W-1L) so let's not get too excited about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Contrary to some people talking about how 145 fighters will be looking at Conor's cardio and seeing an opportunity, for me I looked at that fight and thought Aldo would have very little chance.

Diaz absorbed more than many fighters could hope to absorb, the man is an absolute tough as f*ck warrior.

Aldo doesn't take 7 minutes of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

McGregor via Submission
    well its easy judge who landed more significant strikes judging from the post fight intervews

McGregor-Diaz-face.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Conor doesn't sound too pushed about fighting Aldo again which he'll have to do if he plans on defending his title. Can see him vacating and going for Alvarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Great fight

I think nobody at 145 will get out of the 2nd against conor after watching that . And I think he will win the 155 belt if he fights Eddie next

However on last night

I think it was a clear draw in my opinion .

The 3rd round was a clear 10-8 for nate . It even might have been stopped at one stage . Big John even asked Conor if he was ok to continue

Anyway the result wasn't really that important in a fight like that

Roll on the 3rd one

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Conor doesn't sound too pushed about fighting Aldo again which he'll have to do if he plans on defending his title. Can see him vacating and going for Alvarez.

Based on the last 6 months I don't see them giving it to him straight up like they were doing with Dos Anjos. Khabib has legitimate claims to it.

Dream scenario is Diaz getting a shot while McGregor finishes off Aldo, leading to Diaz v McGregor part 3 for the 155 title. Unfortunately that would be completely unfair on the top contenders that are already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What a fight, it will be remembered forever. Hopefully now conor will get the respect he deserves in his home country. I watched the rte news at 6 yesterday and there wasnt even a mention of this upcoming event in the sports coverage where they spent about 5 mins doing a story on some irish trialathon guy in the olympics who finished nowehere. Lets see how much coverage the result gets in todays 6 news, probably none. And last year, even though he had just knocked out aldo in 13 secs and become the 1st irish or even british guy to become a ufc champ, conor lost out on 'rte sports personality of the year' award to michael conlon. Wtf?? The way i see it conor will fight aldo next and win, then reckon he will get a straight shot at the 155 title and if he wins that the next fight with be Diaz 3, the final part of the trilogy and a title at stake with it.

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    [QUOTE=Call Me Jimmy;100752784]When I saw infamous 'gas' face come along I feared the worst. I remember, I think it was some boxer, or maybe Alvarez who said you just can't up cardio that much in 6months, said if he lasted 7 mins in the last one he'd maybe last 9 minutes in the rematch. Which was pretty much bang on. By last I mean obviously that he was showing serious signs of fatigue.

How he navigated the last three rounds was nothing short of incredible. I think conor proved he has the better stand up.

The way I see it, it lines up Aldo -> Diaz -> LW title shot. I think Dana will stick to his guns on stripping the belt if he refuses to fight aldo. Conor wants that two weight thing more than anything imo.[/QUOTE]

Ha I thought the same ....ah fuk here we go again, couldn't believe it came so soon......luckily Diaz himself was in worse shape by the middle/end 2nd round than he was in the first fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Just watched the fight back, really don't think round 3 was a 10-8. McGregor engaged and worked and even caught Diaz with a few big shots. He looked in trouble towards the end but I still don't think that was enough to warrant a 10-8. Similarly I don't think round 1 was a 10-8 McGregor. The last round was fairly even and I suppose only the takedown really separated them.

It was a close thing for McGregor, when he went back to his corner at the end of the third and sat with his head down it seemed to me that he was digging deep and fighting against negative thoughts that must have been flooding his mind. To go out and put in a professional disciplined 4th round was the sign of a true champion.

I would like to see Aldo v McGregor 2 next, give Diaz a shot at the Lightweight title and then if they both win ideally you have a lightweight title fight between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Job Done by McGregor!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Having rewatched it

Round 1. Clear 10-9 for Conor
    Round 2. Not as clean cut as some make out but again 10-9 Conor
    Round 3. 10-8 Nate, I can see the arguments for and against a 10-8 but that is how I have scored it twice now.
    Round 4. Again quite close 10-9 Conor but I could give this round a draw
    Round 5. Takedown ensures a 10-9 for Nate

All in all

Conor 47
    Nate 47

As I said previously, I can still totally understand how Conor got the decision, I think on reflection a draw would have been the fairest outcome, initial watching swayed me to Diaz as Nate was always moving forward, coming on strong and McGregor was fighting off the back foot so was giving Nate points for aggression, on reflection he was not doing enough to ensure he won the rounds and was getting tagged too often. McGregor was hanging on plenty of times but he was allowed to, and crucially had the heart to.

If Nate had done a little less taunting (which was fun admittedly) and gone after McGregor properly when he was trying to move away and regain his breath it might have been different for him, if he had managed to get him down earlier in the fight I am sure it would have been different but McGregor's TD defence was solid.

McGregor showed also that despite being incredibly riled in the pre fight, he was stone cold in the fight itself, a credit to him. Game plan was perfect in round 1, he needs to do work on his gas tank though, then again if he can blow most opponents away early in a fight he won't need to. Diaz is durable as **** and not everybody would be able to take what was thrown at him in round 1.

Again I would say, great performance from both men and I cannot wait for part 3 of this one.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Here's the official score cards.

ufc-202-conor-mcgregor-nate-diaz-scorecard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

pudzey101 wrote: »
    well its easy judge who landed more significant strikes judging from the post fight intervews

McGregor-Diaz-face.jpg

Those glasses are fockin dreadful.

he needs to do work on his gas tank though, then again if he can blow most opponents away early in a fight he won't need to.

Does he though? He just went 5 rounds 25 minutes with a bigger man.....at 170. As the weight drops off him in the 145 and 155 division, his cardio will get better, not worse......and he just proved he can go the 5 rounds. Those bike rides and marathon rowing sessions appeared to have paid dividends. He looked gassed and in trouble in the 3rd.....but came out in the 4th looking fresher and almost like he had a second wind.

Some smart people like Firas and Cruz have theorized that he actually took the 3rd round off, knowing that winning the 4th would win him the fight. I'm not sure I subscribe to that thinking....but it does make send as to why he looked better in round 4 than in 3.

darced wrote: »
    Nothing is surprising in MMA, no one can predict this sport. I went for Diaz by TKO and as you say in the 3rd it looked very likely. I'm much happier with my prediction than anyone who thought Conor would dance to a points victory should.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Diaz via Decision
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Those glasses are fockin dreadful.

hqdefault.jpg

Just watched the fight back, really don't think round 3 was a 10-8. McGregor engaged and worked and even caught Diaz with a few big shots. He looked in trouble towards the end but I still don't think that was enough to warrant a 10-8. Similarly I don't think round 1 was a 10-8 McGregor. The last round was fairly even and I suppose only the takedown really separated them.

First round was definitely a 10-8 McGregor. It was incredible, he totally picked him a part. Disected him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Was a good fight. I'm quite happy for the winner.

In my eyes Diaz won. Simply put. Without that octagon and a time limit Conor was done for. fact.

Conor bust nates face up and kocked him down. But he was right to be reluctant going near Diaz while he was down.

Diaz was relentless. Taking hits and pointing at Conor making him rattle. Conor was the only one during the fight I could sense being knocked clean out had a round not ended.

In the end Conor was giving his best but nate had him on the run, outta steam, and on the ground when that final bell tolled.

Advertisement