Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

Hard to argue with Ozzyman's review of the fight...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

mdwexford wrote: »
    Rewatched there for the first time.

Conor obviously won r1, Nate finished r2 well but nowhere near enough to nick it. r3 was a lot closer than I thought live, up until 60 seconds left there was nothing in it. Nate obviously had a very strong last minute but I don't think Conor was ever in danger of being stopped, he dodged a lot of shots and rolled several others. To score it 10-8 for Nate is madness.
    r4 was Conor, r5 was close takedown made sure it was a Nate round.

All in all I can't see how anyone that understands how fights are scored didn't give Conor the nod.

I also don't want to see him fight Nate again next.
    Alvarez is the fight I want to see him possibly make history being a double champion at the same time. I don't think they'll strip the FW belt regardless.

DC vs Rumble is also a fight to look forward to. KOing Glover like that is pretty sick. Shows what a chin DC has to have gotten out of r1 with Rumble.
    Paully D wrote: »
    I haven't seen it mentioned on here and it doesn't really make a difference overall because of the result, but is it just me that thinks judge Glenn Trowbridge giving Diaz a 10-8 in the 3rd was a disgrace?

Personally I feel there's more of an argument for giving McGregor a 10-8 in either the 1st or 2nd round considering he dropped Diaz once in round 1 and twice in round 2. Diaz certainly won the 3rd round but a 10-8? **** off.

Yeah I posted the same earlier.

It's a shocker of a 10-8.
    Was a dead level round till the last 60 seconds.
    Nate landed a few shots then and had a good last 10 seconds.

Was never a danger of a stoppage.

No way it was a 10-8, none of the rounds were imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I haven't seen it mentioned on here and it doesn't really make a difference overall because of the result, but is it just me that thinks judge Glenn Trowbridge giving Diaz a 10-8 in the 3rd was a disgrace?

Personally I feel there's more of an argument for giving McGregor a 10-8 in either the 1st or 2nd round considering he dropped Diaz once in round 1 and twice in round 2. Diaz certainly won the 3rd round but a 10-8? **** off.

For the final minute of Round 3, Nate his fresh air and shoulder more than he hit Conor. You can argue opposite until you're blue in the face but that's precisely what happened.

Conor wasn't rocked, wasn't wobbled, wasn't falling into Nate to hold himself up.

Nate unloaded on him in a flurry but the majority of those punches flat out missed.

The clean shots he did land were body punches and short hooks to the face with no power behind them.

There wasn't one moment in the end of Round 3 where Conor stopped weaving, slipping, dodging. Not once.

Furthermore up until that 1 minute to go point, the round was so even. It's arguable Conor did the cleaner work in Round 3 until that flurry.

So any argument for a 10-8 is beyond laughable.

I challenge anybody to watch Round 1 of Hector Lombard v Neil Magny again.

Hector Lombard absolutely destroyed Neil Magny in Round 1. Destruction. Had Magny in serious, serious trouble. Shipping haymakers on him. And all 3 Judges scored that 10-9!

There is not a cat chances in hell Nate Diaz did even 10% close to enough to win Round 3 10-8.

Darced if you have the time or energy rewatch the 1 minute flurry and pick out some of the clean power shots you feel Nate landed clean - and by clean i mean clean to the face or body, not clipping shoulders and arms.

I'm a bit obsessive so i've watch Round 3 a dozen times and there really isn't a LOT of clean hurtful work being done by Nate. He just wildly unloaded shots.

IMO the closest round to a 10-8 was Round 2 and by close i mean if Nate didn't rally in that last minute of Round 2 it was definitely going down as a 10-8. He rallied and kept it at 10-9.

In fact, upon multiple re-watches there's a very clear trend in every single round.

Conor either won (or didn't lose) the first 3 and a half mins of every single round.

Nate had 2 strong rallies - late in round 2 and late in round 3.

If you take those 2 strong rallies out of the equation you're looking at 50-45 or 50-46.

In short, Nate did 2-3 mins of strong rallying in a 25 minute fight. Other than that Conor was clearly on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

pone2012 wrote: »
    He was justified in giving that 10-8 imo...Conor was in serious trouble at the end of that round...it was the beginning of the end if not for the bell. If there was ever a moment that the fight was close to ending..it was that one

The difference was that while Conor did drop Nate, he never actually capitalised on it..He waited for Nate to get back up as he knew better than to try and go down

Conors shots were more about timing and removing Nates Balance than stunning him (Like Aldo for example)...Nate was bloodied and dropped, but there was no point he was in a position where he couldnt defend..but Conor was losing it at the end of round 3...theres the difference

However i can see why some scored it 10-9...really its down to opinion...theres a case for both..far from a disgrace

I've watched the round 5 times now and I just can't see there being justification for a 10-8, especially from a judge who scored rounds 1 and 2 as 10-9's (though I understand where you are coming from).

0:00-1:00 of the round - back and forth shots with Nate having the better of it. Stockton Slap and a bit of taunting before Conor does well to clinch up.

1:00-2:00 - Nate tries the takedown via a trip which is well defended by Conor. Conor gets the position on the clinch which Nate subsequently reverses. Not much happening in the early stages of this segment but Conor is looking for under hooks and is trying to reverse position. They break and Conor catches Nate with a lovely left-right combo which rattles Diaz. Another couple of leg kicks and a strong counter left from McGregor. Nate throws a couple of shots and fails to connect, Conor lands a couple of body shots.

2:00-3:00 - Nate is talking to Conor, taunting him. Nate lands another slap, Conor tries a spinning kick to the body in response. Nate catches his leg and looks for the take down. They clinch against the cage. Nate tries a take down which is well defended by Conor. McGregor lands a hard elbow on the break and gains position in the clinch.

3:00-4:00 - Nate reverses position in the clinch and has the upper hand. Nate lands a nice combo on the break. McGregor circles away while Nate points and laughs. They exchange blows. Conor lands two nice leg kicks. Next part of the round sees both fighters throw shots but land very little. Conor again lands a leg kick which is instantly returned with a slap from Nate and a body kick which Conor counters with a left hand.

4:00-5:00 - Conor clinches in the middle of the octagon, Nate lands a couple of nice body shots and they break. Nate backs Conor up with a 1-2. They clinch against the fence with Diaz in position. With about 40 seconds left in the round, Nate breaks from the clinch and starts to unload. This lasts for about 10 seconds with him landing 3 good shots to the head and the same to the body. He does fail to connect flush with many. Conor clinches, Nate breaks and lands 1 more strong shot to the head. Conor clinches again, Nate breaks and lands a heck of shot to the body and another couple of the head.

There's just no way I can see enough there to score it a 10-8 in Nate's favour and I think it's ridiculous judging to be honest. Nate had a flurry late in the round but it was more volume than anything else. Even Big John himself said he never considered stopping the action at any point. I can't accept that being a 10-8 in any way, shape or form. There was 4:20 of action in that round which was very, very even and about 15 seconds within that last 40 that was just clinch work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

How is it decided a round is 10 - 8 or not? What makes it 10-8 rather than 10 -9? Can there be a 10 - 7? Does it ever happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Rewatched the last 3 rounds there, jesus round 4 was nothing short of fantastic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How is it decided a round is 10 - 8 or not? What makes it 10-8 rather than 10 -9? Can there be a 10 - 7? Does it ever happen?

A round wo get a 10-8 if one fighter is completely dominant and the other does practically nothing or very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission

10-8 is defined as total domination in striking or grappling or both. 10-7s are virtually non-existent but I think there have been a handful in the UFC. When a 10-7 wasn't given to Gray Maynard in the first round of his first title fight with Frankie Edgar, they may as well not exist tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Excellent Joey Diaz podcast here with John McCarthy where he talks about what points are awarded for (32 minutes in).

Interesting comment about significant strikes:
    "UFC will put out 'Significant Strike Stats'. Whoever pushes that button is a fcuking moron".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

A round wo get a 10-8 if one fighter is completely dominant and the other does practically nothing or very little.

Interesting - I've noticed the same in boxing.

Just a thought but maybe the scoring system should be looked at? All of those rounds were not 10 - 9 - this would indicate they were kinda equal if you follow me. Yet I I don't think there was a 10 - 8 if the above is true....

Anyway just a thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TV3 showing the main event at 10:15 tonight. I miss the full cards on 3e

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just watching again now on TV3. Conor's head movement at the end of Round 2 was amazing. He was ducking and dodging so well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And the best spell of the fight for Diaz came for him at (wait for it! :D )

...4:20 in the third round. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

An File wrote: »
    Just watching again now on TV3. Conor's head movement at the end of Round 2 was amazing. He was ducking and dodging so well.

And round 3.

Looked worst than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Watched it a few times now. Still amazed at how well McGregor recovered in the 4th.

His use of the right jab and his work in the clinch was excellent in that round.

He was much more efficient with his striking than Nate throughout the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    An File wrote: »

And round 3.

Looked worst than it was.

Absolutely.

Just watched it back for the first time and it's crazy how differently I see the fight now.

I don't really blame Joe Rogan because in real time, a lot of those combos Nate was throwing looked like they were landing, but when you watch it back Conors head movement was phenomenal. Nates flurry in the last 40 seconds of the third was great, but imo, was not enough to secure a 10-8 considering Conor actually landed several big lefts, a nice elbow and several hard leg kicks in that round. It must be pretty difficult to be a judge, listening to the crowd and thinking that those combos are all landing.

But I also do blame Joe Rogan because several times he screams that Conor is rocked. E.g. in the 2nd, when the shot Nate throws doesn't even land and Conor is just trying to move backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Deadst4r wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Just watched it back for the first time and it's crazy how differently I see the fight now.

I don't really blame Joe Rogan because in real time, a lot of those combos Nate was throwing looked like they were landing, but when you watch it back Conors head movement was phenomenal. Nates flurry in the last 40 seconds of the third was great, but imo, was not enough to secure a 10-8 considering Conor actually landed several big lefts, a nice elbow and several hard leg kicks in that round. It must be pretty difficult to be a judge, listening to the crowd and thinking that those combos are all landing.

But I also do blame Joe Rogan because several times he screams that Conor is rocked. E.g. in the 2nd, when the shot Nate throws doesn't even land and Conor is just trying to move backwards.

In fairness if rogan is looking in the cage he is looking up so probably sees the movement backwards. Any sort of mis step can look like hes not steady. Not sure why so much hate for rogan most of the time he says someone is rocked hes correct and he would have the perfect view whereas on tv you mainly only see the upper bodies.

His job is hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Absolutely.

Me too. Watched it with my nephews there now and it was glorious, Conor fared WAY better than I had thought in the throws of my freakout at the end of the 3rd, haha. There is no way anyone could watch that and argue Nate won.
    It was beautiful, and I am glad Tv3 showed the replay so everyone could catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    Absolutely.

In fairness if rogan is looking in the cage he is looking up so probably sees the movement backwards. Any sort of mis step can look like hes not steady. Not sure why so much hate for rogan most of the time he says someone is rocked hes correct and he would have the perfect view whereas on tv you mainly only see the upper bodies.

His job is hyperbole

The reason for the hate is because fair enough joe has a pretty poor view, but he did not react even nearly the same when Conor knocked nate down.

You can attribute Conors knockdowns to nates legs being weak and him not actually being hurt; but nate connected with Conors shoulder when he fell backwards and Joe freaked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 blue_man83

I cannot post a link but go to MMA Core website and look for the video with full fight with SBG commentary. Hell just google it.

This is such an interesting take on the fight. Apologies if someone has posted before.

Not only does the SBG commentary give you a close look inside their plans but it gives those Conor doubters a closer look at him during the fight.

Watch to how he responds to John and Owen.

Take away the bravado the illusion of insanity (love that) and see whats behind the hard work. Do yourself a favour and watch all 5 rounds with the commentary. Watch how this time he clinches when Nate gets busy.

What I saw in this fight was Conor McGregor growing up and evolving as a fighter. Cannot wiat till we see them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Diaz via Decision
    I've watched the round 5 times now and I just can't see there being justification for a 10-8, especially from a judge who scored rounds 1 and 2 as 10-9's (though I understand where you are coming from).

0:00-1:00 of the round - back and forth shots with Nate having the better of it. Stockton Slap and a bit of taunting before Conor does well to clinch up.

1:00-2:00 - Nate tries the takedown via a trip which is well defended by Conor. Conor gets the position on the clinch which Nate subsequently reverses. Not much happening in the early stages of this segment but Conor is looking for under hooks and is trying to reverse position. They break and Conor catches Nate with a lovely left-right combo which rattles Diaz. Another couple of leg kicks and a strong counter left from McGregor. Nate throws a couple of shots and fails to connect, Conor lands a couple of body shots.

2:00-3:00 - Nate is talking to Conor, taunting him. Nate lands another slap, Conor tries a spinning kick to the body in response. Nate catches his leg and looks for the take down. They clinch against the cage. Nate tries a take down which is well defended by Conor. McGregor lands a hard elbow on the break and gains position in the clinch.

3:00-4:00 - Nate reverses position in the clinch and has the upper hand. Nate lands a nice combo on the break. McGregor circles away while Nate points and laughs. They exchange blows. Conor lands two nice leg kicks. Next part of the round sees both fighters throw shots but land very little. Conor again lands a leg kick which is instantly returned with a slap from Nate and a body kick which Conor counters with a left hand.

4:00-5:00 - Conor clinches in the middle of the octagon, Nate lands a couple of nice body shots and they break. Nate backs Conor up with a 1-2. They clinch against the fence with Diaz in position. With about 40 seconds left in the round, Nate breaks from the clinch and starts to unload. This lasts for about 10 seconds with him landing 3 good shots to the head and the same to the body. He does fail to connect flush with many. Conor clinches, Nate breaks and lands 1 more strong shot to the head. Conor clinches again, Nate breaks and lands a heck of shot to the body and another couple of the head.

There's just no way I can see enough there to score it a 10-8 in Nate's favour and I think it's ridiculous judging to be honest. Nate had a flurry late in the round but it was more volume than anything else. Even Big John himself said he never considered stopping the action at any point. I can't accept that being a 10-8 in any way, shape or form. There was 4:20 of action in that round which was very, very even and about 15 seconds within that last 40 that was just clinch work.

That was never an even round, it was the most significant in terms of distance by a mile...Nate Diaz landed 58 significant strikes, McGregor 24..thats almost 2.5 times difference...And Conors defence had gone to absolute s**t at the point when Nate let those flurries go...The bell saved Conor in that round...to think otherwise is downplaying Diaz's dominance in that round

Theres plenty of justification for a 10-8 there imo...it was the only round worthy of it, and ill agree it could be challenged....but theres absolutley a basis to call it as such

+1, very big trouble..if there was ever a point that fight was going to end, it would have been there...Conor did well to survive it, because it was totally one sided towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

For the final minute of Round 3, Nate his fresh air and shoulder more than he hit Conor. You can argue opposite until you're blue in the face but that's precisely what happened.

Conor wasn't rocked, wasn't wobbled, wasn't falling into Nate to hold himself up.

Nate unloaded on him in a flurry but the majority of those punches flat out missed.

The clean shots he did land were body punches and short hooks to the face with no power behind them.

There wasn't one moment in the end of Round 3 where Conor stopped weaving, slipping, dodging. Not once.

Furthermore up until that 1 minute to go point, the round was so even. It's arguable Conor did the cleaner work in Round 3 until that flurry.

So any argument for a 10-8 is beyond laughable.

Yeeh Conor was definitely very tired towards the end of the 3rd round but I don't believe he was hurt particularly badly. And BJM who was standing a yard or two away has said as much in saying he was not close at all to stopping the fight. Nate won the round with that late flurry but I saw no real justification for a 10-8 round. Nate ate a lot of hard shots himself earlier in the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    pone2012 wrote: »
    That was never an even round, it was the most significant in terms of distance by a mile...Nate Diaz landed 58 significant strikes, McGregor 24..thats almost 2.5 times difference...And Conors defence had gone to absolute s**t at the point when Nate let those flurries go...The bell saved Conor in that round...to think otherwise is downplaying Diaz's dominance in that round

Theres plenty of justification for a 10-8 there imo...it was the only round worthy of it, and ill agree it could be challenged....but theres absolutley a basis to call it as such
    Significant strikes were 49 to 26 in the third. The largest differential of any round. But as big as you suggested above. I agree that it was a clear cut Diaz round. But I can't see a 10-8 tbh.
    What justification for a 10-8 are you referring to? Specifically what aspect make it a 10-8 for you.

I've had a few lads tell me it was a 10-8 and it was a fix etc. When asked why the answer were ludicrous. Most people are saying it, just to say it. They aren't basing it on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Mellor wrote: »
    Significant strikes were 49 to 26 in the third. The largest differential of any round. But as big as you suggested above. I agree that it was a clear cut Diaz round. But I can't see a 10-8 tbh.

What justification for a 10-8 are you referring to? Specifically what aspect make it a 10-8 for you.

I've had a few lads tell me it was a 10-8 and it was a fix etc. When asked why the answer were ludicrous.

Agreed if that's a 10-8 round then 1 and 2 are for mcgregor he had diaz down 3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Agreed if that's a 10-8 round then 1 and 2 are for mcgregor he had diaz down 3 times
    Not round 2 due to how Nate comes back but definitely round 1, if round 3 is 10-8 Diaz then round 1 is 10-8 Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Not round 2 due to how Nate comes back but definitely round 1, if round 3 is 10-8 Diaz then round 1 is 10-8 Conor.
    None of those rounds are 10-8s though. There was no 10-8 in that fight.
    Not based on how MMA fights are scored.

The closest round was the 5th. It was closer to a 10-10 than any other round was to a 10-8. Based on the fact that Conor was shading that round until the takedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Mellor wrote: »
    None of those rounds are 10-8s though. There was no 10-8 in that fight.
    Not based on how MMA fights are scored.

The closest round was the 5th. It was closer to a 10-10 than any other round was to a 10-8. Based on the fact that Conor was shading that round until the takedown.
    Yes, I am aware of that. I was saying that if round 3 (as some people seem to think) was a 10-8 round for Diaz, then by that extension, round 1 was a 10-8 to Conor. It was all 10-9 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

pone2012 wrote:

In no way was that a 10 8 round. I'm not sure if you have rewatched it or not but that round shouldn't (and wasn't by two judges) be scored a 10 8. Don't be blinded by a flurry. The rest of the round was close and Conor had his wits about him during that flurry. He was still dodging and trying to clinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Slow motion montage of the main card fights, Cerrone's accuracy is something to behold

Advertisement