Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Nah too busy with his tongue up Nates hole. He retweeted a pic of Aldo vs Holloway for FW belt in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    excuse the ignorance but why didnt mcgregor ground and pound diaz any of the times he put him down?

was smart to be fair, diaz is very good off his back mcgregor was better off not messing around in his guard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    excuse the ignorance but why didnt mcgregor ground and pound diaz any of the times he put him down?

Nate is super dangerous off his back and that early in the fight, nate would have been fresh enough to pull off a submission.

tumblr_n901agOR791ry1rm7o3_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just re-watched it there and really noticed how Rogan squealed in delight every time that Diaz was in the ascendancy. He certainly has his favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Submission
    Just rewatched too. No way was the 3rd a 10-8 to Diaz. McGregor landed alot of nice shots in that round. Very clear 48-47.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Just re-watched it there and really noticed how Rogan squealed in delight every time that Diaz was in the ascendancy. He certainly has his favourites.

Rogan basically fell silent until the end of round 2 barely mentioned how Conor was lighting him up and putting on a clinic,yeah he mentioned the leg kicks a bit but that was it.

Whenever Nate came to life so did the commmentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Diaz is more dangerous to him on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    The Diaz-brothers love-in within the media is amusing. Their combined record is 45-20 and if you take Conor out of the equation they've had very few exciting fights between them in the last 5 years. And every loss either suffers is a "robbery".

Nick has an excuse for every loss. Nate likewise. I was taking it personally a tiny bit last night until i remembered this fact.

In terms of the media - Joe Rogan is the biggest culprit, and whilst that's not surprising given he's a good friend of Nate, a stoner and a jiujitsu guy, it is very irritating.

As the PPV main card opened, Rogan said "Conor lost terribly to a guy who took the fight on 10 days notice."

No, Joe. Losing terribly is Chris Avila style. Offering nothing in offense, nothing in defence, and just cluelessly strolling around.

He lost a close exciting fight in the 2nd round after panicking. And he lost to a guy he equally had 10 days to prepare for. And i fully 100% BELIEVE Conor now when he said he "ate up to the weight" the first time. He was a bloated 168lbs on that scale the first time. He gained those 8 lbs by eating. This time around he was lean.

The during fight commentary was so biased it's not even funny. This leads to a lot of neutrals, and newbies, believing Nate either Drew or Won the fight. And i fully expect Rogan to double down on his Podcast and say he thinks Nate won.

It's not just Joe. The main culprits are TMZ, and certain mainstream journos - Brett Okamoto of ESPN being one. It seems to be the more access they get to Nate, the more biased their version of events is. For example, multiple sites including TMZ reported BottleGate as Conor randomly picking up bottles and launching them at Nate. They completely omitted Nate throwing the first bottle and Nates team throwing coffee and duct tape etc.

Ariel Helwani had Conors back, which i'm thankful for, because he has a big influence on the casual MMA fan. He's a fair minded guy as well.

The media basically continued the love-in with Nate post-fight. Here's a bunch of questions they could have asked:

1. Nate you dismissed Conors training partners and SBG saying "who do you train with?", yet tonight your team went 0-2 to SBG, any thoughts on that?

2. Nate you said with a full training camp he wouldn't even touch you, yet he dropped you 3 times during that fight?

3. Nate you said Conor was just making excuses saying he ate up to the weight, yet now you're telling us you had sore ribs and a sore leg in the build up to this fight?

4. You made $2 million disclosed pay for this fight. The Nevada State Athletic Commission issued a statement saying Nick Diaz would be permitted to corner you if he paid $25,000 out of the $75,000 he owes them. Would you not just have paid the 25 grand for Nick to corner you?

Instead, they just gave him a free ride. No hard, meaningful questions, just a bunch of suck-ups.

Damien Duff

I'm not going to deny for one second that Conor had peaks and troughs with his cardio towards the ends of certain rounds. I'll completely agree with that and completely agree with anybody saying he's carrying too much muscle for his cardiovascular system to function at its best.

However, i believe Conor suffers from Damien Duff syndrome.

Which, to non football fans, is that he tends to look boll0xed, mouth wide open, gasping after 10 mins.

Any football fan, or Ireland fan, will remember the Damien Duff syndrome. It could be 2 mins into the match, he'd go for a run down the wing, and be mouth wide-open, hands on hips, looking like he smokes 40 fags a day and is about to drop.

But he'd keep that up the whole match.

I believe Conor suffers from that. He was on his stool, lactic flowing, looking ready to puke and, yet, the next 3 mins of Round 4 he started landing some beautiful combinations and his footwork was good again. I really think he's going to look gassed towards the end of Rounds in every tough fight he takes at 170lbs (which hopefully won't be many) and possibly 155lbs.

Don't get my comments twisted though, i'm accepting he did actually gas at points in that fight but the extent to which he gassed is probably exaggerated by the Duffer face.

I've rewatched it multiple times and although there was a ton of volume from Nate, especially in Round 3, he didn't land too many clean, hurtful shots.

Nate got a lot of credit for his shoulder roll in the first fight yet Conor is getting completely zero for the amount of punches he absorbed on his shoulders in the clinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »
    This place is actually staggering the blinkers and double standards are off the charts.

Sure if everyone agreed it would be dead boring in here. I say blinkers for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

newbbieb wrote: »
    Rogan basically fell silent until the end of round 2 barely mentioned how Conor was lighting him up and putting on a clinic,yeah he mentioned the leg kicks a bit but that was it.

Whenever Nate came to life so did the commmentary.

His excitement then transferred into Goldie stupidly (as usual) saying that it was a round a piece after the second which probably swayed some people to believe Diaz won that round.

Anyone who claims that last night was a robbery doesn't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

The Diaz-brothers love-in within the media is amusing. Their combined record is 45-20 and if you take Conor out of the equation they've had very few exciting fights between them in the last 5 years. And every loss either suffers is a "robbery".

Nick has an excuse for every loss. Nate likewise. I was taking it personally a tiny bit last night until i remembered this fact.

In terms of the media - Joe Rogan is the biggest culprit, and whilst that's not surprising given he's a good friend of Nate, a stoner and a jiujitsu guy, it is very irritating.

As the PPV main card opened, Rogan said "Conor lost terribly to a guy who took the fight on 10 days notice."

No, Joe. Losing terribly is Chris Avila style. Offering nothing in offense, nothing in defence, and just cluelessly strolling around.

He lost a close exciting fight in the 2nd round after panicking. And he lost to a guy he equally had 10 days to prepare for. And i fully 100% BELIEVE Conor now when he said he "ate up to the weight" the first time. He was a bloated 168lbs on that scale the first time. He gained those 8 lbs by eating. This time around he was lean.

The during fight commentary was so biased it's not even funny. This leads to a lot of neutrals, and newbies, believing Nate either Drew or Won the fight. And i fully expect Rogan to double down on his Podcast and say he thinks Nate won.

It's not just Joe. The main culprits are TMZ, and certain mainstream journos - Brett Okamoto of ESPN being one. It seems to be the more access they get to Nate, the more biased their version of events is. For example, multiple sites including TMZ reported BottleGate as Conor randomly picking up bottles and launching them at Nate. They completely omitted Nate throwing the first bottle and Nates team throwing coffee and duct tape etc.

Ariel Helwani had Conors back, which i'm thankful for, because he has a big influence on the casual MMA fan. He's a fair minded guy as well.

The media basically continued the love-in with Nate post-fight. Here's a bunch of questions they could have asked:

1. Nate you dismissed Conors training partners and SBG saying "who do you train with?", yet tonight your team went 0-2 to SBG, any thoughts on that?

2. Nate you said with a full training camp he wouldn't even touch you, yet he dropped you 3 times during that fight?

3. Nate you said Conor was just making excuses saying he ate up to the weight, yet now you're telling us you had sore ribs and a sore leg in the build up to this fight?

4. You made $2 million disclosed pay for this fight. The Nevada State Athletic Commission issued a statement saying Nick Diaz would be permitted to corner you if he paid $25,000 out of the $75,000 he owes them. Would you not just have paid the 25 grand for Nick to corner you?

Instead, they just gave him a free ride. No hard, meaningful questions, just a bunch of suck-ups.

Damien Duff

I'm not going to deny for one second that Conor had peaks and troughs with his cardio towards the ends of certain rounds. I'll completely agree with that and completely agree with anybody saying he's carrying too much muscle for his cardiovascular system to function at its best.

However, i believe Conor suffers from Damien Duff syndrome.

Which, to non football fans, is that he tends to look boll0xed, mouth wide open, gasping after 10 mins.

Any football fan, or Ireland fan, will remember the Damien Duff syndrome. It could be 2 mins into the match, he'd go for a run down the wing, and be mouth wide-open, hands on hips, looking like he smokes 40 fags a day and is about to drop.

But he'd keep that up the whole match.

I believe Conor suffers from that. He was on his stool, lactic flowing, looking ready to puke and, yet, the next 3 mins of Round 4 he started landing some beautiful combinations and his footwork was good again. I really think he's going to look gassed towards the end of Rounds in every tough fight he takes at 170lbs (which hopefully won't be many) and possibly 155lbs.

Don't get my comments twisted though, i'm accepting he did actually gas at points in that fight but the extent to which he gassed is probably exaggerated by the Duffer face.

I've rewatched it multiple times and although there was a ton of volume from Nate, especially in Round 3, he didn't land too many clean, hurtful shots.

Nate got a lot of credit for his shoulder roll in the first fight yet Conor is getting completely zero for the amount of punches he absorbed on his shoulders in the clinch.

I'm a complete neutral and I thought Diaz edged the fight. He allowed a dazed and knackered McGregor to recover in the fourth round but, other than that, he dominated from late in the second through to the finish..

McGregor via Submission
    Ardent wrote: »
    I'm a complete neutral and I thought Diaz edged the fight. He allowed a dazed and knackered McGregor to recover in the fourth round but, other than that, he dominated from late in the second through to the finish..

I would say Diaz did look like he was going to finish Conor at the end of the third but I have now watched the fight twice and there is no argument for Diaz winning. Conor won rounds 1, 2 and 4 clearn Diaz won round 3 clearly and he shaded round 5 with the late takedown. Conor won that 48-47 and it was clearly justified, he had a gameplan and he stuck to it. Now hopefully he goes down a bit in weight and that should help his cardio even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

re-watched a few times, the last one from the view of Diaz's team with McGregor's corners commentary. Roddy has some knowledge, he was reading the thing amazing, dillon hadn't a clue and wallace was very quiet, when Kavanagh spoke (not often) was always positive and spot on

people forget McGregor took Diaz down for a dew secs in the 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Diaz via Decision
    I re-watched the fight lying upside down on my couch with the volume muted and my Mother doing the ironing beside me with the Tipperary match on the radio and scored it 48-47 McGregor.

Diaz via Decision

That takedown would not have been worth a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

re-watched a few times, the last one from the view of Diaz's team with McGregor's corners commentary. Roddy has some knowledge, he was reading the thing amazing, dillon hadn't a clue and wallace was very quiet, when Kavanagh spoke (not often) was always positive and spot on

Where did you find SBG commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision

He tripped him and Diaz got straight back up, meant about as much as when Nate had McGregor down earlier in the fight with strikes only for the cage to keep Conor up.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

callaway92 wrote: »
    I re-watched the fight lying upside down on my couch with the volume muted and my Mother doing the ironing beside me with the Tipperary match on the radio and scored it 48-47 McGregor.

:pac:

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    That takedown would not have been worth a jot.

if you backed McGregor to win takedowns it meant a lot till 10 secs to go - 9/1 mother ****er

if you backed McGregor to win takedowns it meant a lot till 10 secs to go - 9/1 mother ****er

That is a very poor bet to take to be fair.

Diaz via Decision

You sure showed me . . . .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

..screaming KICK HIS LEEEEEEGSSSSSS at the tv!
    Deadst4r wrote: »
    Haha! All I said for 5 rounds was KICK HIS LEGGGGGGSSSSSS

I'm sure my neighbours were mere moments away from calling the men in white coats after hearing "KICK HIS LEGGGGGGGSSSSS!" solidly for 25 minutes at all hours of the morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Kirby wrote: »
    :confused: There is a 15 pound difference in the weight classes. Of course he'll be smaller. He said it himself, he has no abs at 170 and notices a bit of a belly. (for him).

At 155 he has definition.
    He cuts weight to make that 155. He isn't 15 pounds lighter in the octagon. He's be very very close to the weight we seen last night.
    Dempsey wrote: »
    Maybe not on fight night but he'll have to cut 15 pounds for a weight in. Its a significant different for training and diet
    That's almost all water weight. He's not dieting down 13 pounds.
    So like I said, he's carrying the same muscle we seen last night for an LW fights.
    Longer term he might be carry more lean mass and less fat.
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I find it strange that people won't admit it was close too.
    Round 1 was the only completely one sided round.
    Even round 3, which was a clear Diaz round, had elements of success for Conor. It was even for most of the round.
    Closeness aside, Rounds 1, 3 and 4 are clear enough. 2-1 McGregor in those ones.
    The fight was decided by rounds 2 and 5. These rounds were razor thin and should highlight the closeness of the fight for anyone who thinks otherwise. I scored them 1-1 in those rounds making it a very close 3-2 to Conor.
    I posted my scoring in real time and commented at the end that 4-1 or 2-3 were both possible.

People saying it wasn't close are delusional.
    But the delusion is appearing on the other extreme too. People applying all sorts of retroactive scoring to suit their idea. If you want to give Nate round 2, or a 10-8 in the third that's fine. But back it up, break down the round and justify the score. I haven't seen that yet from anyone scoring it for Nate. Saying "that's just how I scored it" sticks of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ardent wrote: »

In other words McGregor won rounds 1, 2 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Just rewatched too. No way was the 3rd a 10-8 to Diaz. McGregor landed alot of nice shots in that round. Very clear 48-47.

Rewatched it this evening and yeah it was never a 10-8 round. Conor got a lot of offence in and it was actually a fairly close round until the last 40 seconds or so when Nate had him pinned up against the fence and started unloading on him. That was enough to win the round but never a 10-8 round.

McGregor via Submission
    Round 4, reflexes and defense on point. This was the round that won it for Conor.
    He can out from his corner knowing he had to win the 4th.

Larger version here

FlatBogusAtlanticspadefish-size_restricted.gif

McGregor via Submission
    Diaz is pissed as fook with Danis. Massive lol at the irony there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Serious money. Wonder what they get when you count their PPV cut.

Last week I read that the reason the Dana walked away from the meeting he had with Nate in Stockton was because he wanted the same PPV cut as Conor. Dana had apparently tried to get him to agree to the same deal he had for 200 which was not near Conor's cut. They estimated $15m or thereabouts for each fighter ($13m for Nate) which I had thought was crazy talk (still do tbh) but again tonight I see similar amounts being bandied about. No wonder Nate wants a rematch so.

What was he got for the Johnson fight in December, $20,000? Plus the same amount as a FOTN bonus? Crazy.

He should get himself a framed photo of RDA's foot xray so that he can kiss it each night before he goes to bed.

And one of Conor while he's at it.

Advertisement