Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    That's it, if Nate loses, it's officiallt the Conan curse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

eddie73 wrote: »
    Watched the interview. Nate Diaz is a funny guy as well as smart, despite the way he speaks. He is looking huge. I think McGregor will have to beat Diaz on points as he is not going to knock him out nor submit him, while Diaz could do any of the 3 to McGregor. I hope it goes the rounds this time.

There's a bit of a rumor brewing over on r/MMA that Nate's voice / manner of speaking is caused by him being partially deaf / hard of hearing - It makes a lot of sense when you consider how he always needs questions repeated during pressers etc - his ear drums could be damaged or he may have always been slightly hard of hearing. I think behind all the trash talk mcgregor and diaz actually really like each other.

Bottom line is, he's just a normal (yet introverted) guy that happens to be in the public eye and has a bit of a wacky tabacy habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hercule wrote: »
    There's a bit of a rumor brewing over on r/MMA that Nate's voice / manner of speaking is caused by him being partially deaf / hard of hearing - It makes a lot of sense when you consider how he always needs questions repeated during pressers etc - his ear drums could be damaged or he may have always been slightly hard of hearing. I think behind all the trash talk mcgregor and diaz actually really like each other.

Bottom line is, he's just a normal (yet introverted) guy that happens to be in the public eye and has a bit of a wacky tabacy habit.

Both his ears are almost closed over from cauliflowering, they don't look bad initially but there is almost no gap for sound to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    At the presser he was asking people to just shout, without a mic. I recall him hearing a question that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Both his ears are almost closed over from cauliflowering, they don't look bad initially but there is almost no gap for sound to get in.

Very rare for cauliflower ears to have a direct effect on hearing. In extreme cases cauliflower ears can lead to infections which can cause the eardrum to burst but generally even if the ear canal is almost totally covered the hearing will not be adversely affected.

Maybe to do with Conor having a video message for him on Conan and him not being told about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Id say he wasnt expecting the 'message" from McGregor on Conan.

McGregor via Submission
    Saipanne wrote: »
    At the presser he was asking people to just shout, without a mic. I recall him hearing a question that way.

Interestingly enough Dana had trouble hearing the questions as well. And he suffers from Menieres Disease. Which in rare cases can be caused by...................
    cauliflower ears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lardbutt

Nate is going to smash him, regardless. Conor is a pussy.

Mod: No fighter bashing as per the charter, also with 5 posts coming in trolling is only going to find you leaving as quick as you came in if you keep it up.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    Interestingly enough Dana had trouble hearing the questions as well. And he suffers from Menieres Disease. Which in rare cases can be caused by...................
    cauliflower ears!!

Conor seemed to be able to able to hear fine, I found it interesting that Dana only couldn't hear the awkward questions!

McGregor via Submission
    lardbutt wrote: »
    Nate is going to smash him, regardless. Conor is a pussy.

We've been expecting you. Enjoy the forum while you can.

Watching the conf. back on videos from those in attendance the reverb was terrible.

John_D80 wrote: »
    We've been expecting you. Enjoy the forum while you can.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Your constant level/temp cycling training doesn't translate to multi level (slow then fast then very fast back to slow) fighting.

The way we used to train for rugby we'd do a lot of running drills but not actually a lot of running time wise. A lot of the running drills would have been interval based so we'd be changing speed the whole time which was much more realistic to a game.

An example being one drill were we'd slow jog from one corner flag across the goal line to the touchline, fast jog up 2/3's the touch line, and then full out sprint diagonally back to the starting corner flag. Take a break for 15 seconds and start it all off again. We'd do that 8 times and be absolutely bollixed at the end, rolling around the ground bollixed.

In total the drill would have been 8 mins maybe and we'd only ran a few kms maybe but was the best type of training for rugby and I'd imagine would translate to fighting too.

Ugh.

Just reminded me pre-season starts in less than two weeks.

Feel like vomiting... And questioning why I'm eating a greasy burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    .ak wrote: »
    Ugh.

Just reminded me pre-season starts in less than two weeks.

Feel like vomiting... And questioning why I'm eating a greasy burger.

dont even get me started, had no intention of going back but i got cornered in tesco today, theres my friday evening gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Bunch of ****ing egg chasers.

One of Nates boxing coaches has said he's weighing close to 200 lbs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    One of Nates boxing coaches has said he's weighing close to 200 lbs right now.

Despite being a triathlete he does tend to go on pretty random Ricky Hatton style fluctuations in between fights.

If it is true, he has 17 days to get down to 183.5lbs to meet the new weight-cut requirements. If he doesn't then they'll watch him like a hawk during fight week.

Scoggins gave up his weight cut the other day at 132.5lbs with only 7.5lbs left to cut, so that might be an early indication of the way they intend to go about it.

As for the fight itself, people (including myself) have argued that Conor gassed in the first fight and if he trains smart and fights smart then he can avenge his loss.

It's in his nature to march forward but it's worth remembering his roots too as a counter-puncher.

I really think the Brimage fight, and others, give a good template of how effective Conor is as a counter-fighter.

Nate, historically, pushes the pace and is a pressure fighter. Not to dissimilar to the recent version of Conor in some ways. Likes to be on the front foot and maintain a high output.

It might serve Conor a bit better to let Nate walk him down and use his usually good head/trunk movement to try pick him apart with check hooks and over-hands (similar to Valentina Shevchenko strategy against her taller, bigger opponent in Holm).

Whether he's willing to do that is another matter.

When all is said and done, you can only fight smart if your head is in the right place. He admitted in the Mendes fight he just wanted to go out and rip his head off and didn't fight smart.

I hope we see the "Zen" version of Conor again. Relaxed, chilled, focused. Won't translate to another 13 second knock out but that version could fight a smart fight and make a mockery of people predicting Nate will destroy him.

Despite being a triathlete he does tend to go on pretty random Ricky Hatton style fluctuations in between fights.

If it is true, he has 17 days to get down to 183.5lbs to meet the new weight-cut requirements. If he doesn't then they'll watch him like a hawk during fight week.

Scoggins gave up his weight cut the other day at 132.5lbs with only 7.5lbs left to cut, so that might be an early indication of the way they intend to go about it.

As for the fight itself, people (including myself) have argued that Conor gassed in the first fight and if he trains smart and fights smart then he can avenge his loss.

It's in his nature to march forward but it's worth remembering his roots too as a counter-puncher.

I really think the Brimage fight, and others, give a good template of how effective Conor is as a counter-fighter.

Nate, historically, pushes the pace and is a pressure fighter. Not to dissimilar to the recent version of Conor in some ways. Likes to be on the front foot and maintain a high output.

It might serve Conor a bit better to let Nate walk him down and use his usually good head/trunk movement to try pick him apart with check hooks and over-hands (similar to Valentina Shevchenko strategy against her taller, bigger opponent in Holm).

Whether he's willing to do that is another matter.

When all is said and done, you can only fight smart if your head is in the right place. He admitted in the Mendes fight he just wanted to go out and rip his head off and didn't fight smart.

I hope we see the "Zen" version of Conor again. Relaxed, chilled, focused. Won't translate to another 13 second knock out but that version could fight a smart fight and make a mockery of people predicting Nate will destroy him.

He's close to 200 but he looks lean enough IMO. Not puffy at all, his frame just seems to have filled out.

Scoggin's decided he couldn't make weight himself, it wasn't the UFC telling him to do so. New guidelines are exactly that, just guidelines. Not like boxing where you have to be within a certain percentage off the scheduled weight during fight week.

All you have to do if you miss the guideline is attend a post fight seminar on the dangers of weight cutting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    He's close to 200 but he looks lean enough IMO. Not puffy at all, his frame just seems to have filled out.

Scoggin's decided he couldn't make weight himself, it wasn't the UFC telling him to do so. New guidelines are exactly that, just guidelines. Not like boxing where you have to be within a certain percentage off the scheduled weight during fight week.

All you have to do if you miss the guideline is attend a post fight seminar on the dangers of weight cutting.

Wasn't part of the new weight cutting rules that if you're outside 8% by check-in day (so, August 16th) that you're subjected to a higher level of monitoring on your hydration, weight and vitals?

I'm positive that's the case.

It might seem like a minor inconvenience but i'm sure Nate would much rather he wasn't dragged in to check his weight and have ECG's done etc every day from the Tuesday up until weigh-in day.

It'd be a disruptive pain in the ass having to set aside an hour a day for that malarkey.

Wasn't part of the new weight cutting rules that if you're outside 8% by check-in day (so, August 16th) that you're subjected to a higher level of monitoring on your hydration, weight and vitals?

I'm positive that's the case.

It might seem like a minor inconvenience but i'm sure Nate would much rather he wasn't dragged in to check his weight and have ECG's done etc every day from the Tuesday up until weigh-in day.

It'd be a disruptive pain in the ass having to set aside an hour a day for that malarkey.

Dos Anjos started his camp at 200 lbs for Alvarez and he didn't get any hassle and he's a light weight. No way Diaz will fighting at WW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I can't see anything other than a 3rd/4th round knock out\submission for Diaz. I just watched the fight again and Diaz really did ate Mcgregors's punches.
    Mcgregor walked in to the ring at 169!!

Diaz is quite a nice boxer and i really think he is one punch away from setting the end of the fight in to motion, where as Mcgregor really has to play long game.. (4\5th round knock out) but what he has in the tank? and can he hold his head for that long are massive questions to be answered....does he have composure to fight intelligently for that long. he hasn't done it in a long time!

I really think Mcgregor thought the first fight was "i'll pop in here , hit him a few digs and collect me checque!".. Mcgregor landed some of his great shots and diaz was still there and started moving a bit faster. Diaz is vastly underrated as a boxer in my opinion.

The head say Diaz all day long but I hope Mcgregor can pull this out of the bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

I can actually see Conor gassing again by the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

49-46 McGregor for me.

I think he'll try to turn it into a Mayweather style boxing match performance with the plan to take it nice and steady and round by round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Hoping we see the old style McGregor come back out. Loose, calculated and calm with a variety of well picked shots. I think he can go 5 rounds if he paces himself and with this new "engine" they've apparently been concentrating on building from scratch in this camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    49-46 McGregor for me.

I think he'll try to turn it into a Mayweather style boxing match performance with the plan to take it nice and steady and round by round.

Can't see that happening anyway, you can't change your natural instincts so much so fast. Well, maybe you can but it would be one hell of a task and would take something very, very special.

Also, if he tries to run like Floyd he will eventually get tired and tagged with no ref there to help them when they clinch. He has got to have his cardio extremely well prepped and be extremely disciplined to take this all the way imo

Not a fight you could see going to points given the two mens styles. I think Conor thinks he can stop him, why wouldn't he? He feels like he was hurting him, to the point that Nate was on his way out, I think he thinks if he can be a bit more patient this time, and pace himself better he will take him out.

Whether or not he is correct is open to debate, I don't think Nate was ever in any trouble for example, I don't think he was in any danger of being stopped at any point, or close to it. If he can find his range it could be another quick night ending with McGregor on his back

I just think Nate is a poor match up for him stylistically, now he may throw a curve ball on the night, but as of right now I am happy to be putting my money on Nate.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Diaz via Decision
    I think Conor thinks he can stop him, why wouldn't he? He feels like he was hurting him, to the point that Nate was on his way out, I think he thinks if he can be a bit more patient this time, and pace himself better he will take him out.

Whether or not he is correct is open to debate, I don't think Nate was ever in any trouble for example, I don't think he was in any danger of being stopped at any point, or close to it. If he can find his range it could be another quick night ending with McGregor on his back

I just think Nate is a poor match up for him stylistically, now he may throw a curve ball on the night, but as of right now I am happy to be putting my money on Nate.

This!

Ive been saying it since the first fight...he's just a terrible match up for him

The key words there are think and feel....the fight i seen looked like Conor threw pretty much everything he had at Nate and it ended badly for him

Whether he spreads that out, or compresses it like he did last time, i cant see the fight going much differently (However it is MMA and theres always the chance he could pull it off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Diaz via Submission
    pone2012 wrote: »
    This!

Ive been saying it since the first fight...he's just a terrible match up for him

The key words there are think and feel....the fight i seen looked like Conor threw pretty much everything he had at Nate and it ended badly for him

Whether he spreads that out, or compresses it like he did last time, i cant see the fight going much differently (However it is MMA and theres always the chance he could pull it off)

I think the problem was he threw everything, but he missed a lot to. A bit of patience, a bit more variety, pick his moments better and I can see the fight going differently. Will he win? Well that's the beauty of it, nobody knows. I thought he was going well until he started visibly tiring after overdoing it in the first and then got caught. Maybe next time it will be Diaz getting caught. I think we'll see a more methodical McGregor this time around though.

Advertisement