Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Diaz via Submission
    I never knew full camps reduced your ability to be knocked out, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Coach Kav did a periscope recently:

Predicting a 4th round KO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Don't understand McG getting back into his sh1te talk against Nate.
    It didn't work 1st time and won't again.
    It will help Nate if he keeps it up.

It's for promotional purposes.

McGregor via Submission
    pablo128 wrote: »
    It's for promotional purposes.

It's also because he's a d1ckhead that's full of his own green ****e.

Mod: Fighter bashing isnt allowed, have some sense with your posts..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I don't see Nate as the type of fighter who benefits *massively* from a camp. His style is very set in stone and he seems to train most days outside of camp anyways.
    Don't understand McG getting back into his sh1te talk against Nate.
    It didn't work 1st time and won't again.
    It will help Nate if he keeps it up.

How would it help Nate? I don't think the aim of Conor's sh1t talk is to get into his opponents head any more in this case. Though maybe his sure fire confidence in winning the rematch might have surprised Nate a bit.

He also still has this massively publicised rivalry to maintain in order to sell PPVs of course. How would fans react if he just acted like he had his tail in between his legs? Would be stupid for him to act like the loss affected his confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Lukker- wrote: »
    Coach Kav did a periscope recently:

Predicting a 4th round KO

I hope kavanagh is enjoyng this. A lot of people will want to kick him when hes down. He acts like a cock. I think he thinks he made mc gregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Diaz via Decision
    According to JK in the above vid Conor normally weighs 175, he had to hesitate before saying it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    I hope kavanagh is enjoyng this. A lot of people will want to kick him when hes down. He acts like a cock. I think he thinks he made mc gregor.

well he has been his coach since he started mma so theres that...coach predicts his fighter to get a stoppoge, 'ugh that guy is an arsehole'':rolleyes::rolleyes:

Depp wrote: »
    well he has been his coach since he started mma so theres that...coach predicts his fighter to get a stoppoge, 'ugh that guy is an arsehole'':rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not the video in particular. Him in general.

A coach should realise the athlete is the star. As mcgregor became more famous kavanagh became a bigger dick head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's a very very rich man due to the way he carries himself. More fool you thinking differently.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission

think the sherdog forums would suit you better you should look into it
    Not the video in particular. Him in general.

A coach should realise the athlete is the star. As mcgregor became more famous kavanagh became a bigger dick head

I think now tbh jk knows that conors the star, god forbid he'd try and raise his profile a bit though how unsufferable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think now tbh jk knows that conors the star, god forbid he'd try and raise his profile a bit though how unsufferable

Nobody needs to raise Conors profile any more. What Conor needs to do is win.

McGregor via Submission
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Nobody needs to raise Conors profile any more. What Conor needs to do is win.

so your telling me if they quietly go about their business over the next few weeks the ppv numbers are going to be as high as if they actually promote the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

so your telling me if they quietly go about their business over the next few weeks the ppv numbers are going to be as high as if they actually promote the fight?

Pretty much, the fight sells itself. Its McGregor Diaz 2. There's huge interest in it. UFC just need to throw out a few grapgics and promo ads.

Conor is always going to be loud anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

think the sherdog forums would suit you better you should look into it

His profile will naturally raise. I find he gets more irritating as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    I don't see Nate as the type of fighter who benefits *massively* from a camp. His style is very set in stone and he seems to train most days outside of camp anyways.

There is fit, and there is fighting fit. You will not be fighting fit without a camp, also the sparring is a huge part of camp, getting the rounds in etc

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

There is fit, and there is fighting fit. You will not be fighting fit without a camp, also the sparring is a huge part of camp, getting the rounds in etc

Lots of fighters have given up sparring completely like Poirer and Cowboy

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »

Robbie Lawler gave it up completely for 6 years. During that spell, he wasn't noticeably much better, but he's reaping the rewards now by outlasting guys in bloody wars. I'm all for smart sparring, not giving it up completely but taking it easy with head strikes. That's how Wonderboy spars and it's going to massively prolong his career. He's 33 and fights like he's 24, with the benefit of loads of experience.

• Advertisement

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission

That was a bad spell for him I won't deny that, but he fought some stiff competition in that spell. As I said I wouldn't be a fan of that method but it's set him up really nicely for the later years of his career. I'm very interested in seeing how long his chin will last now, though I think Wonderboy will pick him apart when they clash.

Just to stay on topic with the thread, I'm not sure what sparring is like in SBG (I know there's some lads here who train there and I'd love to know what the intensity is like) but any talented mixed martial artist like Conor could seriously benefit from lighter and smarter sparring. I know he's said he wants to retire young after making his money, but he could make an obscene amount of cash if he looks after his chin.

They both do non-contact sparring as far as I know, or as it's known in boxing as technical sparring or conditioned sparring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like Nate is doing a similar thing to McGregor's MacLife video's

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtbmC1qIbeRc5OZD4DGSVfw

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Nate's full interview on Conan including Conor's video message.

https://streamable.com/m8eu

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Watched the interview. Nate Diaz is a funny guy as well as smart, despite the way he speaks. He is looking huge. I think McGregor will have to beat Diaz on points as he is not going to knock him out nor submit him, while Diaz could do any of the 3 to McGregor. I hope it goes the rounds this time.

If it goes the distance I think it's going to be an absolute war. If Conor can survive Nates eventual onslaught I think he has a good chance of winning. Hard thing to do with a long fighter like Nate though, once he starts to find his range life is going to be a lot harder for Conor. I think 1 round will swing this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Yeah, when Conor started to sag off during rd.2, Nate seemed to just switch on and roles got reversed. Once Nate kept applying the pressure, Conor couldn't deal with it. As above, if Conor can pace himself more and this goes to a 4th or 5th round, it should be epic. Nate saying 'I'll probably get knocked out' :pac: So refreshing to listen to something like that. Delighted for him as well on a show like Conan. I think only Conor and Ronda made it on there previously?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah, when Conor started to sag off during rd.2, Nate seemed to just switch on and roles got reversed. Once Nate kept applying the pressure, Conor couldn't deal with it. As above, if Conor can pace himself more and this goes to a 4th or 5th round, it should be epic. Nate saying 'I'll probably get knocked out' :pac: So refreshing to listen to something like that. Delighted for him as well on a show like Conan. I think only Conor and Ronda made it on there previously?

Yup both appeared before their respective losses too!

• Advertisement

Diaz via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Yup both appeared before their respective losses too!

Don't forget aul Miesha :D

Advertisement