Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Big issue is still cardio, he paced himself (compared to his normal pace) in R1-2 but he still looked half cooked by the end of R2. Caught a second wind to win R4 which won him the fight, but still an issue seeing he'll be fighting 5R fights pretty much every fight. Clinch was another weakness but that was partially down to fatigue.

Also, Kavanagh: "You're winning the clinch every time" :ermm::ermm::ermm: wtf

Having rewatched it a couple of times now, I think he did quite well in clinch. He didn't take any serious damage, was able to dish back with elbows and knees, whilst reversing Nate a number of times, including a nice trip. Perception was colored by the 3rd round, where he looked to be trying to conserve himself and weather Nate's storm.

I actually think the 3rd was a big part in Nate losing the fight. He went for broke at the end and probably burnt up a lot of energy doing so. He didn't mount much of an effective attack after that. If he hadn't scored the takedown at the end of the 5th, I think Conor prob takes that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Having rewatched it a couple of times now, I think he did quite well in clinch. He didn't take any serious damage, was able to dish back with elbows and knees, whilst reversing Nate a number of times, including a nice trip. Perception was colored by the 3rd round, where he looked to be trying to conserve himself and weather Nate's storm.

I actually think the 3rd was a big part in Nate losing the fight. He went for broke at the end and probably burnt up a lot of energy doing so. He didn't mount much of an effective attack after that. If he hadn't scored the takedown at the end of the 5th, I think Conor prob takes that one too.

Hmm I dunno, it was Nate's main point scorer through the fight, Conor reversed him once at the fence but other than that he was being controlled and taking strikes. He did very well to not take too much damage but Nate still controlled the vast majority of the clinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

"You're winning the clinch every time" is flat out wrong, and it encourages Conor to engage the clinch which is bad. There's encouraging your fighter and there's just being a bit deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    "You're winning the clinch every time" is flat out wrong, and it encourages Conor to engage the clinch which is bad. There's encouraging your fighter and there's just being a bit deluded.
    I took that to mean the defense that he worked on (with Danis in theMacLife vids) was effective.

I think it's wrong to say it encouraged him to engage the clinch as he didn't actually engage the clinch. Not that I remember anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

To be honest I like Khabib. One thing I will say about Conor is he held his own in the clinch against a guy who was near 23lbs heavier than him in the cage which is fairly impressive.

what's the source for the weight? I heard Conor saying he was 190 in the ring, but took it as an exaggeration. Admit I don't know a lot about this stuff, but how does Diaz put on 20lbs more than McGregor in one day after the weigh-in or what am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Mellor wrote: »
    I took that to mean the defense that he worked on (with Danis in theMacLife vids) was effective.

I think it's wrong to say it encouraged him to engage the clinch as he didn't actually engage the clinch. Not that I remember anyway.

I'm pretty sure at the break in one of the rounds Kavanagh told McGregor he should be initiating the clinch and using it to recover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    RGDATA! wrote: »
    what's the source for the weight? I heard Conor saying he was 190 in the ring, but took it as an exaggeration. Admit I don't know a lot about this stuff, but how does Diaz put on 20lbs more than McGregor in one day after the weigh-in or what am I missing?

Because Diaz cut to 170, McGregor didn't.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Because Diaz cut to 170, McGregor didn't.

OK, understood Diaz was cutting, but, and again excuse my ignorance, he'd really have been able to put back on 20lbs in one day? (i understand a lot of that would be water)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure at the break in one of the rounds Kavanagh told McGregor he should be initiating the clinch and using it to recover

Yep, definitely said this. I think it was after round 3? I feared the worst for McGregor after that advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i think 190 is an exaggeration, but he was at least 180 in the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Exactly. Conor didnt cut...at all. He weighed in 2 pounds under and fought at that weight. Diaz had to cut hard the last few days to even make 170.5 and went up at least 10 pounds between the weigh-in and the fight.

It makes a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

RGDATA! wrote:
    OK, understood Diaz was cutting, but, and again excuse my ignorance, he'd really have been able to put back on 20lbs in one day? (i understand a lot of that would be water)

Shur Conor weighs somewhere in the region of 165lbs fight night after weighing in at 145lbs. Some lads on here are better at explaining the weight cut and gain process but essentially Nate would have deprived himself of liquids to get down to 171lbs and then drank tonnes of water overnight to rehydrate up to 190lbs. It's common practice for all fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Diaz via Submission
    froog wrote: »
    i think 190 is an exaggeration, but he was at least 180 in the ring.

no, no its not. he would be closer to 190 than 180

Diaz via Submission

We'll never know what he really weighed, but it's possible.

McGregor via Submission
    RoryMac wrote: »
    He might have. I haven't heard the full corner audio yet.

But Conor didn't do it did he?

cheers lads - I do understand about cutting, but 20lbs just seemed crazy/exaggerated to me, though many of you saying it would in fact have been the guts of that.

McGregor via Submission
    Diaz said he was 176 or 177 in there. He's probably under selling his weight now that he lost. The other day he said he was 185.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cheers lads - I do understand about cutting, but 20lbs just seemed crazy/exaggerated to me, though many of you saying it would in fact have been the guts of that.

You can cut about 10% of your body weight in water so cutting from 190 to 170 is possible. Could probably cut even more if you really wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Diaz via Decision
    Yeah Kav said that between 3 & 4 when Conor was tired just before he got 2nd wind. In fairness he was doing ok there, some of Diaz shots was very light and caused his high stats in Round 3.

I wasn't sure what Kav was gonna say there, it took him a little while, not sure if that was intentional to get him to breathe as it was the low point in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

McGregor via Submission
    Anyone that has not rewatched the fight and is still thinking Diaz won that or it was a draw needs to go review the rules for how judging is scored in MMA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Watched the fight back. How anybody can argue for a 10-8 round in round 3 is laughable.

Diaz dominated in the latter stages of the round sure but when you watch it on mute and don't hear Rogan shouting "OH HE HURT HIM" over and over again, you can see that Conor was rolling with a lot of those punches. They landed for sure but the impact looked a lot less because he was going with the punches.

I am still in shock how Conor pulled that 4th round out of the bag. One of the most gutsy 5 minutes I have seen in a long time because I and many people called it that he looked done and dead on his feet.

I'd encourage everybody to watch it back on mute. Rogan holds so much sway in what he says and his usual claiming of fighters getting rocked etc looked a lot less worse than what it looked at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Diaz via Decision
    Yeah agree, Conor came out strong and dominated 3.5 mins of the 4th and last 90 seconds were even enough. That is where the fight was won and lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Diaz via Decision
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Watched the fight back. How anybody can argue for a 10-8 round in round 3 is laughable.

Diaz dominated in the latter stages of the round sure but when you watch it on mute and don't hear Rogan shouting "OH HE HURT HIM" over and over again, you can see that Conor was rolling with a lot of those punches. They landed for sure but the impact looked a lot less because he was going with the punches.

I am still in shock how Conor pulled that 4th round out of the bag. One of the most gutsy 5 minutes I have seen in a long time because I and many people called it that he looked done and dead on his feet.

I'd encourage everybody to watch it back on mute. Rogan holds so much sway in what he says and his usual claiming of fighters getting rocked etc looked a lot less worse than what it looked at the time.

Highly unfair. Rogan commentated on it brilliantly.

Diaz via Submission
    callaway92 wrote: »

Nah, his commentary is biased. He loves his mate Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

McGregor via Submission
    Rogan was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Rogan was awful.

aaaaaagggh now...joe is alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

callaway92 wrote: »

I think Rogan is brilliant but he was clearly not calling the fight as objectively as he should have. Goldberg compounded the issue too.

Anyone going by commentary would have thought it was 1-1 after two rounds yet anyone applying the rules would know it was 2-0 Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Think the 1-1 came from Goldberg, but you really shouldn't pay too much attention to the commentary unless you want it to skew your own analysis of the fight.

Rogan gets excited in general, and that riles Goldberg up. They are pretty entertaining though, if not always perfect.

Rogan has gotten ridiculously excited before during Conor fights and no complaints, why does it bother anybody this time?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Big fan of Rogan but he was saying Nate rocked Conor in the 3rd when he really didn't, Conor seemed to take a slap, got his footing after a brief slip, then dodged 3/5 of the flurry Nate put on him. The round was absolutely Diaz but I think Conor being leggy was mistaken for him being rocked - poor call from Joe

Like someone else posted - he rolled with the punches.

I think what McGregor said in the post fight interview was spot on - his class was evident, he was the better fighter, Nates durability came into it in the latter rounds after Conor gassed a little, but even then, Conor showed some serious athleticism in that 4th round to pull clear on points going into the 5th, I was delighted for him, first time he's been given a proper challenge and came through it admirably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

McGregor via Submission
    Duggie2012 wrote: »
    aaaaaagggh now...joe is alright

I like Joe, i just think he did a really poor job calling the action.

Advertisement