Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor's cardio was only an issue when Diaz started finding his rhythm and timing and started catching McGregor ,then all of a sudden his gas started running low because he was getting hurt,
    It the first time we seen Conor get tagged over and over and from a bigger guy,
    Mendes caught him a few time but mostly on the ground and is a small FW,
    Diaz is just a bad match up for Conor and will beat him again ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    Mendes is short, but he's not small. A lot of power in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wailin wrote: »
    He was gassed after 1 round! RDA would have destroyed him.

I agree with Redemption... RDA is far better match up for McGregor than Diaz.

You can't use the Diaz fight as an example.

McGregor's cardio was only an issue when Diaz started finding his rhythm and timing and started catching McGregor ,then all of a sudden his gas started running low because he was getting hurt,
    It the first time we seen Conor get tagged over and over and from a bigger guy,
    Mendes caught him a few time but mostly on the ground and is a small FW,
    Diaz is just a bad match up for Conor and will beat him again ,

I don't recall the fight going like that at all. McGregor was gassed at the end of round 1, but hadn't really been hurt at all at that stage.

McGregor gassed himself by throwing 100% into every shot, trying round house kicks, got fatigued, couldn't suck in enough oxygen, and then ate a big left and that's all she wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Aw man, just watched McGregor V Diaz 1 again and it really was an awesome fight. Just brutal trading of shots and boy did Diaz bleed all over the place!

Really looking forward to the second fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

Diaz via Submission
    I don't think Mc Gregor gased like everyone is saying, sure he was tired a bit , in round 2 watch the fight clock at 3.15, mc Gregor gets a hook into the jaw that's v hard to see, it looks like nothing but his body stance changed after that scuffle, his shape left him, he even threw that awful effort of a bent leg spin kick and his guard dropped and his power was gone, he took a nice few hits. That's about 40 seconds before the 1,2 uniflu that really screwed him, check it out. I think he was rattled before the big rattle.

McGregor via Submission
    jones 19 wrote: »
    I don't think Mc Gregor gased like everyone is saying, sure he was tired a bit , in round 2 watch the fight clock at 3.15, mc Gregor gets a hook into the jaw that's v hard to see, it looks like nothing but his body stance changed after that scuffle, his shape left him, he even threw that awful effort of a bent leg spin kick and his guard dropped and his power was gone, he took a nice few hits. That's about 40 seconds before the 1,2 uniflu that really screwed him, check it out. I think he was rattled before the big rattle.

After the first round he looked way different on the stool than he did in any other fight there was for sure some cardio issue there. Whether cardio was the main issue is the question?

Diaz via Submission
    After the first round he looked way different on the stool than he did in any other fight there was for sure some cardio issue there. Whether cardio was the main issue is the question?

I hear ya, but check it out, 30 seconds before 3.15 and the 30 after. Different person.

McGregor via Submission
    You can certainly see McG tell himself, I'm in trouble here.
    His cardio was ****ed after round one, his trademark strikes were causing superficial damage, and Diaz went into 2nd gear when he sensed McG was panting and throwing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

John_D80 wrote: »

The one before UFC 196, literally 99% of the fighters said McGregor. Funny how opinions shift so rapidly in this sport. I guess it's valid though, we've had 4 different female BW champions in the last 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »

F*ck them, Fairweather B*tches :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I guess it's valid though, we've had 4 different female BW champions in the last 9 months.
    But there was the public preception and the reality that most fighters and fans accepted.

Ronda's striking was not good, crazy to pretend it was elite.
    Holm did great stopping Ronda's throws, but her ground game is a weakness over 5.
    Tate scraped by all the time and is not going to crush the divisions. Only Ronda made her striking look good.

Normally in these big profile event, I expect the odds to swing back too far the other way. Cain v JDS one that springs to mind. I was hoping that the "Fairweather B*tches" :pac: would make the bookies slide too far on Diaz. Doesn't look to be happening yet

jones 19 wrote: »

Yeah, I don't doubt any of that. The question is if he wasn't so gassed would he have gotten so careless in that exchange?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diaz via Decision
    Cardio is funny that way... I've done long distance cycling... anything north of 100km a day and maybe 8 hours solid in the saddle. When I'm fit I can do that and hop off the bike ready for a pint. That's because cyclists train to maintain the highest possible output which does not degrade our ability to continue that level of output. (think about that for a minute).

In real terms, that means I can maintain about 23 KPH all day and all night if need be. But if I push that to say, 28 KPM, I'll be done within an hour maaaaybe 2. If I push that to 32KPH, I'm probably finished in 5-10 minutes.

Same thing with fighting. First time I sparred properly with my trainer, I was all that and a bag of chips. I was Muhammed Ali and Katie Taylors love child. I was all over him.... for the first round. Start of the second round he clinched with me and whispered in my ear "You're about to learn the most important lesson in fighting". We clinched for about 30 seconds more before I gassed. I literally could not raise my arms to the guard position despite the fact that he was (playfully) popping little jabs onto my nose.

Conor blew his gas tank on the first round and by the end of the first minute of the second round he was done. He knew it which is why he went for a take down against a guy who is lethal on the ground. He pushed all in on the first round looking for the knockout. He didn't get it. High risk, high reward strategy which just didn't pay off. He DID get clipped at 3.15 to go in the second but he wasn't wobbling on his legs, he even had a little laugh with Diaz after the subsequent Stockton slap. There isn't a "hook to the head" which can gas you, you do that to yourself (or with repeated body blows especially kicks/knees)

There is a level of output that Conor can maintain all day and all night (or at least for 5 full rounds). The question is: is that enough to contain and out-score Diaz. It quite possibly is because Conor's boxing is much better than (an admittedly very very good) Diaz.

In the next fight watch for two things:
    1. Conor controlling the fight more with his movement (in and out) and possibly some leg kicks to slow Diaz down a bit. And picking his shots much more carefully so that his energy output translates into more damage.

2. Diaz pushing the pace because he now knows he probably has more in the tank than McGregor (Diaz is a tri-athelete... that are the energiser bunnies of athletes).... and/or looking for the take down because he may not want 5 rounds of McGregors stand up and he can end it on the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    The one before UFC 196, literally 99% of the fighters said McGregor. Funny how opinions shift so rapidly in this sport. I guess it's valid though, we've had 4 different female BW champions in the last 9 months.

Any sane person would do that. Peoples opinions SHOULD change on previous, factual events.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

DeVore wrote: »

In real terms, that means I can maintain about 23 KPH all day and all night if need be. But if I push that to say, 28 KPM, I'll be done within an hour maaaaybe 2. If I push that to 32KPH, I'm probably finished in 5-10 minutes.

Same thing with fighting. First time I sparred properly with my trainer, I was all that and a bag of chips. I was Muhammed Ali and Katie Taylors love child. I was all over him.... for the first round. Start of the second round he clinched with me and whispered in my ear "You're about to learn the most important lesson in fighting". We clinched for about 30 seconds more before I gassed. I literally could not raise my arms to the guard position despite the fact that he was (playfully) popping little jabs onto my nose.

Your constant level/temp cycling training doesn't translate to multi level (slow then fast then very fast back to slow) fighting.

The way we used to train for rugby we'd do a lot of running drills but not actually a lot of running time wise. A lot of the running drills would have been interval based so we'd be changing speed the whole time which was much more realistic to a game.

An example being one drill were we'd slow jog from one corner flag across the goal line to the touchline, fast jog up 2/3's the touch line, and then full out sprint diagonally back to the starting corner flag. Take a break for 15 seconds and start it all off again. We'd do that 8 times and be absolutely bollixed at the end, rolling around the ground bollixed.

In total the drill would have been 8 mins maybe and we'd only ran a few kms maybe but was the best type of training for rugby and I'd imagine would translate to fighting too.

McGregor via Submission
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Your constant level/temp cycling training doesn't translate to multi level (slow then fast then very fast back to slow) fighting.
    In total the drill would have been 8 mins maybe and we'd only ran a few kms maybe but was the best type of training for rugby and I'd imagine would translate to fighting too.

Yeah sure, but he was giving an example of how "cardio" ability (that people keep talking about) is completely dependent on output. Not a suggestion of how to prepare for a fight.
    DeVore wrote: »
    That's because cyclists train to maintain the highest possible output which does not degrade our ability to continue that level of output. (think about that for a minute).

Exactly, that's what I keep saying, it's about intensity.

Right now, I could probably an run for an hour or more at a handy pace, say 12km/h. I find running boring, so an hour is he max I would put up with, could probably keep going.
    But last month I ran a 1 mile in 5:27 and was bolloxed. Jelly legged.
    2. Diaz pushing the pace because he now knows he probably has more in the tank than McGregor (Diaz is a tri-athelete... that are the energiser bunnies of athletes)...
    I think the whole Diaz bro tri-athlete thing is really overstated.
    There's a huge difference between a sunday-runner doing a triathalon once a year and a serious triathlete. I've no idea how good they are, maybe they are actually up with the elite, but people give them the credit for it just for turning up.

Somebody posted Nate's times for a recent event in tahoe on reddit (From memory, Kron was fastest, then Nate, then Nick). I've no idea if they were good. Any one here do triathlons and able to translate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    I think the whole Diaz bro tri-athlete thing is really overstated.
    There's a huge difference between a sunday-runner doing a triathalon once a year and a serious triathlete. I've no idea how good they are, maybe they are actually up with the elite, but people give them the credit for it just for turning up.

Somebody posted Nate's times for a recent event in tahoe on reddit (From memory, Kron was fastest, then Nate, then Nick). I've no idea if they were good. Any one here do triathlons and able to translate?

Their times are extremely impressive when you consider that Tahoe is at over 6000 feet at the water level, much higher in the mountains around it. That triathlon is an X-Terra event so the running is on mountain trails and the cycling portion is on a mountain bike.

These aren't local try-a-tri events either, trying to compare them to "sunday runners" is a bit silly.

Diaz via Submission

Conor blew his gas tank on the first round and by the end of the first minute of the second round he was done. He knew it which is why he went for a take down against a guy who is lethal on the ground. He pushed all in on the first round looking for the knockout. He didn't get it. High risk, high reward strategy which just didn't pay off. He DID get clipped at 3.15 to go in the second but he wasn't wobbling on his legs, he even had a little laugh with Diaz after the subsequent Stockton slap. There isn't a "hook to the head" which can gas you, you do that to yourself (or with repeated body blows especially kicks/knees)

It's 3.15 in the second round that Connor takes a hidden punch I'm on about, and his body language changed. He didn't gas and go for the takedown, he got beat up and borderline knocked out. Cashed in on a take down and gave up his back.

Leg kicks are definitely a strategy that works against Diaz. Check out Dos angos and Diaz, Henderson V Diaz fights.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    These aren't local try-a-tri events either, trying to compare them to "sunday runners" is a bit silly.
    When did I comparing them to sunday runners? :confused:
    I specifically said that I have no idea how good their times are.

I was commenting purely on the fact that the media/sherdog constantly goes on as if "running triathlons for fun" = super-cardio, regardless of the actual results.
    I'm saying that you don't get the credit just for turning up, it's the result that matters. Even if their times end up being super elite, that statement is no less true (although in that case the super eliteness stands to them). Im commenting more on the media rather than their actual ability.

Here's the results, as I said I'm no idea how it translates, even before you allow for elevation, off-road, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    Their times are extremely impressive when you consider that Tahoe is at over 6000 feet at the water level, much higher in the mountains around it. That triathlon is an X-Terra event so the running is on mountain trails and the cycling portion is on a mountain bike.

No, completely misinterpreting his post is "a bit silly".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

McGregor via Submission
    Posted this just after the 1st fight, I read somewhere that McGregor had a chest infection leading up to the fight. That would certainly explain why he gassed...

And McGregor Being the one who calls bullsh1te on ''pretend'' injuries etc couldn't have used it to either, pull out or as an excuse when he lost.

Him Gassing does not tally with the vid of him weeks before saying I'm an animal and can go all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

not yet wrote: »
    Posted this just after the 1st fight, I read somewhere that McGregor had a chest infection leading up to the fight. That would certainly explain why he gassed...

And McGregor Being the one who calls bullsh1te on ''pretend'' injuries etc couldn't have used it to either, pull out or as an excuse when he lost.

Him Gassing does not tally with the vid of him weeks before saying I'm an animal and can go all day...

I watched the fight again last night and funny you should say that because I noticed at the start of the 2nd he says it to nate - "ill go all day"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

ardinn wrote: »
    I watched the fight again last night and funny you should say that because I noticed at the start of the 2nd he says it to nate - "ill go all day"

Yeah i noticed at the time . Looking back it seems like he was trying to convince himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor via Submission
    TheNap wrote: »
    Yeah i noticed at the time . Looking back it seems like he was trying to convince himself.

or he was just talking pure shiite which he has done many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Diaz via Decision
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

He couldnt knock Diaz out when he was without a camp, somehow i cannot see it happening with one....unless he gets very lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

100% think he was sick too and a couple of days leading up to it. I said it straight away after the open workout video. He just was not himself

I think it played a major major factor in the fight.

Saying that I still don't think he can take Diaz's punches. If you look very closely at the fight, Conor was shook to his feet once in the first and another time in the 2nd before the punches where he gets jelly legs. I don't think being 100â„… healthy will make much of a difference in the next fight though. Although I do expect Conor to inflict even more damage on Diaz this time around, but Diaz's size will prove too much again.

Can't wait to see

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Don't understand McG getting back into his sh1te talk against Nate.
    It didn't work 1st time and won't again.
    It will help Nate if he keeps it up.

Advertisement