Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭CSF

darced wrote: »
    Jose Aldo what a joker, spoofer Bill.

I think he's come across terribly since the KO that night. The minute he declined the opportunity to take the place for Dos Anjos, he loses any legitimate right to do all the smacktalk he's been doing.

You've fought a guy once and been KOed by him in 13 seconds and then declined an opportunity to fight him a 2nd time. I get that the 2nd one was on short notice and all but eh clearly this guy isn't ducking you.

Compare that to now Conor approached getting his retribution against Diaz, and the class of the 2 men becomes quickly apparent. Blatantly obvious that Conor has a lot more respect for Diaz than he does Aldo and it's not hard to see why, in spite of the fact that Aldo's career is a lot more decorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    This is class!

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/767426580046049280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

cletus wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Aldo looked to challenge at 155 on at least one occasion, but was shot down by Dana
    CSF wrote: »
    Yeah he did.

Wasn't aware of that :) Still, the bang of sour grapes off of him...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think he's come across terribly since the KO that night. The minute he declined the opportunity to take the place for Dos Anjos, he loses any legitimate right to do all the smacktalk he's been doing.

You've fought a guy once and been KOed by him in 13 seconds and then declined an opportunity to fight him a 2nd time. I get that the 2nd one was on short notice and all but eh clearly this guy isn't ducking you.

Compare that to now Conor approached getting his retribution against Diaz, and the class of the 2 men becomes quickly apparent. Blatantly obvious that Conor has a lot more respect for Diaz than he does Aldo and it's not hard to see why, in spite of the fact that Aldo's career is a lot more decorated.

I think thats the reason mcgregor should continue to ignore aldo

Anywhere anytime talk ment nothing in the end from him. Full of **** since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Honestly surprised Conor won, delighted like but still shocked. Thought it was close but thought Nate had snuck it. Then again I know very little about MMA :D

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think thats the reason mcgregor should continue to ignore aldo

Anywhere anytime talk ment nothing in the end from him. Full of **** since

Unfortunately him beating Edgar means he can't because otherwise he's gotta drop the belt.

Otherwise I'd agree. It's a sh*t state of affairs when being a mouth on social media is what gets you a fight rather than going out there and doing your thing, and more importantly selling PPVs and filling seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Unfortunately him beating Edgar means he can't because otherwise he's gotta drop the belt.

Otherwise I'd agree. It's a sh*t state of affairs when being a mouth on social media is what gets you a fight rather than going out there and doing your thing, and more importantly selling PPVs and filling seats.

Are you talking about Aldo being a mouth on social media? Do you really think thats why he gets a rematch with McGregor? Not the fact that he was one of the most dominant champions in the UFC, holds the interim belt, and is looking for a rematch to avenge his only loss in the UFC (something granted immediatly to McGregor, mind)

I think that fans have bought into the spiel that Conor laid on in the lead up to his fight with Aldo as if it was fact

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Such a pity Frankie blew it in his fight with Aldo. Would have setup an epic title fight headlining NY card, no question about it. I'm just a bit worried Conor's '**** about to hit the fan' is the mayweather fight. Zero interest in that limited combat fight.

Also Amir Khan gas man congratulating Conor, telling him to "rest up, we need to talk, call me" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Diaz via Submission

So connors whole persona?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think McGregor will fight at lightweight first. UFC promised him a lightweight title shot

Probably drop the featherweight soon after but i cant see him going from welter to feather then back to light tbh.

Ufc will twist in the wind if the money is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Diaz via Decision
    That_Guy wrote: »
    To be honest, I only listen to two MMA related podcasts.

The MMA Hour (usually lasts near 4 hours :pac:) with Ariel Helwani. Interviews a lot of fighters and recaps the weekend's action across the UFC/WSOF/Bellator mostly. Solid interviewer and has a lot of really good guests on his show and has often had fighters break news before it reaches official channels as such.

The MMA Beat: Weekly hourly show that recaps the big stories of the week. Also with Ariel Helwani, Chuck Mindenhall, Luke Thomas and Jeff Waggenheim.

Both can be watched live on YouTube too.

I used to be a regular listener to MMA Junkie Radio but wasn't too pushed on the hosts so stopped listening.

I think the Anik and Florian podcast is good. Anik is a biy of a goon but Florian's analysis is really good. I find the MMA hour way too long. Don't have the time to listen to helwani for 4 hours. Joe Rogans podcasts with Brendan Scuab are good, pretty much talk MMA for the hole thing

cletus wrote: »
    Are you talking about Aldo being a mouth on social media? Do you really think thats why he gets a rematch with McGregor? Not the fact that he was one of the most dominant champions in the UFC, holds the interim belt, and is looking for a rematch to avenge his only loss in the UFC (something granted immediatly to McGregor, mind)

I think that fans have bought into the spiel that Conor laid on in the lead up to his fight with Aldo as if it was fact

I'm speaking in general terms. It's become a thing in both MMA and boxing where if you're mouthy enough and start calling people out you're more likely to get a fight. Shouldn't be that way.

I think it applies to Aldo to an extent. Any Aldo discussion needs to be discussed in the context of him being a hugely decorated fighter who had a seriously long reign as champion. But I still think his behaviour has been really sh*tty and small time.

When Aldo got KOed so quickly by McGregor people were generally pretty split in whether he should get an immediate rematch. Some people thought he should get one, the arguments in favour of that were obvious. Others thought Edgar should get it, after his comprehensive win over Mendes and Aldo not even lasting a round. Others thought McGregor should be going to win the 155 belt next, as he'd talked about, and that's the route that ended up being the one.

In the meantime Aldo is talking about how he'd take the fight anywhere and anytime. Then the situation changes and Dos Anjos can't fight. All of a sudden it's not anywhere and anytime anymore. I think anyone can see the logic in not wanting to take a fight on short notice. But it was good enough for Mendes and Diaz, and if it's not good enough for you, fine, but don't go on like it is until it's time to put up or shut up. So yeah Aldo absolutely came across like a mouth here.

And really Aldo hasn't shut up since. You've been KOed by a guy and then declined an opportunity for a rematch. It's bizarre to act like that same guy is ducking you.

So yes I think Aldo has become a bit of a social media warrior and a mouth, but not in the good way. McGregor and Diaz are mouths too but they back it up by being warriors who'll pretty much fight anyone, anywhere.

So connors whole persona?

Nope, Conor backs it up. Always willing to fight, didn't flinch at the short notice jump to 170, made sure he ended up getting the job done at 170.

Aldo has just been talking hot air. You didn't hear Conor calling Nate a pussy after Nate beat him, because that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

just rewatched it there, much easier to see mcgregor as the winner when you're not screaming KICK HIS LEEEEEEGSSSSSS at the tv! what a fight, it was so hard to watch, genuinely thought nate had won last night but i think that was because it was so close at times.
    its so impressive to see conor go 5 rounds and stick to his gameplan. his defense is mind blowing, i thought nate was just gonna feck him down so many times but conor just calmly defended everytime bar one.
    nate can take some feckin abuse, the fcuker just keeps getting back up! loved seeing him help conor to his feet and them both showing respect to eachother, warms me little stone of a heart :)
    great fight, can't say it was enjoyable at the time as i was sick with the stress of it :P looking forward to watching them fight again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    I might have asked this question before not sure if I remembered the answer......but who are all the red coats who stand around in the octagon? and why so many are they security of some sort, alot of them seem quite a bit on the side of old and most stand around throwing more shapes than the fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I might have asked this question before not sure if I remembered the answer......but who are all the red coats who stand around in the octagon? and why so many are they security of some sort, alot of them seem quite a bit on the side of old and most stand around throwing more shapes than the fighters

Athletic commision i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

meepins wrote: »
    Yeah, if there was a high damage strike that wobbled or knocked down Conor at the end there I think all of them would have given it a 10-8 to Nate.

But that's not what happened so who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diaz via Decision
    Awesome combo from Cerrone... (though if he had turned his left knee inward on the left hook I think they would *still* be waiting for Story's head to come down to earth :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor via Submission

cowboy irks me but that was pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Diaz via Decision
    Not sure if already posted but has there been some sort of fall out with Mcgregor and Rogan and if so over what exactly ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Not sure if already posted but has there been some sort of fall out with Mcgregor and Rogan and if so over what exactly ?

Apparently Rogan is really good friends with Diaz so no fallout as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    just rewatched it there, much easier to see mcgregor as the winner when you're not screaming KICK HIS LEEEEEEGSSSSSS at the tv! what a fight, it was so hard to watch, genuinely thought nate had won last night but i think that was because it was so close at times.

Haha! All I said for 5 rounds was KICK HIS LEGGGGGGSSSSSS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Aldo has just been comedy gold since he got KOd. My favourite thing Aldo has said since McGregor beat him is that's he's going to get him... "even if it's in the streets" :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

McGregor via Submission

Up Down Up Left Left A A B. That's how Cowboy did it. Class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Diaz via Decision
    Just re watching you could say Diaz took round 4 off, didn't push pace after having Conor blowing and in trouble. He was pissing blood most in that round.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Just re watching you could say Diaz took round 4 off, didn't push pace after having Conor blowing and in trouble. He was pissing blood most in that round.

I think people (mostly Joe Rogan) just got caught up in the whole issue of Conor's cardio that it was kind of ignored that the rigour of the fight was going to take a toll on Nate too. He took a fair amount of damage in the first 2 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

i thought rogan didn't pay much attention to the knockdowns or the bombs mcg hit diaz with commentary wise,at least expected a "oohhh he has rocked him" but nothing,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

excuse the ignorance but why didnt mcgregor ground and pound diaz any of the times he put him down?

Advertisement