Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

darced wrote: »
    You are acting delusional, you also left out the last 30 odd seconds of the round as well

In the sequence Conor took at least 20 clean punches and was walked back to his stool by the ref who also says something to the doctor. He slumps in his corner eyes closed unable to speak. The ref also asks him if he is ok to continue at the start of the 4th round but yeah Joe Rogan is the devil.

Didn't take anything like 20 clean punches.

Dodged a lot, rolled with a lot, most that landed weren't full clean shots.

He was never in danger of being stopped.

Neither was Nate during the fight fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Muahahaha wrote: »

Watched it again last night and noticed that at no stage did Conor engage in any antics, Nate was the only one doing any talking during the fight. When Nate made gestures Conor never re-acted. This must have been part of the gameplan, he was solely focused on the win and wouldnt let himself get dragged into anything that upset that focus.

Something I noticed too, right from the walk in. He doesn't even make his usual goofy crazy eyes look at the camera. Just stares straight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    making out nothing was landing is ridiculous.

Don't think he claimed this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Something I noticed too, right from the walk in. He doesn't even make his usual goofy crazy eyes look at the camera. Just stares straight on.
    No goofy crazy eyes but we got a Vinny Mac walk instead, which I thought was much better.

• Advertisement

Diaz via Submission

Diaz via Submission
    I'm responding to the hilarious notion that Nate landed nothing significant and that Conor was fine it was just Rogan influencing the plebs.

No, you said:
    making out nothing was landing is ridiculous.

I don't think he claimed NOTHING landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    You'd imagine Aldo's record of pulling out of fights is another contributing factor of why Conor doesn't want the fight.

I'd rather see him fight Holloway again rather than Aldo, but that won't happen with the interim belt .......Edgar blew his chance, we're likely never see that fight unless it's at 55

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone care to speculate why in the first Diaz match Conor just couldnt knock him down whereas this one he did it three times?
    Was it better accuracy or better strength in his arms? Combination of both maybe? Seems something has changed as in the first fight he did still light Diaz up but never managed to put him off his feet. In this fight it looked like he could do it with ease relative to the first one.

The legs kicks weakened his stance on that leading leg, I don't think he was particularly hurt in those knockdowns otherwise McGregor would have gone for the finish.......he literally couldn't stand up with the leg kick/punch combinations

Diaz via Submission

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diaz via Decision
    I don't get the "omg he managed to get him onto the ground... he automatically wins this round" nonsense that some people come out with. I'm not sure why a takedown is even scored if it doesn't result in strikes or a submission attempt. Nate would actually have LIKED to be taken down in that fight... how could you give Conor a score boost (let alone a round) for doing so? (eliminate all thoughts of strikes on the ground and sub attempts, those are all scored separately!).

Seriously this idea of "well he boxed the head off him but late in the round the guy managed to drag him to the floor so the guy wins that round" is proper nonsense and thankfully not translating to actual score any more it seems or at least the right amount of score.

Diaz via Submission
    I was originally responding to wonderfullifes post saying very very few significant punches landed at the end of round 3 in the video which actually left out 35 seconds of the round that he was talking about.

The point being made is nothing of substance was landed by Diaz and Conor was fine, I was arguing against that.

I took a look back at the fight to check again and completely disagree to that line of thinking.

I know you know exactly what I meant anyway but decide to just pick out a wrong word or phrase in my post.

Good on you, have you any opinion yourself?

I only saw the fight once. So no, I have no real analysis to offer. My memory says he was lucky to escape that round, but I would like to see it again with Rogan switched off.

Try to be more careful with your use of language in future, it can make it seem like you mean one thing, when you mean something else entirely. Nothing is a fairly strong statement.

Mod: If you have nothing to offer then don't post - no need for the back seat moderating or childish comments..('yawn')..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Diaz via Decision

Great VLog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Looked at that last minute another few times just now.

Nothing but half power rabbit punches landed until the last 10 seconds or so. A lot of what was thrown was not landing clean.
    Nate landed a few shots at the very end alright but I don't think it was close to a stoppage.

I don't think Conor was hurt, even back in his corner his eyes were closed to focus on his breathing, he didn't look badly hurt to me and the way he came out strong in round 4 looks to back that up.

John took a look just to be sure he wasn't in bits but I believe he has said himself he was never thinking of stopping the fight at any stage.

If that happened at the start of round 4 who knows what would have happened. Maybe Conor would have got out of there and regrouped. It's possible Nate would have teed off and got some sort of finish. We shall never know.

Diaz via Submission

Diaz via Submission
    It also helps to follow the flow of the discussion in the thread, you can then get a better idea before you post.

I will be more careful in the future knowing there are posters lurking in the shadows with no real opinion waiting to add nothing to the thread.

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Looked at that last minute another few times just now.

Nothing but half power rabbit punches landed until the last 10 seconds or so. A lot of what was thrown was not landing clean.
    Nate landed a few shots at the very end alright but I don't think it was close to a stoppage.

I don't think Conor was hurt, even back in his corner his eyes were closed to focus on his breathing, he didn't look badly hurt to me and the way he came out strong in round 4 looks to back that up.

John took a look just to be sure he wasn't in bits but I believe he has said himself he was never thinking of stopping the fight at any stage.

If that happened at the start of round 4 who knows what would have happened. Maybe Conor would have got out of there and regrouped. It's possible Nate would have teed off and got some sort of finish. We shall never know.

So? It doesn't matter what you think. Or I think. Or even what McCarthy thinks because darced looked into his eyes and seen some twisted parallel universe that fits in with his anti-McGregor feelings.

https://twitter.com/JohnMcCarthyMMA/status/767953528908226565

Mod: Have a proper discussion if you are going to have one but drop the winding people up and provoking a response with remarks like this and FYP's

Diaz via Submission

Diaz via Submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission

fixed that for ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Diaz via Decision
    DeVore wrote: »
    I don't get the "omg he managed to get him onto the ground... he automatically wins this round" nonsense that some people come out with. I'm not sure why a takedown is even scored if it doesn't result in strikes or a submission attempt. Nate would actually have LIKED to be taken down in that fight... how could you give Conor a score boost (let alone a round) for doing so? (eliminate all thoughts of strikes on the ground and sub attempts, those are all scored separately!).

Seriously this idea of "well he boxed the head off him but late in the round the guy managed to drag him to the floor so the guy wins that round" is proper nonsense and thankfully not translating to actual score any more it seems or at least the right amount of score.

Doesn't matter. You are still in control of your opponent.

Diaz via Submission

Diaz via Submission
    It's always excuse after excuse when McGregor wins, you ever notice that?

Poirier took a dive
    Mendes didn't have a full camp
    Aldo was a lucky punch
    Diaz, judges were corrupt

He will never have a true win in his entire career, in the eyes of some.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    Saipanne & Devastator..enough of the school yard nonsense. Have a proper discussion if you are going to post - the childish comments, back seat moderating and tit for tat arent welcome so give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wonder will Diaz part with some cash to have his face fixed and remove some of that scar tissue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Diaz via Submission
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Wonder will Diaz part with some cash to have his face fixed and remove some of that scar tissue

was thinking this myself, its about time to get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

The atmosphere was brilliant on the night in the arena. After the fight I noticed Nick Diaz in the MGM with his crew so I went up and said to him, 'I know it's been a bad night for you but I'd love to get a picture with you". Bit cheeky with my Ireland colours.

He took my phone off me and took the selfie. He actually took it twice as the first one was blurry. Sound fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

DeVore wrote: »

Yeah.. I don't know, I see where you're coming from but I do enjoy the fact it is scored. Adds a chess element to it. For example, in the 5th I could barely watch the round, all I kept saying is make it a close one and you should win 3 other rounds, just survive...

But when I looked back it (and again when even more sober) Conor was damn close to winning that round.

The 4th round is probably the best 5 minutes of fighting you'll ever see from Conor. His tactical awareness, his footwork, his headwork, and his ability to read and predict whilst having his vision blurred by blood and sweat was nothing short of masterful. Everyone bangs on about round 1 and 2 but for me round 4, in the context of the issues he had in round 3, was sublime.

He carried a lot of that into round 5, he was tired but still managed to evade a lot of significant strikes and almost ALWAYS landed a sweet counter that shook Nate. Had he a smidgen of more gas and maybe did a bit more repositioning he probably would've won that round. As it was I think he was happy to clinch, get his breath, and defend take downs. In the end I don't think Nate had much gas left and desperately looked for a takedown to score points... and whilst it isn't ideal, isn't that the fun of the sport? There's no right or wrong, just a fighter and their ability to win a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I haven't seen it mentioned on here and it doesn't really make a difference overall because of the result, but is it just me that thinks judge Glenn Trowbridge giving Diaz a 10-8 in the 3rd was a disgrace?

Personally I feel there's more of an argument for giving McGregor a 10-8 in either the 1st or 2nd round considering he dropped Diaz once in round 1 and twice in round 2. Diaz certainly won the 3rd round but a 10-8? **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Diaz via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    I haven't seen it mentioned on here and it doesn't really make a difference overall because of the result, but is it just me that thinks judge Glenn Trowbridge giving Diaz a 10-8 in the 3rd was a disgrace?

Personally I feel there's more of an argument for giving McGregor a 10-8 in either the 1st or 2nd round considering he dropped Diaz once in round 1 and twice in round 2. Diaz certainly won the 3rd round but a 10-8? **** off.

He was justified in giving that 10-8 imo...Conor was in serious trouble at the end of that round...it was the beginning of the end if not for the bell. If there was ever a moment that the fight was close to ending..it was that one

The difference was that while Conor did drop Nate, he never actually capitalised on it..He waited for Nate to get back up as he knew better than to try and go down

Conors shots were more about timing and removing Nates Balance than stunning him (Like Aldo for example)...Nate was bloodied and dropped, but there was no point he was in a position where he couldnt defend..but Conor was losing it at the end of round 3...theres the difference

However i can see why some scored it 10-9...really its down to opinion...theres a case for both..far from a disgrace

Advertisement