Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Isn't there reports that Conors girlfriend got hit in the melee? Could understand Conor getting p****d over that! He will be cool as you like come fight night, write him off at your peril!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Lads all will be revealed at the weigh in. Hope he doesn't flinch again like last time. I can see him semi-going for Nate tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    So you think that Diaz throwing a couple of water bottles and McGregor losing the head means that Diaz has McGregor in a position where he won't be able to think straight? Bollocks. McGregor has been under a lot of pressure before and is generally totally professional in his approach to a fight (except the last one because was complacent and made a balls of his conditioning).

I never said "bro" and never would. I also never said I'm an authority, but I do have a problem with these new armchair fans talking out through their holes as though the sh!te that goes on in the Embedded videos actually with determine the outcome of the fight. I'm watching Martial Arts competitions such K1/Pride/UFC etc. etc. for about 15 years and have trained in a few disciplines and I certainly don't think talking sh!t or throwing water bottles would actually affect any trained athletes performance.

Appreciate the reasoned response Kev. My belief is that anything where someone loses the rag and control (and I don't think that's within question with McGregor throwing full cans and the repercussions that could bring), they reflect back on it, and play it back in their head a few times, wondering if that response was correct.

Not saying that it's monumental or anything, but they're the subtle tricks that have been used by football managers so well over the years to disrupt the preparation of any opponent for an important match - Think Kevin Keegan rant way back. They end up getting the opponent overly emotionally invested in the outcome, when the way to success is being cold.

McGregor used that to great effect with Aldo, basically baiting him to come out swinging, which he did.

And the Diaz brothers are artists at goading. He has to fight his own fight if he's going to win this, and if he starts getting emotionally involved and fighting the fight Diaz wants him to fight - loading on big shots in an attempt to finish him and not point scoring - he's done for.

Perhaps you're underplaying the significance of that baiting that Diaz started, and perhaps some are overplaying it. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

tbayers wrote: »
    Isn't there reports that Conors girlfriend got hit in the melee? Could understand Conor getting p****d over that! He will be cool as you like come fight night, write him off at your peril!

She got hit on the arm with a roll of tape, I doubt it did any damage but you could see how it might contribute to riling him.

I'd say he's been working on someway of getting back at weigh ins, but I'm sure Diaz has been working on his counters too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm hoping it's not the bite down on his mouth piece and go for it like he did the last time and he said himself he did it against Mendes.

Kavanagh said to him between rounds to attack Nate's front leg so I assume it was in their plan even though McGregor isn't known for throwing them. We've seen it slows Nate down and will take away some power.

And for the love of god don't stand right in front of him not moving his head, use his speed, move, mix up the strikes, throw kicks (low - high), don't just box with him and be patient.

I'm struggling for a prediction in this but I'll let the heart pick, McGregor TKOs Diaz in the 3rd Round. It's going to be an exciting fight either way. Oh I'm pumped for this now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jayop wrote: »

Priceless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Submission
    hefferboi wrote: »
    I thought the weigh ins weren't until tonight??

Fake weigh ins are tonight, they should really just make them face off since they weigh in earlier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Little bit surprised with the weigh-in weight, thought he would be a little closer to 165. In saying that he looks good and much leaner this time around for being the same weight on the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

McGregor via Submission
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Priceless :D

Excellent ha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Lads all will be revealed at the weigh in. Hope he doesn't flinch again like last time. I can see him semi-going for Nate tonight.

Sure he went for him last time basically, threw a punch/slap (certainly not a thuggish act though of course)

I just hope nothing happens that puts the fight in doubt, beyond that I don't care what either of them do to the other really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

CqPIrPKUIAEL-K9.jpg:large

The boy looks good! Well leaner than the last fight.

Diaz via Decision
    Everybody makes weight, Nate 70.5, Conor 68.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Pamela Anderson's tits! :P
    Mellor wrote: »

What?? I obviously know who Pammy is. Is she Artem's manager?

:confused:

I thought Pete's post was a joke

Diaz via Decision
    Looks in terrific shape there, I think he made a small cut. Excitement is well and truly kicking in already cannot wait for this!

Gintonious wrote: »
    CqPIrPKUIAEL-K9.jpg:large

The boy looks good! Well leaner than the last fight.

9/10

Thick, solid, tight.

Loses points for not having shaved arm pits, so he's more aerodynamic when he fights.

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    anyone else think diaz looked a bit softer on the scale than he usually does?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    What?? I obviously know who Pammy is. Is she Artem's manager?

:confused:

I thought Pete's post was a joke

Artem said "as fake as Pamela Anderson's t**s" in the video, someone took it up wrong as "my manager's t**s", that's all it is.

This is the weirdest line of conversation ever in here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'm really not sure Conor will be able to make 145 again. It looks like he's added at least a lb or two of muscle since the Aldo fight. That could make it very difficult.

Depp wrote: »
    anyone else think diaz looked a bit softer on the scale than he usually does?

9485822.jpg

Lighting isn't the same as McG, but he never looks ripped anyway for the fights.

9485823.jpg

With the same lighting though, Conor does still look very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Artem said "as fake as Pamela Anderson's t**s" in the video, someone took it up wrong as "my manager's t**s", that's all it is.

This is the weirdest line of conversation ever in here. :pac:

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh I read the post above before watching it but I thought he said "my manger" too. Had to watch it another 3 times for it to become clearer :eek::D

Actually no, NO.....he definitely said my manger, so we need loads more pics of Pammy just to try and clear up any further confusion :pac:

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    9485822.jpg

Lighting isn't the same as McG, but he never looks ripped anyway for the fights.

9485823.jpg

With the same lighting though, Conor does still look very well.

He was ripped vs Jonhson, very low BF, he was even gaunt around the face.

He has some extra muscle on on him now too without the need to cut the excess body fat to make weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    This is actually a great vid. They have McGregor by split decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You don't get it because you are blinded. That happens in sport all the time, Nate wasn't bothered, even throwing the bottle was just a Diaz thing to do, there was no snap before it, he just kinda flung it.

Everything you say in relation to Conor comes from a place of blind love/faith/loyalty, whatever, so clearly in your head everything is going to slant in his direction.

The embedded clip clearly shows that Nate has gotten the reaction from Conor that Conor looks for and gets from other fighters generally, he has him wound up to the point where he does not appear in control, if you are not in control you are ****ed. This is an accepted point, or at least always was until someone managed to get under Conors skin more then he gets under theirs I guess.

Conor lost his control, over the press conference itself and his actions, if it were the other way around this would be celebrated by his fans, just accept it. It doesn't mean he is guaranteed to lose the fight or anything like that, the fight itself is always going to be a tough ask.

The whole notion of ‘getting in someone’s head’ or riling them up only matters if it knocks them off their game plan.

Diaz was extremely riled up during the CNBC interview, where he stormed out, but stuck with his ‘Homer Simpson’ ;) tactics for the fight.

I’m pretty confident that McGregor has the right people around him to get him in the right mindset for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

chillin117 wrote: »
    Somebody who suddenly gets money and their style remains Knacker. Posting examples of the cars you bought,updated with ''Knacker'' styling

Mod: Banned until after the fight.
    Troll again when you're back and it's permanent.

Diaz via Decision
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    The whole notion of ‘getting in someone’s head’ or riling them up only matters if it knocks them off their game plan.

Diaz was extremely riled up during the CNBC interview, where he stormed out, but stuck with his ‘Homer Simpson’ ;) tactics for the fight.

I’m pretty confident that McGregor has the right people around him to get him in the right mindset for tomorrow.

Are you talking about the interview with the woman constantly asking about money?

I think he stormed out on her rather then Conor, which would be pretty in character, he asked at one point, what is this the ****ing business channel? He would have no interest in that, don't think it bothered him.

I think its pretty hard to get into Nates head actually, most things roll off his back, I thought referring to him as Nicks baby brother etc was having some effect though.

I think McGregor needs to keep his emotions in check and point his way to a decision on Saturday, or force a TKO stoppage, neither of those will be served by him running in and loading up which is what you will get if he is not focused come fight night.

Nate obviously would prefer Conor to come out of the traps fast like last time, let him blow himself out again ideally and finish him, either way, for Nate the better prospect is McGregor (or any opponent) fighting while not remaining detached.

I don't think he gets enough credit really, he is using some psychological warfare, same way McGregor does and it worked at the press conference, up to Conor to sort it out before the fight and give himself the best chance. I think he will be fine come fight night personally, I think he has good people with him to ground him, but if he doesn't listen to them, like last time he could be in trouble.

Diaz via Decision
    Nate and Conor both look in great shape by the way, both definitely took this seriously and approached it correctly.

As long as they don't **** it up during the face off we are in for one hell of a treat!

Ticket prices have been cut a fair bit. The entry level seats that cost $365 have been reduced to $215, or about 42% off. Ringside which would cost you about 10k cut to 8k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Are you talking about the interview with the woman constantly asking about money?

I think he stormed out on her rather then Conor, which would be pretty in character, he asked at one point, what is this the ****ing business channel? He would have no interest in that, don't think it bothered him.

I think its pretty hard to get into Nates head actually, most things roll off his back, I thought referring to him as Nicks baby brother etc was having some effect though.

I think McGregor needs to keep his emotions in check and point his way to a decision on Saturday, or force a TKO stoppage, neither of those will be served by him running in and loading up which is what you will get if he is not focused come fight night.

Nate obviously would prefer Conor to come out of the traps fast like last time, let him blow himself out again ideally and finish him, either way, for Nate the better prospect is McGregor (or any opponent) fighting while not remaining detached.

I don't think he gets enough credit really, he is using some psychological warfare, same way McGregor does and it worked at the press conference, up to Conor to sort it out before the fight and give himself the best chance. I think he will be fine come fight night personally, I think he has good people with him to ground him, but if he doesn't listen to them, like last time he could be in trouble.

Conor was taunting him badly before he walked out, on money and on being stupid, he was clearly flustered (though the eventual walk off was down to him not being able to answer her questions). I’m sure he wasn’t annoyed for long after it but I doubt Conor was either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wn99sp4Tc

I think at times the Diaz brothers get too little credit but at times way too much for their ‘psychological warfare’, as some of it is smart (like the walkout) while other parts is just mumbling and cursing, which most would laugh at. I’m not totally convinced the smart parts are down to a stopped clock being right twice a day or not. If either brother (or most of their team) were slightly more articulate it would be a lot easier to work it out.

Advertisement