Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Just watching the post fight presser, he has zero interest in Aldo.

Interesting times ahead, will they have the bollix to follow through and strip him? My guess is yes, but you never know :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Was a good fight. I'm quite happy for the winner.

In my eyes Diaz won. Simply put. Without that octagon and a time limit Conor was done for. fact.

So if they were just brawling on the street?.....

Thankfully this isn't how structured combat sports work!!

Without the octagon and time.. Sure we'll just eliminate a ref and judges aswell.. Bare knuckle it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Those glasses are fockin dreadful.

He looks like an 80's serial killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission

In my eyes Diaz won. Simply put. Without that octagon and a time limit Conor was done for. fact.

Diaz was relentless. Taking hits and pointing at Conor making him rattle. Conor was the only one during the fight I could sense being knocked clean out had a round not ended.

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read on the topic, congratulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Kirby wrote: »
    Does he though? He just went 5 rounds 25 minutes with a bigger man.....at 170. As the weight drops off him in the 145 and 155 division, his cardio will get better, not worse......and he just proved he can go the 5 rounds. Those bike rides and marathon rowing sessions appeared to have paid dividends. He looked gassed and in trouble in the 3rd.....but came out in the 4th looking fresher and almost like he had a second wind.

Some smart people like Firas and Cruz have theorized that he actually took the 3rd round off, knowing that winning the 4th would win him the fight. I'm not sure I subscribe to that thinking....but it does make send as to why he looked better in round 4 than in 3.

For 45 no I think he is fine, blows everybody away.

55, who knows? He got a great second wind in the 4th and showed incredible heart, I think if he is up against someone who can take him beyond 2 rounds at 55 he will need to work on his cardio.

If he has a couple of fights at 55 and continues to blow them out of the water then obviously he won't worry about it as much.

I don't think he took round 3 off, but I do think he put in a superb effort in round 4 which pretty much emptied all he had left and he did well hanging on in round 5.

Not many guys are as durable as Nate so in reality his cardio where it is currently may be perfectly fine for 55.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

darced wrote: »

His cardio suffered because of the weight class. Alot more muscle to fuel and he's not used to it He wont fight at welterweight again i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

bennyl10 wrote: »

Without the octagon and time.. Sure we'll just eliminate a ref and judges aswell.. Bare knuckle it!

A longer round more rounds. My point is. Conor survived the fight. He knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Without that octagon and a time limit Conor was done for. fact.

Possibly the most bizarre synopsis I've read.

That's like saying without the ball, Man Utd wouldn't have won in Friday.

Fighters and athletes of other sports operate within a certain set of agreed rules and parameters. Suggesting the winner wouldn't have won without these parameters is disrespectful to all participants and simply reads as sour grapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor via Submission
    Was a good fight. I'm quite happy for the winner.

Conor bust nates face up and kocked him down. But he was right to be reluctant going near Diaz while he was down.

Diaz was relentless. Taking hits and pointing at Conor making him rattle. Conor was the only one during the fight I could sense being knocked clean out had a round not ended.

In the end Conor was giving his best but nate had him on the run, outta steam, and on the ground when that final bell tolled.
    If it was a street fight Conor would have had a bit of pipe and hit him with it, as has been pointed out all rounds count equal you can win 4 and be hammered for the last 5 minutes and you still win 48-46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

McGregor via Submission
    A longer round more rounds. My point is. Conor survived the fight. He knows it.

Your point is moot though...ifs and buts. There are 5 no. 5 min rounds. It's just a strawman argument

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Props for fighting at 170. Its not his weight and I don't think we'll be seeing him fight at 170 again.
    To beat a guy who needs to cut to 170, is an amazing achievement and should not be scoffed at.

Diaz is a terrible opponent for Connor to fight, at any weight, he's just too durable and has the size advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

darced wrote: »

Would you agree that it was pretty much impossible to up cardio significantly in that time? If the lesson he takes away from his bouts with nate is that he needs to commit long term to improving it, it will make him so much tougher for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    "If Diaz had a gun and McGregor a knife he'd have won easily".....SterlingArcher

couldn't resist....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

sonofenoch wrote: »
    "If Diaz had a gun and McGregor a knife he'd have won easily".....SterlingArcher

couldn't resist....

Haha don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

More Conor mistakes ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great fight. I watched it in a bar in Milwauke. Vast majority American crowd and majority going for McGregor.

I must say, it's the greatest sports-bar sport in the world. It's a pity we miss out at home due to the time difference. Fantastic atmosphere, and the ads and breaks and build up are nowhere near as annoying live in a bar, as they are at 4am on your quiet couch at home when sleep has you in a rear naked choke :)

One question I'd have for you long time mma fans: I've heard Kavanagh say very early on that his plan for Conor and others had always been - get in, make your money and get out before you get hurt. At what point does or should part three of that plan kick in? I know he's only young yet but you'd hate to see Conor outstay his welcome. Would much rather be bow out at the top, money in the bank. He's a smart man and there are plenty of time he could turn his hand to.

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Dempsey wrote: »

His cardio suffered because of the weight class. Alot more muscle to fuel and he's not used to it He wont fight at welterweight again i think
    that fight wasn't really welter weight, he wasn't carrying WW muscle,
    He won't be any smaller at LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mellor wrote: »
    that fight wasn't really welter weight, he wasn't carrying WW muscle,
    He won't be any smaller at LW.

:confused: There is a 15 pound difference in the weight classes. Of course he'll be smaller. He said it himself, he has no abs at 170 and notices a bit of a belly. (for him).

At 155 he has definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

McGregor via Submission
    How long realistically will he need to cut to 45 healthy? 5/6 months?

Diaz via Submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

McGregor via Submission
    Here's a thought, possibly a daft one. Conor said at the end of the fight that the next rematch will be at 155. So obviously he feels more comfortable at that weight.

Would he not have been better cardio wise if he cut down on weight for last nights fight???

Which is the lesser of the two evils: poor cardio at 170 or less weight at 155. Both against a 170 Diaz.

McGregor via Submission
    Diaz was well over 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Kirby wrote: »
    :confused: There is a 15 pound difference in the weight classes. Of course he'll be smaller. He said it himself, he has no abs at 170 and notices a bit of a belly. (for him).

At 155 he has definition.

Don't think he'll be any leaner at 155. He was 168 in the cage, that's still a relatively small cut for a LW.

He hasn't fought at 155 in the UFC. He had more definition at 145 because if he has any excess body fat he won't make the weight.

As it stands now he could probably make 155 comfortably in a week just by manipulating water levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

McGregor via Submission
    bennyl10 wrote: »

If there wasn't a cage, or a ref or any rules and Nate had a large sword and was mounted on a horse I think Conor loses 9 times out of ten.

Diaz via Submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor via Submission
    Easy Rod wrote: »
    If there wasn't a cage, or a ref or any rules and Nate had a large sword and was mounted on a horse I think Conor loses 9 times out of ten.
    shows how tough he i that after being skewered by a horsemans sword he can still fight 9 more times

• Registered Users Posts: 19,771 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

at first when I heard all the nonsense from the begrudgers about the fight, I kind of got a little p*ssed off.. I mean McGregor was beaten comprehensively the last time. this time Nate had a full camp, they fought at Nate's weight, in his Country and this time gave an amazing performance and beat Nate when very few gave him a chance. Still - not good enough for them.

however it's clear after this fight that these people are not for turning and when ya accept that, the bullsh*t and grasping at straws becomes kind of funny.

so have at it... he ran away, Nate won more rounds, if it wasn't for the octagon etc etc etc. it makes the victory even more sweet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think McG will vacate the 145 belt. The thought of training for a 145 fight while trying to lose muscle mass is a horrid thought.

I think a fight with Cowboy at 155 would be a big money fight and also very attractive for mma fans.

I cant see him coming close to Alverze, he would be taken down and smoothered.

A fight against RDA at 155 would also be an option but again I just can't see him winning that, I feel he would be on the wrong side of a leg kicking fest in that match up.

Diaz does infuriate me with this I'm tough I don't check leg kick bullsh1t.

In general I think both fighters came away with a win from that fight, huge payday, a 5round war, Both guys dominant at times.

Advertisement