Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Is this how grown-ups behave now?

Diaz via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    lol here kid do you best sad face impression real quick

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/766025517099282437

Poor Namajunas getting cracked with a bottle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

Diaz via Decision
    It's funny though because Conor always slags Diaz off for being Mexican and as soon as Nate mentions something about the Irish he loses the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Submission
    Quite a dull build up to the fight until the press conference yesterday. Fantastic way to build the hype but throwing bottles was Ott.

How should the weigh in be handled? I would hate for a stupid scuffle to break out and risk an injury. I have €20 on megreggor ko in the 3rd round

Any sign of a gif of when McGregor's finished answering a question and is waiting for Diaz to hit his cue? :rolleyes: The panic in Dana was so clear too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    Ido saves the day by telling a kid to get down during the melee.
    Not the hero we deserve, the one we needed

Oc9RMOX.gif

He's Isreali....missiles flying are not new to him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

They're gonna have to do something alright to prevent chaos breaking out at the weigh in. They'll probably flood the place with security but you'd imagine something would still probably kick off.

Maybe they'll put up a cage like they did when David Haye and Derek Chisora fought. (Tensions were high after that scuffle in Germany between Haye's team and Chisora's team after the Klitschko fight).

david-haye_2276418b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

MrMischief wrote: »
    Personal opinion is that Conor was correct and forced to react when Diaz insulted the one thing Conor has always carried with him and shown : his irishness, his pride of being Irish etc. I think Diaz wasn't getting the reaction he was expecting when he was on his way out so he resorted to a low blow insulting all us Irish motherfookers. McG could never not respond to that and would have looked far worse sitting back and saying nothing. When the bottle was thrown by the Diaz camp you cant just sit back and laugh that off - fire with fire as said otherwise it would have looked like McG was backing off.

Another opinion could be that this could backfire on Diaz if McG channels his aggression in the correct way and brings it in to the fight. Those two words from Diaz, 'Irish motherfookers', is essentially the teamtalk McG needed.

Ah come on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'll defend MMA for as long as I breathe but that press conference was all sort of farcical.

Anybody who follows combat sports can usually see through the thrash talking element of fight promotion. It's all part of the build up and I enjoy that side of it.

I don't care if Diaz/Conor have a war of words. I find it entertaining. But throwing physical objects in the direction of each other does absolutely nothing for fighter image or positive promotion for the sport.

Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Staredowns at the weigh in are one thing but throwing crap at a press conference is absolutely stupid and will only serve to beat the sport with a stick.

Fights are entertaining enough but the lines are being blurred between what is sport and what is just entertainment.

Short term it might gain a few more PPV buys but long term, is this the road they really want to go down?

Like I say, I am passionate about the sport but there's a way to build up fights and this isn't the way to do it.

Diaz via Submission
    This all a bit strong, all the talk of him defending his woman, his Irish pride, his team.
    At the end of the day someone threw a bottle at him and he threw back. Anyone else thinking there was some deeper thoughts going on is mad, that was an adrenaline fueled moment and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Cian Cowley, who is one of McGregors sparring partners had it upon his snap chat a vide of an sbg fighter fighting nick diaz out the back of the press conference like a mad thing..stupid...but exciting.

McGregor via Submission
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'll defend MMA for as long as I breathe but that press conference was all sort of farcical.

Anybody who follows combat sports can usually see through the thrash talking element of fight promotion. It's all part of the build up and I enjoy that side of it.

I don't care if Diaz/Conor have a war of words. I find it entertaining. But throwing physical objects in the direction of each other does absolutely nothing for fighter image or positive promotion for the sport.

Staredowns at the weigh in are one thing but throwing crap at a press conference is absolutely stupid and will only serve to beat the sport with a stick.

Fights are entertaining enough but the lines are being blurred between what is sport and what is just entertainment.

Short term it might gain a few more PPV buys but long term, is this the road they really want to go down?

Like I say, I am passionate about the sport but there's a way to build up fights and this isn't the way to do it.
    You are 100% right, I think that whole walkout was nicks idea and it was dumb as fuark. I have to admit I like Nate but him throwing the bottle at Conors camp was a bit low and Conor throwing the can back was stupid, that could have hit a fan.

On a side note. Was it me or were those fans annoying and seem a bit dickish during the press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

That all came across as staged. Not necessarily down to to level of "I will walk out at this time and we will start throwing bottles ....." More like, everyone knows the build-up has been subdued, tickets for the arena aint sold out etc. Everyone gains from more tickets sold, ppv buys etc. and they needed to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

joeguevara wrote: »
    Cian Cowley, who is one of McGregors sparring partners had it upon his snap chat a vide of an sbg fighter fighting nick diaz out the back of the press conference like a mad thing..stupid...but exciting.
    Any more info on that?
    Interesting to see who it was..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Diaz via Decision
    sonofenoch wrote: »
    He's Isreali....missiles flying are not new to him

TBF they are usually going in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    Did I hear someone at the start shout "Super Smash Diaz Brothers"??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Interesting that there seems to be some 'issues' with getting Nick to corner Nate (words from Nate himself straight after the conference). I wonder what's going on with that. Also, I guarantee there will be no problems at the weigh in's, will be even less eventful than their last one.

Great to see Dillon trying to get stuck in to the 209 boys. Tell ye what, if they did a TUF season of SBG vs Cesar Gracie, that would be epic telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Diaz via Decision
    SBG would be smashed I'd say. There would have to be at least 8 people from a single weight division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    SBG would be smashed I'd say. There would have to be at least 8 people from a single weight division.

Nonsense...the way of the pool noodle is strong with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

At the end of the day someone threw a bottle at him and he threw back. Anyone else thinking there was some deeper thoughts going on is mad, that was an adrenaline fueled moment and nothing more.

Did he throw a bottle at McGregor first?

I thought Diaz threw the first one at someone in the SBG group and then McGregor started throwing them from the stage at the Diaz's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

McGregor showing what a thug he is ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

That_Guy wrote: »

Agreed 100% - I'm a fan of ufc and Conor. But this was a dumb move to fire back bottles. As posted above... thug carry on. Such a Shame on the eve of the fight to show this kind of character

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Because he responded to ****ty behaviour ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

If someone threw a bottle at you what would you do?

Sit there and let yourself get hit cause you're not a tug?

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

JustTheOne wrote: »
    If someone threw a bottle at you what would you do?

Sit there and let yourself get hit cause you're not a tug?

Good man.

Jesus. The thrown bottle didn't go near him. The better man would have laughed it off... not rise to it.

It was a plastic water bottle not a bloody brick.

I'm a fan of Conor's but this was petty

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    A journo said he saw something hit Dee on the arm. Lads, if someone threw something and hit or almost hit your missus, you'd fire something back. Especially in a situation with that much tension. But sure it's great fuel for McGregor haters anyway. I saw online how Rumble was joking that Conor definitely won the water bottle fight and the amount of people who started slagging AJ just for backing up Conor was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

McGregor via Submission

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

sticker wrote: »
    Jesus. The thrown bottle didn't go near him. The better man would have laughed it off... not rise to it.

It was a plastic water bottle not a bloody brick.

I'm a fan of Conor's but this was petty

You think a full plastic bottle wouldn't do damage hitting you after been thrown?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like the SBG lads in the crowd were giving loads to the Diaz brothers and he threw the bottle at them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1 TrebleGold

There are a lot of naive people who actually think that was staged, morons.

Advertisement