Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I root for McGregor. I'm a "layman" just like to watch the fights.

Is there an air of uneasiness that his excellent ability to cut weight to dominate at 145 was his trump card?

That was always something I wanted to see, him in against people of equal height (at least) and a heavier weight. Go a few rounds and see how it pans out. It's exciting but I do feel quietly people are kind of worried the McGregor show is about to hit a brick wall.

I suppose he has a few other weight classes to fall back on if this is a bridge too far?

That being said I do hope he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    EL_Loco wrote: »
    I root for McGregor. I'm a "layman" just like to watch the fights.

Is there an air of uneasiness that his excellent ability to cut weight to dominate at 145 was his trump card?

That was always something I wanted to see, him in against people of equal height (at least) and a heavier weight. Go a few rounds and see how it pans out. It's exciting but I do feel quietly people are kind of worried the McGregor show is about to hit a brick wall.

I suppose he has a few other weight classes to fall back on if this is a bridge too far?

That being said I do hope he wins.

Well, Nate is 6'0 and Conor is 5'9 so he's certainly not going in against an equal in terms of weight/height. Nate walks around about 180-185lbs, and weighs close to 180lbs on fight night. Conors walking weight is about 165-170lbs. So he's giving up basically 4 inches height and a stone in weight.

Conor's definitely huge for featherweight and it's definitely an advantage to have height and reach on smaller opponents.

That being said he did fight Max Holloway at FW who is 5'11 and he had a comfortable win despite being injured.

In short, you're right - that's the huge question mark people have against him.

I don't think he'll ever seriously compete or challenge at 170lbs. Guys like Robbie Lawler walk around at 190lbs.

I really don't think he can seriously hope to compete with guys 2 stone heavier and 6 inches taller.

145 and 155lb divisions he's got a pretty good opportunity at achieving belts in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    What part of the analysis do you disagree with?

Ok then...
    The current odds are 4/5 McG, Evens Nate.

Now, IMO, if Conor was willing to fight a boring fight he'd be something like 1/10 favourite.
    There's no way any bookie ever makes this him a 1/10 fav. If you think that, you don't understand how odds work. The corresponding 7/1 on Nate would be crazy value.

Conor may be able to win. But there's no way Conor can do anything to make him self a 90+% favourite. If he could, he would. That's what being a better fighter is about.
    He could, very easily, fight a boring decision win by utilising those tools - focusing on legs kicks, counter-punching, circling and staying largely out of the pocket.
    If Conor does that to Nate, there is no way it would be boring.

Regardless, Conor, like every fighter, would rather win a boring fight than lose an exciting one.
    He dominated Round 1, and was well on top Round 2.
    He won round 1. But it was domination, it wasn't a 10-8.
    He was losing Rd before the final exchange.
    He could have easily seen the round out by circling and getting on his bike.
    Trying to do that would have been the better option, but he felt backed into a corner. Hindsight and analysis are benefits he didn't have.
    As for the ground game, i really don't think you can accurately say Nate is infinitely superior on the ground.

For sure, Nate is a black belt and Conor is a brown belt, so it's fair to assume he's superior. On the other hand, both Gunnar Nelson and Dillon Danis have said Conor is very competitive against black belts.
    Infinitely is hyperbole, but Nateis a better at Jiu Jitsu. That's not an assumption.
    The fact he is competitive with black belts means little. I'd expect most good brown belts (especially pro athletes) to be competitive with black belts.

The best brown belt are better than the average black belt, in terms of fighting ability.
    Also in Round 1, Conor won the only jiu jitsu exchange when he used the X-Guard sweep to assume top control.
    He didn't assume top control, he ended up in guard.
    When Conor signed for Nate 11 days from the fight, he weighed 161lbs the day he signed (multiple sources).

So he had 11 days to GAIN 9 lbs to make championship weight of 170. Even then he weighed in at 168.

Source for this, as I don't believe it.
    There's no way he was cutting 6 lbs for a LW fight. He weighs more than 161 for FW fights.
    Every fight of his career up to Nate was the complete opposite. Fight week was about cardio, minimal food, shedding weight etc.

It can't be easy for any fighter to eat up to a weight after going through 75% of a weight cut. Mentally, as much as anything, you have to switch focus completely from eating little/running a lot to eating a lot/running a little.
    11 days out he hadn't started his weight cut.
    Running, dieting, getting lean is getting in fight shape. The weight cut starts a week out. And there is no way he was 161lbs prior to cutting.
    He was at least 165lbs for his 3 FW fights in 2015.
    And, if Coach Kavanagh is to be believed, his current VO2 Max is higher currently than ever. Which is a scary thought.
    Unreliable source tbf.

No doubt he can be better prepared for 170 this time. But you are overtstating the weight he put on.
    Nate has very little to offer. He's not a KO-artist. He's taller, for sure, has the reach, for sure, but that wasn't enough for most of the first fight. It's also not something that stopped Conor before, people tend to forget how tall Max Holloway is and Conor comfortably dealt with the height/reach there when his cardio was good.
    Nate is better than Max. A lot better.
    Nate's not a wrestler and most of his UFC submissions are from gassed fighters taking Nate to the ground. I don't see him even getting Conor to the ground once in the next fight. Conors takedown defences are slated due to the Mendes fight but being realistic that was because he gave Mendes zero respect.
    Mendes took him down because he has better wrestling.
    Regardless of Conor's respect for his ability, he didn't want to spend two rounds on the bottom.
    As for his ability to absorb strikes...he has a granite chin. The combo Nate landed would drop most lightweights and even welterweights. He landed absolutely flush on the chin and Conor took 2 steps back, a deep breath and threw back.
    That applies to Nate twice as much. He took Conor best shots and lasted.

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »

Ok first of all

"Max is the same height as Conor with longer reach"

This is just flat out incorrect.

Conor is 5'9.
    Max is 5'11.

Nate is 2 inches taller than Max.

That's not in dispute by any source - whether its ufc, sherdog, mmafighting,mmajunkie....

And if you watch their fight, you'll see he's clearly 2 inches taller even from the pre-fight touch glove.

As for the rest of your post.....

"he had no need to eat up all he had to weigh was 155+"

Yeah that's factually true.

Practically ridiculous though.

If you're suggesting he sat pretty at 161lbs to fight a guy who'd be entering the octagon at 180+ as a smart idea, then you're wrong.

He had to get closer to the weight for plenty of reasons.

Yeah, Kavanagh might lie.

But George Lockhart said on a podcast they had Conors weight cut well in motion and he was down to circa 160lbs 11 days out.

I believe him, he's no reason to lie and it's his professional integrity at stake.

Nate is superior at BJJ. I never said he wasn't. I said there's no reason to believe he's infinitely superior and that Conor came out on top in their BJJ exchange in Round 1.

Not sure what fight you watched but Nate didn't take Conor down at ease in Round 1. Whatsoever.

Conor ended up on top the one time they went to the ground when he swept him too.

Yeah, he missed a lot in Round 1 and gassed in Round 2. Agree. Due to the weight mismanagement.

• Advertisement

Diaz via Submission

McGregor via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    Ok then...

There's no way any bookie ever makes this him a 1/10 fav. If you think that, you don't understand how odds work. The corresponding 7/1 on Nate would be crazy value.

Conor may be able to win. But there's no way Conor can do anything to make him self a 90+% favourite. If he could, he would. That's what being a better fighter is about.

If Conor does that to Nate, there is no way it would be boring.

Regardless, Conor, like every fighter, would rather win a boring fight than lose an exciting one.

He won round 1. But it was domination, it wasn't a 10-8.
    He was losing Rd before the final exchange.

Trying to do that would have been the better option, but he felt backed into a corner. Hindsight and analysis are benefits he didn't have.

Infinitely is hyperbole, but Nateis a better at Jiu Jitsu. That's not an assumption.
    The fact he is competitive with black belts means little. I'd expect most good brown belts (especially pro athletes) to be competitive with black belts.

The best brown belt are better than the average black belt, in terms of fighting ability.

He didn't assume top control, he ended up in guard.

Source for this, as I don't believe it.
    There's no way he was cutting 6 lbs for a LW fight. He weighs more than 161 for FW fights.

11 days out he hadn't started his weight cut.
    Running, dieting, getting lean is getting in fight shape. The weight cut starts a week out. And there is no way he was 161lbs prior to cutting.
    He was at least 165lbs for his 3 FW fights in 2015.

Unreliable source tbf.

No doubt he can be better prepared for 170 this time. But you are overtstating the weight he put on.

Nate is better than Max. A lot better.

Mendes took him down because he has better wrestling.
    Regardless of Conor's respect for his ability, he didn't want to spend two rounds on the bottom.

That applies to Nate twice as much. He took Conor best shots and lasted.

1. I understand betting pretty well. No bookie would ever have Conor 1/10 shot no. But i'm sure you've often heard a racing pundit say "if the ground was soft he'd be 1/6" - when on the book the horse is actually 4/7 on good to firm.

It's just a mental assessment of what you feel the chances are of something. It's an expression. It's value. If you think in your mind something is 1/5 and you're getting 2/5 then the only odds that matter are 2/5.

2. And this is probably key.

Conor has built his image, fame and psyche around the Mystic Mac persona. He's got too much mentally invested and too much out there to back down from it. Winning is important but the manner in which he wins is almost as important if he wants to maintain any sort of credibility, even after a loss.

He'll be pushed into a prediction, again, he'll pick a Round and he'll base his whole fight around trying to achieve it.

It's a potential huge flaw in his game but i firmly believe he's too far entrenched into that mentality and mystique now to just settle to fight out a boring decision.

It's also why, imo, he punched himself out in the first fight looking to live up to his predictions.

3. Lockhart on a podcast said they were managing Conors weight differently and that he was down to close to 160lbs.

If he lied, fair enough. Don't see why though.

4. Nates better at BJJ yes. Infinitely better was my wording and Conor showed enough with the X Guard sweep in Round 1 to show he's not a complete numpty or outclassed entirely.

Working closely with Gunnar and Dillon can't hurt. Whatsoever.

5. Nate has a granite chin. I didn't suggest he'll be knocked out next time.

6. Ps. Round 1 was a clear 10-9. For "dominated" = "bested". It's a word.

McGregor via Submission

both images misrepresentative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Evgg0YgME

18:35 when they stand beside each other.

Max is 2 inches taller.

The pictures you provided are not the lads standing straight and the 2nd pic is ridiculously misleading due to camera angle (the black security guard in background looks same height at Nate in pic - in reality he's 8 inches taller than Nate!!!)

Anyway this is a moot point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    diaz is like 3 feet closer to the camera aswel c'mon now

Diaz via Submission

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Depp wrote: »
    diaz is like 3 feet closer to the camera aswel c'mon now

yep.... silly photo to prove a point when it makes Diaz look same height as black security fella who is 6'8 a full 8 inches taller.

Depth and perception 2 words that come to mind.

McGregor via Submission

Agreed.

I wasn't arguing he does.

I was saying Conor has faced taller opponents and fared well when cardio on point.

Diaz via Submission

McGregor via Submission

Ok.

And Conors overhand left did land a fair amount in the first fight.

He just missed with far too many and was rather one dimensionally reliant on it.

He abandoned a smarter game plan (leg kicks, body work) basically because a) he was seeing the damage the left was doing and b) wanted to live up to his prediction.

I just feel he's smart enough and good enough to fix the issues.

And yeah Nate won't be preparing for this fight in Cabo this time.

It's gonna be interesting but i feel Conor has all the tools to comfortably win the fight.

Whether that's decision or KO/TKO in the middle rounds we'll see.

He has a lot to prove if it goes to the Championship rounds and i'm backing him to come through and answer the question.

McGregor via Submission
    Jesus silly season has begun. The new king fanboy has arrived.

Incidentally, one more on this.....

This is the sort of childish post/mentality that dissuades people from posting in here.

If you "defend" McGregor - i.e. argue a case for his talents as a martial artist...

You're sneered at and labelled a "fanboy".

If people want to scoff at his ability and believe he's an over-rated, hype-machine, gifted an easy path to the FW title through Denis Siver, Chad Mendes to get to Aldo fair enough.

If people want to say it was a lucky punch and Aldo will destroy him next time, fair enough.

If people aren't buying his excuses for the Diaz loss, fair enough.

But being condescending and insulting people for taking a positive view of McGregors skillset and talent isn't helping anyone.

It's that attitude that makes people not want to post in here.

I posted in here because i thought i'd get some engaging debate (and so far, i have, with good points raised by Mellor and Darced and i've tried to counter them and engage).

Posts like yours don't help anyone.

McGregor via Submission
    If you "defend" McGregor - i.e. argue a case for his talents as a martial artist...
    It was more the hyperbole that got you that reaction.
    I'm team-Conor, I've defended his grappling in the past. Largely from the "white-belt jiu-jitsu" brigade. But I don't think I've ever been labeled a fan-boy (although maybe I missed it). There's a difference between backing someone's abilities and an extremely bias viewpoint. And that goes for both extremes.

Anyone that thinks this is an easy fight for either of them wasn't paying attention in the last one imo.

That said, it's a discussion forum. Actually discussion is always welcome, and much better the shite that will be rolling in next month.
    1. I understand betting pretty well. No bookie would ever have Conor 1/10 shot no. But i'm sure you've often heard a racing pundit say "if the ground was soft he'd be 1/6" - when on the book the horse is actually 4/7 on good to firm.
    I have heard that expression in a racing. But the ground affets the outcome of a race.
    Conor should never be a 1/10 favourite here, no matter what the weather is like outside ;)
    Conor has built his image, fame and psyche around the Mystic Mac persona. He's got too much mentally invested and too much out there to back down from it. Winning is important but the manner in which he wins is almost as important if he wants to maintain any sort of credibility, even after a loss.

He'll be pushed into a prediction, again, he'll pick a Round and he'll base his whole fight around trying to achieve it.
    No doubt Conor enjoyed the success of his predictions. I honestly don't believe that he goes out of his way to realise them. He finished Chad in the 2nd because that's when the opportunity presented it's self. He finished Aldo because that's when Aldo went down.

I think he was loading up on Nate because after a minute or two he realised that Nate hits a hell of a lot harder than Chad, Siver or Porrier.
    3. Lockhart on a podcast said they were managing Conors weight differently and that he was down to close to 160lbs.

If he lied, fair enough. Don't see why though.

Do you have a link for that?
    As it would have been an awful approach to making his UFC LW debut.

However, George Lockhart was also working with Dos Anjos in the lead up to 196. So maybe he was playing saboteur.

4. Nates better at BJJ yes. Infinitely better was my wording and Conor showed enough with the X Guard sweep in Round 1 to show he's not a complete numpty or outclassed entirely.

Working closely with Gunnar and Dillon can't hurt. Whatsoever.
    As I said, infinitely can't be taken at face value, ever.
    But Nate is solid solid black belt.
    Conor is a solid Brown belt.

There is a clear divide.
    6. Ps. Round 1 was a clear 10-9. For "dominated" = "bested". It's a word.
    I aware dominated is a word. What else would it be? :confused:

Dominated doesn't equal bested. By any definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Well that escalated quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

2. And this is probably key.

It's a potential huge flaw in his game but i firmly believe he's too far entrenched into that mentality and mystique now to just settle to fight out a boring decision.

It's also why, imo, he punched himself out in the first fight looking to live up to his predictions.

This is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Conor vs Max Vs Nate Vs Security guard......who is the tallest?

This is about my confusion level on the subject after reading the posts ;)

ardal-2.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    Constructive......

How about replying as to the merits of the post?

What part of the analysis do you disagree with?

Fair enough, it was a post that added nothing and was kind of a dick move so I'll give a proper rebuttal instead.
    The current odds are 4/5 McG, Evens Nate.

Now, IMO, if Conor was willing to fight a boring fight he'd be something like 1/10 favourite.

His movement, footwork, speed, agility are all light years ahead of Nate.

The current odds are only favouring Conor because that is who people are backing with most of their money, because he's the better known fighter to casual fans and people who don't actually know or care about MMA. The reality is that most knowledgeable people have Diaz as favourite and rightly so.

He could, very easily, fight a boring decision win by utilising those tools - focusing on legs kicks, counter-punching, circling and staying largely out of the pocket.

Given he has built his name and career on bravado, he won't do this.

Given the fact that's Nate's boxing is better than Conor's, he throws better combinations, has faster hand speed and he has a nasty jab on top of a height and reach advantage, the idea that Conor can hit him without entering the pocket is flawed at best.

As for leg kicks, the area where Nate has struggled before, he's struggled against people like Dos Anjos who throw leg kicks with murderous intent. Conor doesn't have those kicks in his locker, he's never used his kicking for anything other than maintaining distance.

So we're down to what he WILL do.

He will move forward, he will be the aggressor, he will take the fight to Nate, he will keep his hands low as normal.

Worked great for him the first time, huh?
    And for most of the first fight even that was dominating.

He dominated Round 1, and was well on top Round 2.

Over-confidence and then panic set in.

He started over confidently, it didn't set in, he thought he could just walk Nate down and knock him out, instead he threw everything he had at Nate and couldn't put him away.
    He opened an old scar over Nate's eye, so people think he had Nate in trouble, but he didn't. Nate cuts, a lot, and still beats the ever living jesus out of people.

Watch the round again, by half way through the first round Conor was swinging at air and Nate was already landing his jab and the check left hook. With 57 seconds left he landed a heavy jab - left cross combo and hurt Conor.

Conor missed A LOT, he spammed the lead upercut at nothing, threw stupid wheel kicks at thin air and subsequently blew his load and was sucking air walking back to his stool at the end of the first round while barely winning the round.

Then the second round started, Nate found his range, started picking him apart with his jab, open palm slapping him in every other exchange and started landing combos.
    Even after Nate landed the combo, which clearly wobbled Conor, he regained enough composure against the fence.

He could have easily seen the round out by circling and getting on his bike.

Alas, as he said, he was knackered and panicked.

Nate landed the straight left at the end of a back and forth exchange that knocked Conor back on his heels and then followed it up with a boxing clinic.

Conor didn't shoot the worlds worst double leg because he thought he could actually do anything with it, he knew there was no way of making it to the end of the round standing and decided that instead of getting knocked out he'd try and stall on the ground.

Then Nate sprawled, caught a guillotine, trapped Conor's right leg preventing the flop, swept Conor, took side control, mounted him like they'd met at 4am outside Coppers, beat him up and the Conor said "**** this" and gave him his back because being choked out is a lot less hurt than getting smashed from mount.
    As for the ground game, i really don't think you can accurately say Nate is infinitely superior on the ground.

For sure, Nate is a black belt and Conor is a brown belt, so it's fair to assume he's superior. On the other hand, both Gunnar Nelson and Dillon Danis have said Conor is very competitive against black belts.

Also in Round 1, Conor won the only jiu jitsu exchange when he used the X-Guard sweep to assume top control.

You can't really read much into what happened at the end of Round 2 because he was running on fumes.[/QUOTE]

As has been said, I'd expect a brown belt to be competitive against black belts. Eddie Bravo faught at ADCC as a brown belt. Several competitors at EBI have been brown belts. But competitive doesn't mean matching, it means doing enough to make it interesting, Conor's not going to be winning any tournaments at a high level any time soon.
    Nate is a Caesar Gracie black belt who has beaten the likes of Ryan Hall in competition.

Conor's sweep wasn't really that impressive, Nate was looking for a guard pull, got the guard pull, immediately went looking for a high guard because his game off his back is nasty and controlled Conor's ability to hit him so much that Conor landed 2 strikes from nates guard until Nate switched to an inverted closed guard and landed a hammer fist right on Conor's chin as the bell went.
    The biggest factor in the first fight was the weight.

When Conor signed for Nate 11 days from the fight, he weighed 161lbs the day he signed (multiple sources).

So he had 11 days to GAIN 9 lbs to make championship weight of 170. Even then he weighed in at 168.

Every fight of his career up to Nate was the complete opposite. Fight week was about cardio, minimal food, shedding weight etc.

It can't be easy for any fighter to eat up to a weight after going through 75% of a weight cut. Mentally, as much as anything, you have to switch focus completely from eating little/running a lot to eating a lot/running a little. That's a very unique circumstance for a fighter and one will never be repeated.

Conor walks around, on an average day, at 170+. There's no way in hell he was 161lbs 11 days out from a fight at 155, that's ridiculous, he weighs more than that when he cuts to 145 for gods sake.
    I haven't seen a single person claim that weight. Lockhart and Kavanagh was telling people he was 176 a week before weigh ins for 196.

The circumstances this time are wildly different.

He has 3 months to make weight in a balanced way while maintaining his cardio. Working closely with nutrionists as good as George Lockhart, working with the Irish Strength Institute guys, working with specialists.

Remember, his VO2 Max levels circa 2014 were incredible and comparable to top soccer players.

That went by the wayside for the Nate fight due to the crash-weight gain.

He will likely tip the scales at 168 again but it'll be a vastly different way of getting there.

Instead of stuffing his face with cheesecake, steaks and donuts he's having 3 months of proper nutrition and calories to ensure he makes weight with his cardio high.

Cardio, IMO, was the main factor in the first fight.

Conor is a high output fighter, if you take out someone like Diego Sanchez from the mix, he's amongst the highest output fighters of all time.

He comes out hard and fast.

I believe he can maintain that output for 5 rounds, if necessary, when he makes the weight correctly.

And, if Coach Kavanagh is to be believed, his current VO2 Max is higher currently than ever. Which is a scary thought.

Conor can do nothing but Cardio from now until fight week if he wants, he's still not going to be on Nate's level cardio wise, ever. Nate is an endurance athlete for fun, Conor spends his time playing touch butt with that dork in the park.
    Nate has very little to offer. He's not a KO-artist. He's taller, for sure, has the reach, for sure, but that wasn't enough for most of the first fight. It's also not something that stopped Conor before, people tend to forget how tall Max Holloway is and Conor comfortably dealt with the height/reach there when his cardio was good.

Nate's not a wrestler and most of his UFC submissions are from gassed fighters taking Nate to the ground. I don't see him even getting Conor to the ground once in the next fight. Conors takedown defences are slated due to the Mendes fight but being realistic that was because he gave Mendes zero respect.

I feel Conor is the vastly superior fighter and will thoroughly dominate the rematch from start to end now he has time to make weight professionally.

Nate has a lot to offer. Elite level boxing, world class BJJ and one of the best cardio outputs MMA has ever seen. He's not a knock out artist because of the very reason you say, he beats the snot out of people and they panic wrestle him and get submitted on the ground. They aren't "gassed fighters" they are people that realise that if they try stand with him any longer they are getting KO'd and pick the easier option, just like Conor did, and beg to be tapped instead of taking more punishment.
    As for his ability to absorb strikes...he has a granite chin. The combo Nate landed would drop most lightweights and even welterweights. He landed absolutely flush on the chin and Conor took 2 steps back, a deep breath and threw back.

Conor was on queer-street heading to a knockout and a medical suspension when Nate mercifully chose to choke him out instead of flattening him out and as Robbie Lawlor put it "take his soul".

conversely, Michael Johnson and Donald Cerrone took the same beating for 3 rounds and didn't get knocked out, so there must be some structural flaws in Conor's granite chin somewhere, because Nate found them.
    It's a fight so anything can happen....but for gambling purposes i'd put the house and the grannys house on Conor to win. He's too fast, too mobile, too agile and even given the horrendous buildup to the first fight, he had Nate busted up and hitting fresh air with most of his offence.

Those odds are going to end up looking ridiculous once he does win.

Please do, I hope Nate's odds drift and I am actually banking on it and not putting on a bet until fight week in the hope the Conor Delusion spreads far and wide for I can get an even better return on my mahoosive €25 stake.

Hopefully Conor fans backing at stupid odds sends Nate's odds long enough that Conor's accolites will cover a nice steak and cheesecake dinner for me and the lady with my winnings.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Please do, I hope Nate's odds drift and I am actually banking on it and not putting on a bet until fight week in the hope the Conor Delusion spreads far and wide for I can get an even better return on my mahoosive €25 stake.

Hopefully Conor fans backing at stupid odds sends Nate's odds long enough that Conor's accolites will cover a nice steak and cheesecake dinner for me and the lady with my winnings.
    Hus odds might climb up slowly. I'm counting on Nate shortening a few days out. Some pro is bound to drop a huge chunk on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    Hus odds might climb up slowly. I'm counting on Nate shortening a few days out. Some pro is bound to drop a huge chunk on him.

I'll be keeping an eye on the market closer to the fight.
    My stakes are minuscule anyway so it's largely inconsequential.

McGregor via Submission
    I'll be keeping an eye on the market closer to the fight.
    My stakes are minuscule anyway so it's largely inconsequential.

Small difference, but it might get you upgraded to a t-bone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

i'd put the house and the grannys house on Conor to win.
    Why don't you then? :P

That piece deserves a Pulitzer prize....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Diaz via Decision
    Ah balls reading backwards I was hoping someone had McGregor at 1/10, I would have been lumping around 6's on Nate no matter what I think wins.

Other discussion on height the father ted cow in field comes to mind. The level of talk here is mighty !!!

McGregor via Submission
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Other discussion on height the father ted cow in field comes to mind. The level of talk here is mighty !!!
    Beaten to it, ;)
    Devastator wrote: »
    Conor vs Max Vs Nate Vs Security guard......who is the tallest?

This is about my confusion level on the subject after reading the posts ;)

ardal-2.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Beaten to it, ;)

ninja sh.t muthafkas :D

McGregor via Submission

Ok so this might video come across as a biased analysis maybe, but to a large extent it's my line of thinking as well.

I definitely think both fighters will be better prepared this time around, which should give a more accurate assessment over who is the better fighter.

Both have a full camp to train for each other so if McGregor loses again excuses should be pretty thin on the ground (i expect, should he lose, he'll use his 170-Out-Of-Jail-Card).

If, as his supporters believe, that the key issues were the ones outlined in the video above, then there's every reason to believe he will rectify them and come away with a relatively easy win.

McGregor via Submission
    Ush1 wrote: »
    This is spot on.

I really feel the smartest thing McGregor can do is to respond like this when asked for a prediction:

"I predict my hand will be raised after a comprehensive victory".

If he can get into this fight not weighed down by any of this Mystic Mac stuff, it can only benefit him.

If he goes the other way and once again predicts a KO, names a round, names a shot then i feel he's placing himself under un-necessary and self-inflicted pressure.

Side Note - I'm far from convinced over John Kavanaghs ability as a Corner Man, and to extent head coach.

He should have been nowhere near BAMMA 24 late February when his star fighter was a week out from a huge fight.

Showed tremendous complacency in the run up to the fight.

And didn't do enough to get his message across to Conor at the end of Round 1.

Message should have been very simple:

He took some of your best shots and is showing no signs of wobbling. We gotta assume this one is going to the distance.

Instead Conor came straight out throwing bombs and marching Nate down.

Chael Sonnen was right - a coach shouldn't try be the star of the show. Over the last 6 months there's been a discernable trend towards him wanting the limelight.

His reputation as a Head Coach should come under serious scrutiny if Conor suffers a repeat loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I really feel the smartest thing McGregor can do is to respond like this when asked for a prediction:

"I predict my hand will be raised after a comprehensive victory".

If he can get into this fight not weighed down by any of this Mystic Mac stuff, it can only benefit him.

If he goes the other way and once again predicts a KO, names a round, names a shot then i feel he's placing himself under un-necessary and self-inflicted pressure.

Side Note - I'm far from convinced over John Kavanaghs ability as a Corner Man, and to extent head coach.

He should have been nowhere near BAMMA 24 late February when his star fighter was a week out from a huge fight.

Showed tremendous complacency in the run up to the fight.

And didn't do enough to get his message across to Conor at the end of Round 1.

Message should have been very simple:

He took some of your best shots and is showing no signs of wobbling. We gotta assume this one is going to the distance.

Instead Conor came straight out throwing bombs and marching Nate down.

Chael Sonnen was right - a coach shouldn't try be the star of the show. Over the last 6 months there's been a discernable trend towards him wanting the limelight.

His reputation as a Head Coach should come under serious scrutiny if Conor suffers a repeat loss.

That's bs.

Did you not read the audio of the fight?

He was telling conor to stop what he was doing as it wasn't working but conor ignored it.

John has coached a ufc champion all the way.

He has nothing to prove.

Advertisement