Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Diaz via Submission

Analysis by Jack Slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor via Submission
    cloudatlas wrote: »

Jack Slack is my favorite teacher

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    OP updated with times etc - please just direct people to that, no need for smart comments etc as the night progresses and people ask

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Can someone more educated explain this? If the fight is at 170, how come Nate weighed in a half pound over?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Can someone more educated explain this? If the fight is at 170, how come Nate weighed in a half pound over?

For non title fights they're allowed to be a pound over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

No post event press conf tonight. Wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Diaz via Submission
    Nate and his crew would most likely kill if they were allowed to.

Yea sure a bunch of vegan, pot heads who help out in the community teaching kids martial arts would most likely want to do that... get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    zuutroy wrote: »

It actually took me a minute to realise why.

:ermm:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Is that definite,i never heard that myself,if true it must be a first at least in modern UFC times.

Don't see why you wouldn't have one,the fuss and bravado will be gone after the fight since the tickets are long sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

McGregor via Submission
    newbbieb wrote: »

Is that definite,i never heard that myself,if true it must be a first at least in modern UFC times.

Don't see why you wouldn't have one,the fuss and bravado will be gone after the fight since the tickets are long sold.

Helwani confirmation https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/767079022928900096

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

was it Conor Wallace that got hit by the coffee that Jake Shields threw?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

McGregor via KO/TKO
    UFC must be expecting a McGregor win so 😀 No way the SBG lads would instigate a brawl.

I guess they must expect a Conor win,because if Diaz wins these guys will be best friends afterwards,if Conor wins i guess the Diaz camp could set about building the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So what's the gut feeling here??

Haven't been following the thread sorry. Have my alarm set for 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission

diaz in the thumbnail aswel! will the post-fight-presser-thumbnail curse strike again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Surprised to see that a lot of the poll are going for Conor by KO.

If he couldn't do it the last time I doubt he'll do it this time. That Diaz lad has a head made of granite. You could box him about all day and he'd still come forward. He's like the terminator!!

Could be another humbling night for Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Select main carders will be chosen for a scrum interview. Sounds very strange altogether. Are they making it so other fighters actually get asked questions in order to increase their value by giving them more exposure?

Also EIRE MUDDER****EEEERS!

Conor's gonna burst Nate open, 3rd round ko.

Will be such a great night if he can pull it off. The tears on the yank mma forums will be delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So what will happen if Conor looses??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Paddy power has an offer on mcg to win in the first 3 rounds, think it's 3/1 and max bet is 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

isit only BT sports 2 that are showing this fight live?

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Select main carders will be chosen for a scrum interview. Sounds very strange altogether. Are they making it so other fighters actually get asked questions in order to increase their value by giving them more exposure?

Also EIRE MUDDER****EEEERS!

Conor's gonna burst Nate open, 3rd round ko.

Will be such a great night if he can pull it off. The tears on the yank mma forums will be delicious.

No doubt it would be something if he pulls it off in any way whatsoever,i think if he wins this fight he cements himself into legendary status.

But unfortunately there is a reason basically 100 percent of fighters pick Diaz no doubt some of it is patriotism from the yanks and some of it jealousy about the money Conor is taking in,but its such a tough fight for Conor i believe its probably the worst match up for him from 145 to 155.

Literally every fighter from 145 to 155 has a smaller reach than Conor,also Nate is just about the only fighter in the two divisions that might be better everywhere to Conor,most of the other fighters are either better on the ground with worse stand up,or not better anywhere,Nate arguably has better hands than Conor along with the longer reach and at least 10 pounds on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

What day is the fight on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

LaGlisse wrote:
    What day is the fight on?

Sunday morning 5amish IST (Tonight)

McGregor via Submission
    Will make it all the sweeter when he wins (really need to stay positive tonight :)).

Sorry if already posted but this is a great video. Great to see Ariel so happy and excited. Even Ramondi and Shaun look to be having a great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    mfceiling wrote: »
    If he couldn't do it the last time I doubt he'll do it this time.

In fairness it was McGregor's first ever welterweight bout and taken on short notice. Yeah I know Diaz took the fight on short notice too but he has fought at welterweight before and won twice. Just feel that there were good solid reasons for why Conor would not have been seen to his best in that fight. He was a little complacent also given that he underestimated Nate.

Lots of reasons to expect a much better performance from McGregor tonight for me.

McGregor via Submission
    Yupp, if he doesn't win tonight because he gets tired, outboxed, outgrappled, then he has to call it quits at 170. It's a possibility that Conor can win the LW belt and give Nate the first shot. Would make all kinds of money. But yeah, he had legit reasons/excuses for losing last time, this time not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

newbbieb wrote: »
    No doubt it would be something if he pulls it off in any way whatsoever,i think if he wins this fight he cements himself into legendary status.

But unfortunately there is a reason basically 100 percent of fighters pick Diaz no doubt some of it is patriotism from the yanks and some of it jealousy about the money Conor is taking in,but its such a tough fight for Conor i believe its probably the worst match up for him from 145 to 155.

Literally every fighter from 145 to 155 has a smaller reach than Conor,also Nate is just about the only fighter in the two divisions that might be better everywhere to Conor,most of the other fighters are either better on the ground with worse stand up,or not better anywhere,Nate arguably has better hands than Conor along with the longer reach and at least 10 pounds on him.

Diaz is obviously a good striker but he does not have better hands than Conor. The problem in this match up is that Nate is taller and longer and has a very effective one-two. In terms of boxing, Nate is not on Conor's level and tends to slap at times (not talking about the Stockton slap, talking about technique). Obviously he can still finish Conor on the feet, I'm just saying he's not better than Conor everywhere.

Still think Nate takes this again, although I desperately hope I am wrong.

In fairness it was McGregor's first ever welterweight bout and taken on short notice. Yeah I know Diaz took the fight on short notice too but he has fought at welterweight before and won twice. Just feel that there were good solid reasons for why Conor would not have been seen to his best in that fight. He was a little complacent also given that he underestimated Nate.

Lots of reasons to expect a much better performance from McGregor tonight for me.

I think you make solid points,about the weight,just the only problem is Conor is not or never gonna be a legit WW,he isn't big enough and he just gave Nate half a year to solidify himself in the weight where he should probably be fighting given his size,so while Conor definitely will have improved,so will Nate and he will also have got bigger and the task in front of him is equally if not more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp, if he doesn't win tonight because he gets tired, outboxed, outgrappled, then he has to call it quits at 170. It's a possibility that Conor can win the LW belt and give Nate the first shot. Would make all kinds of money. But yeah, he had legit reasons/excuses for losing last time, this time not so much.

To be fair, he needs to forget about 170 after this regardless. Unless he goes out and destroys Diaz over 5 rounds, he needs to forget it. Even then, he has no chance of taking out anyone in the top 10 of 170.

If he can make 145 he needs to do that (I have my doubts), if not then 155 is the only spot for him but also a loaded division. He can definitely take out a lot of 155ers though, and if Eddie Alvarez decides to put his money where his mouth is and stand with Conor if they meet, I would not be surprised to see him being put to sleep.

• Advertisement

moneyman wrote: »
    Diaz is obviously a good striker but he does not have better hands than Conor. The problem in this match up is that Nate is taller and longer and has a very effective one-two. In terms of boxing, Nate is not on Conor's level and tends to slap at times (not talking about the Stockton slap, talking about technique). Obviously he can still finish Conor on the feet, I'm just saying he's not better than Conor everywhere.

Still think Nate takes this again, although I desperately hope I am wrong.

I did say arguabaly and personally i would agree Conor has better stand up all things being equal,but given an extra two inch reach plus a few inches of height i think it makes it a lot closer,and in terms of mma stand up Nates is still pretty good.

Advertisement