Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/7/29/12330056/ufc-202-mma-boxing-news-nate-diaz-200-pounds-weight-conor-mcgregor

I got pretty much ridiculed here for implying that Nate would be cutting 20 pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor via Submission
    newbbieb wrote: »
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/7/29/12330056/ufc-202-mma-boxing-news-nate-diaz-200-pounds-weight-conor-mcgregor

I got pretty much ridiculed here for implying that Nate would be cutting 20 pounds.
    i thought you said 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Diaz via Submission

You said he walks around at 210lbs and were rightly ridiculed for it because it was nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

ASOT wrote: »
    You said he walks around at 210lbs and were rightly ridiculed for it because it was nonsense.

I never said that,you need work harder on your research,even if i said that which i didn't,you're saying its nonsense and i should be ridiculed for saying he walks around at 210 and here you have pretty strong evidence that he is weighing 200 pounds a few weeks out from the fight.

When you feel the strong urge to take issue with my comment just for the sake of it,at least make some sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    I never said that,you need work harder on your research,even if i said that which i didn't,you're saying its nonsense and i should be ridiculed for saying he walks around at 210 and here you have pretty strong evidence that he is weighing 200 pounds a few weeks out from the fight.

When you feel the strong urge to take issue with my comment just for the sake of it,at least make some sense.

i dont really think his boxing coach saying it counts as 'strong evidence' he looks big no doubt but no way hes even near that

McGregor via Submission

nice wee promo for 202, ufc promo team are fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVpFDzRZOnc

He looks like he could be around 190 with a full belly here. Easily lean out down to 180 in a week. Alot more muscle on him than he has down at 155.

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »

Very informative.
    Love the psychological "gassing" he describes that McG got when he was bullied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,402 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Interslice wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVpFDzRZOnc

He looks like he could be around 190 with a full belly here. Easily lean out down to 180 in a week. Alot more muscle on him than he has down at 155.

I wouldn't believe he is 200 unless I see him on a scales and even then I might not. It benefits Nate to play the size mind games. If he was 200, his camp would be saying he is nearly 210lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EvilJanuzaj

clsmooth wrote: »
    I think the problem was he threw everything, but he missed a lot to. A bit of patience, a bit more variety, pick his moments better and I can see the fight going differently. Will he win? Well that's the beauty of it, nobody knows. I thought he was going well until he started visibly tiring after overdoing it in the first and then got caught. Maybe next time it will be Diaz getting caught. I think we'll see a more methodical McGregor this time around though.

McGregor doesn't do methodical, that's the problem. His entire game is built around his power, and his killer left hand. Unfortunately at a bigger weight class, where he faces a heavier opponent who happens to have a reach and size advantage on him - his power is almost taken out of the equation.

That been said, I do believe McGregor more technical than Diaz on his feet, and will be much faster considering the rumour is that Diaz weighs close to 200lbs at the minute and will cut to 170 - McGregor will probably weigh in close to 168lbs again (this time he will be probably a lot leaner).

But Diaz has simply more ways to win. He's one of the best boxers in the UFC, and few can match his output. He has world class jiu-jitsu, and no matter how much McGregor has been sharpening his BJJ skills since UFC 196, he's still nowhere near the level Diaz is on the ground. Conor's BJJ isn't bad, and he actually has quite a decent clinch game, but Diaz is on another level.

McGregor certainly can win, because Diaz is going to stand and trade punches with him. And perhaps the preparation of sparring with guys with a similar frame to Diaz will help. But if Conor doesn't knock him out, I'm not sure he can keep the pace for 5 rounds. Stylistically it's just a bad match-up for McGregor. I hope he can do it, but it's going to be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Diaz via Decision
    anyone know what the story is with Nate and his weed habit? I know its far from a PED but surely its banned? Or do the UFC just turn a blind eye?

McGregor via Submission
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    anyone know what the story is with Nate and his weed habit? I know its far from a PED but surely its banned? Or do the UFC just turn a blind eye?

only banned in competition so if he lays off it for a day or two it wont show up I think, not sure on the actual levels allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Muahahaha wrote:

Ermmm... Look at Nick :pac:

Muahahaha wrote: »

It's allowed out-of-competition, well I use the term allowed loosely - it's just not tested out of competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    He lives in California and has a prescription, it's only banned in competition by the USADA and NSAC, there's no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    He lives in California and has a prescription, it's only banned in competition by the USADA and NSAC, there's no issue.

Does he have a bad back? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Diaz via Submission
    Social anxiety and problems sleeping, probably.

McGregor via Submission
    Listening to McG in press conferences would warrant a prescription of white rhino!

Not having a toke while he builds up to the fight must make him very agitated.
    Must work in his favour on fight night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Conor to win by points or submission is 11/2 with paddypower right now, seems like a great price

McGregor via Submission

Even if he lived in Dublin and was buying the stuff illegally there would be an issue as far as UFC/USADA/NSAC were concerned.

Nick post a picture of a weed vape on snapchat a while back. His post race recovery

McGregor via Submission
    Conor to win by points or submission is 11/2 with paddypower right now, seems like a great price
    Two questions I try to ask myself for those markets.
    What percent chance is Conor/Nate to win. And the percent chance of being KO, Sub, Dec

Eg, 60/40 win
    Nate: 30% KO, 40% Sub, 30% Dec
    Conor: 50% KO, 10% Sub, 40% Dec
    (numbers pulled out of thin air, but you get the point)

Looks more complicated than it is, but find its pretty good at spotting prices that are way out of sync.

Wouldn't fancy it. Decision suits Diaz more, and I couldn't see McGregor tapping Diaz out. McGregor wins by KO/TKO or he doesn't win at all imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Hollywood Nate out and about surprising people who think McGregor will win at 202.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Did I hear conor say before he doesn't train for specific fighters?

He's obviously changed that philosophy which can only be a good thing.

Diaz via Submission
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Did I hear conor say before he doesn't train for specific fighters?

He's obviously changed that philosophy which can only be a good thing.

He's said many times in the build up to this fight he's training specifically for Nate which is very encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

ASOT wrote: »
    He's said many times in the build up to this fight he's training specifically for Nate which is very encouraging.

Yeah just mean before his defeat to nate.

Said training for a specific fighter is a sign of fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    More that there's a good chance his opponent will pull out so there's no point training for him but he says he knows Nate will show up.

• Advertisement

Diaz via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    More that there's a good chance his opponent will pull out so there's no point training for him but he says he knows Nate will show up.

Basically this being a main factor, he has had a massive amount of last minute changes its ridiculous.

Advertisement