Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jones 19 wrote: »
    Stand up for Nate Diaz !

Brains off... For nate Diaz!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Michelle Smith is one of our own.
    Should we still support her keeping her medals?
    Why wouldn't she keep her olympic medals?
    They won't strip her if she didn't fail a test during Atlanta.
    I'm sorry, but telling people they should be supporting McGregor because he's Irish is total bull****. Some people don't like him, end of.

Agree, its nonsense to suggest that people must support him because he is irish. Especially if they've no interest in the sport.

But someone wandering in supporting Nathan Diaz , insisting they've always been fans of his, despite never mentioned him or posting in the MMA forum prior to 196...that's equally nonsense too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

Diaz via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    Why wouldn't she keep her olympic medals?
    They won't strip her if she didn't fail a test during Atlanta.

Agree, its nonsense to suggest that people must support him because he is irish. Especially if they've no interest in the sport.

But someone wandering in supporting Nathan Diaz , insisting they've always been fans of his, despite never mentioned him or posting in the MMA forum prior to 196...that's equally nonsense too imo.

I'm a new fan of Diaz, since 196, because he beat mc Gregor, im Irish and I never liked mc Gregor, what's there to like? 'oh he's made so much money bla bla bla' is that most people's reason for being obsessed with him ? He's an ignorant annoying bling merchant and I'm a fan of Diaz because he seems an ordinary guy, who wears t- shirts and doesn't boast about how much he loves money.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I was never a big fan of McGregor, I'm a boxing fan so I always enjoyed the gentlemen's approach to contact sport, but over the years I can't help but like McGregor, especially when he intentionally keeps on annoying people. I love it. People get so wound up by what he says and does, and that gives him more power. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mellor wrote: »

Is there a grace period on when to talk about fighters once you join boards?
    Anyone who is a fan of Nate were undoubtedly happy to see his whole potential reached in the build up & at 196. Sucked it was against Conor but as a fan of fighting it was nice to see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

I'm a new fan of Diaz, since 196, because he beat mc Gregor, im Irish and I never liked mc Gregor, what's there to like? 'oh he's made so much money bla bla bla' is that most people's reason for being obsessed with him ? He's an ignorant annoying bling merchant and I'm a fan of Diaz because he seems an ordinary guy, who wears t- shirts and doesn't boast about how much he loves money.

With respect, I think you are mistaking Conor McGregor 'the MMA fighter' for Conor McGregor the man. Not every MMA fighter feels the need to take on a persona, granted, but it is quite clear to anyone that has followed Conor's fight career, that he has. Even Nate knows Conor is just 'doing his thing'. His 'The King is here' thread on this forum was probably where he indulged in all that stuff for the first time. I know he had made a few call outs from the cage previously but they were just small soundbites in comparison. Interestingly, he had no belts at that stage but yet just over a year later he had two of them and was making enough noise that shortly after that White/Silva were hearing about him and ultimately signed him. Not suggesting his mouth won him those fights but it for sure played a part in him getting them.

You say Nate is just an ordinary guy who wears t-shirts and stuff and that just again shows that you are misunderstanding what he is doing. For a start Conor often is just wearing t-shirts. The night of the Ward/Joao fight he wore one, was in a vest when he famously went into that fan's apartment in Vegas and at the meet up with Dana in LA a month back I'm pretty sure he strolled in there wearing a t-shirt. So it's really just about the three piece suits worn at pressers and on chat shows and the like, right? But that's just always been about him creating an image. An notorious image.

I can see how some of what he is says during fight promotion can come across as obnoxious (when taken out of context) but that's just the nature of trash talk. Maybe it's just me but I never get the impression that there was any real venom in what he says. Perhaps about Aldo there was but otherwise it all just seems like attempts to get up people's noses. If Conor had just spoke quietly during the Brimage fight pressers and subsequent interviews, would he have generated as much interest? Would he have got the black-out treatment against Holloway? Would Ireland, much less America, have taken as much interest in him as they did? I sincerely doubt it. It's all a means to an end. Any videos online that I have seen of Conor, be it Irish lads following him to Iceland, fans approaching him on the street or in airports etc, he always comes across as being respectful and happy to give people his time.

In short: I really don't get why a fair old chunk of Irish people don't like Conor to the degree that they appear to. Makes no sense to me. Totally understand people being fans of Nate of course, I am myself given how he comes across as so genuine and is also fully deserving of now finally making the kind of money which he is (and especially so after those comments Dana made about him not being a needle mover). However, I'm hearing all over the place from Irish people saying they hope he loses again and I just don't get that at all. At the end of the day he won his fights through hard graft and dedication. Packed in his job and through sheer will and determination realized his goals, or at least some of them. How any Irish person can wish a loss on him at this stage of his career is unfathomable to me. To paraphrase Kevin Keegan: I will love it if McGregor beats Nate! LOVE IT!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I worry for you Cathy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Cathy.C wrote: »
    With respect, I think you are mistaking Conor McGregor 'the MMA fighter' for Conor McGregor the man. Not every MMA fighter feels the need to take on a persona, granted, but it is quite clear to anyone that has followed Conor's fight career, that he has. Even Nate knows Conor is just 'doing his thing'. His 'The King is here' thread on this forum was probably where he indulged in all that stuff for the first time. I know he had made a few call outs from the cage previously but they were just small soundbites in comparison. Interestingly, he had no belts at that stage but yet just over a year later he had two of them and was making enough noise that shortly after that White/Silva were hearing about him and ultimately signed him. Not suggesting his mouth won him those fights but it for sure played a part in him getting them.

You say Nate is just an ordinary guy who wears t-shirts and stuff and that just again shows that you are misunderstanding what he is doing. For a start Conor often is just wearing t-shirts. The night of the Ward/Joao fight he wore one, was in a vest when he famously went into that fan's apartment in Vegas and at the meet up with Dana in LA a month back I'm pretty sure he strolled in there wearing a t-shirt. So it's really just about the three piece suits worn at pressers and on chat shows and the like, right? But that's just always been about him creating an image. An notorious image.

I can see how some of what he is says during fight promotion can come across as obnoxious (when taken out of context) but that's just the nature of trash talk. Maybe it's just me but I never get the impression that there was any real venom in what he says. Perhaps about Aldo there was but otherwise it all just seems like attempts to get up people's noses. If Conor had just spoke quietly during the Brimage fight pressers and subsequent interviews, would he have generated as much interest? Would he have got the black-out treatment against Holloway? Would Ireland, much less America, have taken as much interest in him as they did? I sincerely doubt it. It's all a means to an end. Any videos online that I have seen of Conor, be it Irish lads following him to Iceland, fans approaching him on the street or in airports etc, he always comes across as being respectful and happy to give people his time.

In short: I really don't get why a fair old chunk of Irish people don't like Conor to the degree that they appear to. Makes no sense to me. Totally understand people being fans of Nate of course, I am myself given how he comes across as so genuine and is also fully deserving of now finally making the kind of money which he is (and especially so after those comments Dana made about him not being a needle mover). However, I'm hearing all over the place from Irish people saying they hope he loses again and I just don't get that at all. At the end of the day he won his fights through hard graft and dedication. Packed in his job and through sheer will and determination realized his goals, or at least some of them. How any Irish person can wish a loss on him at this stage of his career is unfathomable to me. To paraphrase Kevin Keegan: I will love it if McGregor beats Nate! LOVE IT!!
    Im sorry but this has never been more apt;

ydReeLN.gif

McGregor via Submission
    So you are supporting him because you dislike McGregor but know little about Diaz. That's fine if you're honest about it, and you aren't dressing it as if your a lifelong Diaz fan, like others.

FYI, the Diaz brothers have complained money for years. For a while it was literally all they talked about, well that and weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Personally I like mcgregor and will cheer for him every fight but I get it tho mcgregor is easily dislikeable and I find the argument that it's a patriotic duty to support him a bit ludicrous

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Is there a grace period on when to talk about fighters once you join boards?
    Anyone who is a fan of Nate were undoubtedly happy to see his whole potential reached in the build up & at 196. Sucked it was against Conor but as a fan of fighting it was nice to see it

Where did I mention anything about people joining boards? McGregor has brother has dreams offer fans to the sport, on both sides, in recent years. That's obviously fine.
    Im talking about people who been around for years with no interest in the sport or the forum, or McGregor for that matter. Then suddenly appearing and pretending they've been massive fans all along, as they quote snippets from his wiki page. At best it's a poor effort at trolling, at worst it's probably some deep rooted issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Faugheen wrote:
    How? She's 'one of our own'.

Because she cheated.
    jones 19 wrote:

He's a proud Irishman standing tall and loud on the international stage, at the top of a very competitive sport. Not often we get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    I worry for you Cathy.

Is she the new you?

John_D80 wrote:
    Is she the new you?

Harsh :-)

jcd5971 wrote:
    Personally I like mcgregor and will cheer for him every fight but I get it tho mcgregor is easily dislikeable and I find the argument that it's a patriotic duty to support him a bit ludicrous

Would you have any issue with someone supporting another country against Ireland in football?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

froog wrote: »
    Would you have any issue with someone supporting another country against Ireland in football?

I know people who do. 'England B Team' and all that, and it's a legitimate reason not to like them in my opinion.

It's not the view I have, however. By that argument, all Brits (or Irish if you want to go by what he says) should support Tyson Fury when in reality most can't even stand him.

Faugheen wrote:
    It's not the view I have, however. By that argument, all Brits (or Irish if you want to go by what he says) should support Tyson Fury when in reality most can't even stand him.

Mod:Don't post that kind of stuff again or you will be out of here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    Folks this is a thread about UFC 202 McGregor vs Diaz. Posts about race and religion etc wont be tolerated. Follow and support whoever you like but come on here just to troll about it and you will be shown the door..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    Are the prelims on fight pass of just the early prelims?

I don't want to switch to BT until I have to...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Are the prelims on fight pass of just the early prelims?

I don't want to switch to BT until I have to...

You'll get everything except the main card via Fight Pass.

• Advertisement

froog wrote:

Not a similar comparison mcgregor is not Ireland he is an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Cathy.C wrote:

Snooze fest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

How? She's 'one of our own'.

Originally, a poster said 'were you supporting France against Ireland?' so because someone doesn't like Conor McGregor, they're anti-Irish. F*ck that.

I'm sorry, but telling people they should be supporting McGregor because he's Irish is total bull****. Some people don't like him, end of.

The sooner people accept that and stop this rubbish of 'were you supporting France against Ireland?' and everything else, the better.

If someone's going to post something ridiculous, they're going to get an even more ridiculous answer.

One took drugs to help their achievements the other one didn't.

So it's a silly comparison.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Not a similar comparison mcgregor is not Ireland he is an individual.

the ireland football team is not ireland. just a collection of individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

Diaz via Submission
    the ireland football team is not ireland. just a collection of individuals.

And they are not a team of annoying bastids.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

Its going to be a good fight, But i think the fact Diaz will have a full camp behind him will make a much bigger difference. He took mcgregor out with only 11 days notice. Not to say mcgregor is bad or not it with a chance its just I think Diaz at that weight will take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't think that's a great comparison to be honest. I like McGregor, but the Irish football team is the official team representing the Republic of Ireland on behalf of it's people. McGregor is Irish and very proud of it, but he is not an official entity representing Ireland. I have a feeling for example that if MMA were put in the next Olympics and he competed, a good few Irish that hate the guy would get behind him, even if begrudgingly.

For example, did you buy every B*witched and Boyzone album and single to come out in the 90s, and show support for them at their concerts and public appearances? I mean, they are Irish and both made points of being quite proud of it if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Dong Hyun Kim out of Magny fight with an injury. New opponent being looked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JokerD wrote: »
    Dong Hyun Kim out of Magny fight with an injury. New opponent being looked for.

Gunnar would slot in nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Really hope this happens!!

Advertisement