Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission
    Good enough for them, cost me $300 to sit in the second last row at 194, now they have an arena with a much bigger capacity and they put the prices up! Their greediness will come back to bite them in the hole one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Diaz via Submission
    TV is the best seat in the house:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

martyos121 wrote: »
    Good enough for them, cost me $300 to sit in the second last row at 194, now they have an arena with a much bigger capacity and they put the prices up! Their greediness will come back to bite them in the hole one day.

I read that as $300 to sit in the second row.

$300 to sit in the second last row!!!

:eek: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

McGregor via Submission
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    I read that as $300 to sit in the second row.

$300 to sit in the second last row!!!

:eek: :mad:

Second row you're looking at a few grand:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'll be in the press box, so row one for $0 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Maybe people aren't that interested in the Re match.

His defence against Aldo will break records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Diaz via Submission
    JustTheOne wrote: »

I'd like to see McGregor vs Cruz. Now that would break records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

It will be a record if it ever happens to be honest. if he beats diaz he is getting eddie...tis as clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I'd like to see McGregor vs Cruz. Now that would break records.

Cruz isn't a big PPV draw. Wasn't a very popular fighter before his comeback, he's a lot more popular now, especially among the hardcores but he doesn't really bring the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

dashoonage wrote:
    It will be a record if it ever happens to be honest. if he beats diaz he is getting eddie...tis as clear as day.

So you think he'll vacate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So you think he'll vacate?

Two division champ yo! think of the PPV's!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭prodigy1

My head is melted, I was with Virgin and changed this week to Sky solely so I can get the fight in, as BT Sports can be got through Sky. So, I went to order the 1 month contract and they are charging nearly 60 pound sterling...Does anyone here have any ideas for me as I dont want to fork that out , something SKY never mentioned..Its the principle of it.
    Is it been shown on Sky Sports ?? I heard about the UFC fight Pass but is that slow because your going over broadband??
    Any help much appreciated??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    The ticket situation is being overblown to an extent - there were still Tix 7/8 days out for 189/194/196.

It won't be a sell-out though. And won't break the Gate record from UFC 200.

The UFC (and Conor) to an extent have botched this.

The thinking seemed to be that because Conor is the top draw, and Conor v Nate was a good fight, with a good build up, that they'd theoretically get 2x UFC 200 type pay days on the Gate.

I have a feeling UFC 202 will break the PPV record. The interest in the fight is still massive and, whilst people won't be flocking to Vegas, worldwide i feel confident people will flock to watching the fight on telly.

The issues with the venue and timing:

1. Irish McGregor fans are, for the most part, in the same key demographic as Irish soccer fans - 18-35 male. Given the choice, most chose to invade France for a few weeks for Euro 2016. Closer, cheaper, and still great craic.

That emptied the tank (and holiday time off work) for many.

2. Timing after UFC 202 also leaves a lot of general hardcore UFC fans out of pocket. I can't see too many of them able to afford 2 trips to Vegas in the space of 42 days.

3. Ticket prices are exorbitant. Worth noting that all prices were dropped by the UFC today (in some cases dramatically).

4. Madison Square Garden complicates things.

Those who can only afford one more go at the McGregor in America malarkey, if given the choice would much prefer the iconic, historic MSG card in New York (closer, cheaper) than another hectic 4 days in Vegas.

Many will argue that neither Conor or the UFC owes the irish fans anything..... but i'd be firmly in the camp that they owe the Irish fans a lot and i'd be very disappointed if that realisation doesn't soon kick in.

They need to get Conor on a card in Ireland or the UK. The Manchester card would have been ideal in many ways.

Those ticket prices are roughly affordable to the masses if they don't come on top of flights, hotels, spending money for Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Submission
    Rewatched the first fight again last night. Fully expect Conor to really target the body alot more and attack more with leg kicks and kicks to the body. It's hard to explain why his gas tank went in the first fight, but if his cardio allows he has the skills and the tools to defeat Nate. It should be a cracking fight whatever happens though.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Rewatched the first fight again last night. Fully expect Conor to really target the body alot more and attack more with leg kicks and kicks to the body. It's hard to explain why his gas tank went in the first fight, but if his cardio allows he has the skills and the tools to defeat Nate. It should be a cracking fight whatever happens though.

He had an infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

dashoonage wrote:
    Two division champ yo! think of the PPV's!

There's no way Conor beats Nate and is allowed fight anyone other than Aldo next without vacating.

McGregor via Submission
    He had an infection.

So did Luke Rockhold against Weidman and it didn't stop him. JK was on the Anik/Florian podcast and said it wasn't the reason he lost. Critical mistakes made in the build up I think.

So did Luke Rockhold against Weidman and it didn't stop him. JK was on the Anik/Florian podcast and said it wasn't the reason he lost. Critical mistakes made in the build up I think.

Was talking about his tank. Probably nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,400 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    zuutroy wrote: »
    I'll be in the press box, so row one for $0 :D

Press box might might not be row one for this one.

McGregor via Submission
    There's no way Conor beats Nate and is allowed fight anyone other than Aldo next without vacating.

I'd put money on him vacating (assuming he beats Nate).

Walks straight to top of LW queue to face Alvarez at MSG.

If he wins, he gets to be the 2-weight champion, then he'll immediately ask for a Welterweight title shot (and get the shot). He'd clearly be an underdog against Woodley or Wonderboy.

If he loses, he'll hot tail it back to Aldo for the rematch.

It's a no-lose situation.

There's nothing for Conor to gain or prove at FW. The division is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I'd put money on him vacating (assuming he beats Nate).

Walks straight to top of LW queue to face Alvarez at MSG.

If he wins, he gets to be the 2-weight champion, then he'll immediately ask for a Welterweight title shot (and get the shot). He'd clearly be an underdog against Woodley or Wonderboy.

If he loses, he'll hot tail it back to Aldo for the rematch.

It's a no-lose situation.

There's nothing for Conor to gain or prove at FW. The division is done.

The division ia done?

How so?

McGregor via Submission
    The division ia done?

How so?

From a rankings and PPV perspective, there's nobody really out there to fight.

Frankie? Holloway rematch? Aldo?

He's beaten 2 of those and Frankie was dismantled by Jose.

It's pretty hard to see any meaningful, big fights outside of an Aldo rematch and a lot of people are just done with that circus. It lasted over a year for 13 seconds.

A lot of people have no appetite for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

From a rankings and PPV perspective, there's nobody really out there to fight.

Frankie? Holloway rematch? Aldo?

He's beaten 2 of those and Frankie was dismantled by Jose.

It's pretty hard to see any meaningful, big fights outside of an Aldo rematch and a lot of people are just done with that circus. It lasted over a year for 13 seconds.

Aldo beat all before him . Most more than once. Division is far from done.

McGregor via Submission

And were they big fights? Conor is set on becoming a two weight world champion, and there is no doubt that Conor v Eddie is a far far bigger fight then McGregor/Aldo 2. McGregor gains nothing from beating Aldo again.

McGregor via Submission
    And were they big fights? Conor is set on becoming a two weight world champion, and there is no doubt that Conor v Eddie is a far far bigger fight then McGregor/Aldo 2. McGregor gains nothing from beating Aldo again.

Alvarez vs McGregor is in no way bigger than the Aldo rematch. Eddie isn't a big name no matter how much he thinks he is, Aldo has a lot of history with McGregor and after the classy display against Edgar, the much bigger and better fight to see if he can avenge that crushing KO.

Alvarez has a clear number one contender to face in Khabib, he should stop ducking him, win that fight (he has no chance of that though IMO) and then we can talk about the fight with Conor. Just like Woodley wanting Nick Diaz, he has no right looking for this fight at the moment with a top contender eyeing him up.

The main problem here is that Conor might prefer the fight with Alvarez. Aldo absolutely must be next for him though win or lose against Diaz, he's never missed 145 and I think he'll be more than willing to do that cut if the money is right, which it most certainly will be.

It's not about what he has to gain from beating Aldo again, it's about the fact that a line has to be drawn here when two massively talented fighters might be kept waiting over a year for a deserved title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Conor is one gas man :pac:

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/763514522522882048

McGregor via Submission
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Alvarez vs McGregor is in no way bigger than the Aldo rematch. Eddie isn't a big name no matter how much he thinks he is, Aldo has a lot of history with McGregor and after the classy display against Edgar, the much bigger and better fight to see if he can avenge that crushing KO.

Alvarez has a clear number one contender to face in Khabib, he should stop ducking him, win that fight (he has no chance of that though IMO) and then we can talk about the fight with Conor. Just like Woodley wanting Nick Diaz, he has no right looking for this fight at the moment with a top contender eyeing him up.

The main problem here is that Conor might prefer the fight with Alvarez. Aldo absolutely must be next for him though win or lose against Diaz, he's never missed 145 and I think he'll be more than willing to do that cut if the money is right, which it most certainly will be.

It's not about what he has to gain from beating Aldo again, it's about the fact that a line has to be drawn here when two massively talented fighters might be kept waiting over a year for a deserved title shot.

Of course it's the bigger fight. McGregor will have a chance to become a 2 weight world champion rather then beating a guy he knocked out before in 13 seconds. It doesn't matter about contenders. If McGregor and Alvarez both want the fight, they'll get it. Look at Bising/Hendo 2. I'm not saying its the right thing, but if you're McGregor you want a LW title shot before the rematch with Aldo 100%

McGregor via Submission

No appetite for it?

McGregor Aldo II would be the biggest fight of all time at 145.
    The only ever champion UFC FW champion.
    Beaten in seconds by McGregor.
    Bounces back with a demolition of Frankie Edgar for the Interim title.

The unification fight is massive.
    Most more than once?

As champ he only faced Mendes more than once. What's most about?

McGregor via Submission
    Of course it's the bigger fight. McGregor will have a chance to become a 2 weight world champion rather then beating a guy he knocked out before in 13 seconds. It doesn't matter about contenders. If McGregor and Alvarez both want the fight, they'll get it. Look at Bising/Hendo 2. I'm not saying its the right thing, but if you're McGregor you want a LW title shot before the rematch with Aldo 100%

I'm not denying that McGregor would want the Alvarez fight, in fact I said as much in my post, I'm saying the circus needs to stop and number one contenders need to get their shots. Aldo rematch is still the bigger fight though IMO, that's a real grudge match, Alvarez is trying to start a beef out of nothing and it's extremely obvious and fake. I get the whole 2 division champ thing but I'd rather he was a legitimate fighting champion in one division before he holds two belts with zero title defenses.

Think about it, if Alvarez beats Conor, you think he won't want to avenge that loss too? Of course he will, and they'll let him, leaving the FW division in a right state and a bit of a slap in the face to all the guys in it.

He has to fight Aldo next, simple as that. I know you're not completely disagreeing with me but it's clear cut the way I see it. Eddie can wait, or do the right thing and fight Khabib.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    He fights Aldo next. Or else Aldo says he ran away.
    Then he moves to LW. He fits into the queue/rankings where ever he fits in at that time. Could be anywhere from no.1 to no.5 imo

Advertisement