Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

McGregor via Submission
    Is it just me or do his legs look huge, they look twice the size to the last fight. I'd say he is going to try destroy his leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Yup, just a group of mild mannered vegans.
    wrong place at the wrong time in nashville, and at WSOF, and again last month again :rolleyes:

1qr9dg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

They play up to being "Mexican" gang members? How? By being Latino and tough? The stupidity of people on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

He literally said the other day him and his crew are gangsters. Probably didn't mean actual gangsters but more of an image thing.

McGregor via Submission
    Back on Topic,

XegGAFx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    Yup, definitely looking more solid this time around. Can see it in the lats and across the chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

McGregor via KO/TKO
    Is it just me or do his legs look huge, they look twice the size to the last fight. I'd say he is going to try destroy his leg.

Cerrone, Johnson and McGregor all tried to stand in front of Nate, it doesn't work. McGregor could destroy his legs with kicks, he is fast and accurate enough.

I know his stance doesn't lend itself to low leg kicks, but it has to be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Kiss of death for Mcgregor. Bisping says he's going to win

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How is it every McGregor releated thread seems to go completely off topic and we end up debating everything except MMA?

That's how McGregor has made the break trough from niche sport star to global star.

If he just talked MMA he'd just be known to MMA fans and maybe a few other Irish fans too. Once he starts the big show man stuff than he gets other people interested in him. It's the big show man stuff that gets people talking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    Lads I am not going to keep repeating myself, if something is out of line then report it and move on.

If people keep engaging in a post they are going to start receiving infractions themselves for just derailing a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Used to like nate but they have gone down in my estimation.

Come on conor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

From Embedded #5, the open work out, & the official weigh ins...Conor seems to be filled with emotion...potentially not good. He seriously needs to stick to the game plan, or the whole fight could go out the window in one big adrenaline dump. It could work the other way though, & focus him...who knows.

The 'bad blood' thing was misplaced before, but it's seeming a lot more fitting now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I remember sitting at the Brandao weigh in and thinking Conor was way too emotional. Everyone was saying it. And he was a different man on fight night. Seems to me Conor let's his emotions run away with him but come fight night he's 100% zen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Diaz via Submission
    .ak wrote: »
    You don't remember Nate storming off in the interview as McGregor laughed at him?

He completely wound him up.

The roles are completely reversed now tho.

He walked off because they were on MSNBC, a business channel. He though wtf am I doing here, I'm a fighter not a financial analyst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    I remember sitting at the Brandao weigh in and thinking Conor was way too emotional. Everyone was saying it. And he was a different man on fight night. Seems to me Conor let's his emotions run away with him but come fight night he's 100% zen.

Come to think of it, I remember he looked emotional at the Mendes weigh in. Maybe it's nothing, but I was hoping for the Zen like calm of 194.

Saipanne wrote:
    Come to think of it, I remember he looked emotional at the Mendes weigh in. Maybe it's nothing, but I was hoping for the Zen like calm of 194.

I'd be more worried about what I saw on Embedded 5 to be honest. But shur that's been debated over ten pages on this thread already!

McGregor via Submission
    He walked off because they were on MSNBC, a business channel. He though wtf am I doing here, I'm a fighter not a financial analyst.
    I don't remember exactly what he walked out form, but MSNBC is a news channel.

He walked out of that interview coz of the stupid questions your one was asking him. Nothing to do with McG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I see Nate is friends with Dan Bilzerian now. As if he didn't make enough of a fool of himself this week.

It is funny that we all think it's brilliant when Conor gets into these lads heads like Poirier and Aldo. But when the tables turn we can't handle it. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

baz2009 wrote: »
    I see Nate is friends with Dan Bilzerian now. As if he didn't make enough of a fool of himself this week.

Another career conor has helped reach new heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't remember exactly what he walked out form, but MSNBC is a news channel.

It was CNBC, which is Business news and stock markets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    Said it before many times but this is really a no-win situation for Conor.

If he wins, he needs to win decisively - But by decisively people really mean go the full 5 rounds and dominate the fight. If he lands a big left after 2 mins and puts Nate to sleep it'll be deja vu from Aldo with people saying it was a "lucky punch".

Even if he does win a 5 round war, people will then say "yeah but it was only Nate Diaz, he's 19-10 and not even top 5 in LW division."

Worse, you'll have a sizeable amount of people saying Nate threw the fight to get a trilogy. Which is, of course, mind bendingly silly.

If he does lose, he's got 1 avenue left which is Aldo. His reputation will take a massive hit, as will John Kavanaghs. The timing of Win Or Learn was a gamble and 100% reliant on Conor winning. The book and, even, the philosophy will be pilloried if he loses.

There's only one real scenario where a win is a genuine win in terms of his career and star power - and that's coming thru a Lawler-MacDonald style 5 round war or a 5 round demolition of Nate Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    But by decisively people really mean go the full 5 rounds and dominate the fight.

That would answer the gassing out issues alright, but Conor's USP is his striking power and for me he needs to put that back on show tonight. If he does, then it's 'as you were'.

The following is the point in the fight which I think Conor was talking about when he said that if he had landed 'one or two more clean shots' Nate was done and I don't think he is far wrong. He needs to be more precise than that last fight for sure, wild wheel kicks and missed shots he had loaded up definitely contributed to him gassing out, but I genuinely believe that was more down to Conor not taking Nate as seriously as he should have. He fought like it was an exhibition at times almost. One thing is for sure, he won't be doing that again tonight.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Diaz via Decision
    Said it before many times but this is really a no-win situation for Conor.

If he wins, he needs to win decisively - But by decisively people really mean go the full 5 rounds and dominate the fight. If he lands a big left after 2 mins and puts Nate to sleep it'll be deja vu from Aldo with people saying it was a "lucky punch".

Even if he does win a 5 round war, people will then say "yeah but it was only Nate Diaz, he's 19-10 and not even top 5 in LW division."

Worse, you'll have a sizeable amount of people saying Nate threw the fight to get a trilogy. Which is, of course, mind bendingly silly.

If he does lose, he's got 1 avenue left which is Aldo. His reputation will take a massive hit, as will John Kavanaghs. The timing of Win Or Learn was a gamble and 100% reliant on Conor winning. The book and, even, the philosophy will be pilloried if he loses.

There's only one real scenario where a win is a genuine win in terms of his career and star power - and that's coming thru a Lawler-MacDonald style 5 round war or a 5 round demolition of Nate Diaz.

I don't think Conor gives a shít about people who say the Aldo win was a lucky punch. He beat him, he got the belt, he's not going to concern himself with critics.

Imo he needs to win decisively in any way. Knockout, unanimous decision, whatever. Just to do what he set out to do which was establish himself as a threat in the weight class and set up something bigger down the line. A loss or split decision against Nate Diaz coming off a previous loss means he's still not quite impressing at 170 and he'll lose his appeal and bargaining power.

Win lose or draw he has to go back to fight Aldo. He can't walk away from that fight or he's screwed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

McGregor via Submission
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Another career conor has helped reach new heights.

When has Conor ever associated with Dan blizzarian? I don't remember ever anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    It appears from TicketMaster anyway that they've shifted another 1,500+ tickets in the past 36 hours.

There was around 2,700 available late thursday. Nowhere near that amount left now.

McGregor via Submission
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Used to like nate but they have gone down in my estimation.

Come on conor.

I was exactly the same.
    Couldn't see McGregor beating him.
    Nate and his crew would most likely kill if they were allowed to.

Really cheering McG on more than I ever have.

Its going to be an amazing fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Are the new rules/language that was put forward at the ABC convention in place for tonight or do they usually bring them in at the turn of the year?

Advertisement