Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission
    I'd always condone waiting up and watching the whole card because there's some great fights on, but for the usual bunch of casual fans who just want to see McGregor and aren't adjusted to MMA hours (12-7am ;)), there's a great app for ye here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gpacini.mcgregoralarm

Alarm goes off 5 minutes before he fights, far better than guesswork. Sleep tight ye crowd of softies! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Now, I'm not being soft in the head here and thinking it's Sunday morning it's on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Jayop wrote: »
    Now, I'm not being soft in the head here and thinking it's Sunday morning it's on?

The main card will be about 3am, ME about 5am

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

McGregor via Submission
    Jayop wrote: »

Yeah it is, didn't mean tonight but I definitely get how people would think that, should've worded it a little bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Great bunch of fans in fairness. Gonna be a long 27 hours or so. Can't wait for the fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    Great bunch of fans in fairness. Gonna be a long 27 hours or so. Can't wait for the fight!

Yer man with the green tee at the front at the end, with the beard.

His movements made me actually LOL. Top man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah it is, didn't mean tonight but I definitely get how people would think that, should've worded it a little bit better.

I've beer and Jameson on board here. I'm the definition of easily mislead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

UFC coming to Belfast on Nov 19th.

Nice one. SSE if I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Ariel at the end sounds like he was on the gargle with the lads

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    Mod: Threads merged - any nonsense such as trolling, fighter bashing or general being a muppet will result in a straight ban. If someone posts something you feel fits any of the above simply report it and move on, anyone getting involved in back and forth spats will find themselves on the receive end of an infraction or ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    We all have our different opinions on Conor as a fighter and as a person. And we all have different views on who wins this fight and how they win.

I will say this though:

For a number of reasons, i've never wanted Conor to win a fight more than this one.

People might like how real the Diaz brothers are but let's call a spade a spade - they roll with a bunch of thugs looking to cause trouble. It's been that way long before Conor crossed their paths.

What Jake Shields did during that melee sums them up. He grabs someone elses hot coffee and fu*ks it towards John Kavanagh. Conor Wallace deflected it but you end up with hot coffee over Wallace, Kavanagh and Orlagh Hunter.

He then motions to pick up someone elses laptop with a view to chucking it.

Even tonight, they rolled up to the MGM despite knowing they were banned and hung around down the street waiting for aggro.

When i listen to Artem Lobov speak, when i listen to John Kavanagh, Dillon Danis, in fact the lot of them - it's clear they are fighters and martial artists, not a bunch of thugs looking for hassle.

Finally this Instagram Post by Peter Queally says everything you need to know about Conor McGregor.

Let's go Conor.
    Peter Queally - Instagram

The job is almost done here in Vegas. I know with certainty that my brother @thenotoriousmma will do himself, his family, and the team proud on Saturday night. To be honest, I've barely trained with him for this fight as I'm not the right height, weight etc. When he flew me out here all expenses covered I thought I was coming to help him prepare. As the weeks went on it became very obvious that the only reason he brought me out here was so that he could make sure that I was going to be prepared for whatever lay ahead for ME. People only get a glimpse of him in the media and have no idea how loyal he is to his own. He leaves no soldier behind and is an absolute legend.
    #teammcgregor

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJR3DZ0D7q7/?taken-by=peterqueally

McGregor via Submission
    People might like how real the Diaz brothers are but let's call a spade a spade - they roll with a bunch of thugs looking to cause trouble. It's been that way long before Conor crossed their paths.

Totally agree. Always liked Nick as a fighter but that's it. I just don't get how everything Nate does is seen as him been cool and chilled. Just watching an interview with him there tonight after the weigh ins and he was asked how come he remains so calm and chilled. I mean are people just seeing what they want to see or what :confused: As before he threw that bottle he looked extremely agitated and not in the least bit calm.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    look at this angle of weigh ins.....Conor might be outwardly looking like he's losing the plot but he looks really calm and relaxed before the stare down.

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/766810231774916608

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I think the 168 by Conor is deliberate....exactly same weight as last time....he has a point to prove and wants it at the same weight....never been as pumped before a fight!

McGregor via Submission
    They just posted a video of one of them seemingly sneaking into the weigh ins as Nick was being refused.

Not the brightest thing to post one wouldn't have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    This is actually a great vid. They have McGregor by split decision.
    I never understand it when people predict (or judge) a fight to be a split decision. It's not possible to look at a fight and decide "yeah that was a split decision".
    (I know that wasn't your prediction btw)

McGregor via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    I never understand it when people predict (or judge) a fight to be a split decision. It's not possible to look at a fight and decide "yeah that was a split decision".
    (I know that wasn't your decision btw)

It was a video game simulation that decided the outcome, no human input whatsoever. They do the same thing with Madden for every Super Bowl, it's just to see how it plays out in the game as if it's some kind of indication of what might happen (it never is, of course).

McGregor via Submission
    It was a video game simulation that decided the outcome, no human input whatsoever. They do the same thing with Madden for every Super Bowl, it's just to see how it plays out in the game as if it's some kind of indication of what might happen (it never is, of course).
    That still makes no sense though.
    How can the simulated fight be split decision? Surely, it simulates winner one way or the other, without subjectiveness.

It makes about as much sense as predicting a split imo.

McGregor via Submission
    Quite a cool 360° interactive faceoff to enjoy over your cornflakes.

McGregor via Submission
    That still makes no sense though.
    How can the simulated fight be split decision? Surely, it simulates winner one way or the other, without subjectiveness.

It makes about as much sense as predicting a split imo.

If you play the UFC games you'd know it does make sense, different judges value things differently like in real life, some score takedowns more highly, others go on striking success and octagon control. I don't see what about it doesn't make sense to be honest, fighting simulation games would be pointless if there was an exact formula to win in them everytime.

We're going way off topic though with this so I'll say no more in case I get an infraction.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    If you play the UFC games you'd know it does make sense, different judges value things differently like in real life, some score takedowns more highly, others go on striking success and octagon control. I don't see what about it doesn't make sense to be honest, fighting simulation games would be pointless if there was an exact formula to win in them everytime.
    If the game involves stimulating 3 scorecards, then it could happen sure. But I'd be surprised if that's the case. It be much easier to fake it with a random variable.

Anyway, I was talking more about split decision predictions in general and not the video specifically. They crop up all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Diaz via Decision
    The excitement I have for this fight Is more then any Conor fight before..

Still can't see past Diaz 3rd but I would love Conor to tap Diaz out just for ultimate revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭cletus

If the game involves stimulating 3 scorecards, then it could happen sure. But I'd be surprised if that's the case. It be much easier to fake it with a random variable.

Anyway, I was talking more about split decision predictions in general and not the video specifically. They crop up all the time.

I think people use it when they want to suggest that they feel it will be a close decision

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

The game simulates 3 judges score cards. Wheres todays embedded godddamit. I want to psychologically assess conor some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wow. I really don't see how people can say Diaz didn't get under his skin using the presser stunt. Look at the first part of the above embedded - Conor is apoplectic. Just keeps pacing around going "aggh!" Like a wildman. Very disappointing. He's totally been Out McGregored.

McGregor said in a recent interview he believed you win a fight three ways; physically, mentally and verbally. Well, he's lost the mental battle anyway. But maybe that'll give him an edge...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

McGregor via Submission
    rusty cole wrote: »
    whats sigged mean?? good or bad thing??

It means I put the quote in my Boards signature because it's f*ckin' epic :D

.ak wrote: »

Wow. I really don't see how people can say Diaz didn't get under his skin using the presser stunt. Look at the first part of the above embedded - Conor is apoplectic. Just keeps pacing around going "aggh!" Like a wildman. Very disappointing. He's totally been Out McGregored.

McGregor said in a recent interview he believed you win a fight three ways; physically, mentally and verbally. Well, he's lost the mental battle anyway. But maybe that'll give him an edge...
    I think he just had a stunt planned and was pissed he didnt get to execute it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Diaz via Decision
    If Diaz gets the KO, Conor has to have 6 months off right?

McGregor via Submission
    cletus wrote: »
    I think people use it when they want to suggest that they feel it will be a close decision

Sometimes I think people use it when they mean a 29-28 decision.
    At least some of the time thats the case. Like when people say they judged it a split decision.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Gamb!t wrote: »
    If Diaz gets the KO, Conor has to have 6 months off right?

Nope.

Advertisement