Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

newbbieb wrote: »
    I did say arguabaly and personally i would agree Conor has better stand up all things being equal,but given an extra two inch reach plus a few inches of height i think it makes it a lot closer,and in terms of mma stand up Nates is still pretty good.

Completely agree, and Nate is arguably a more effective striker especially in this match-up. I was talking purely in terms of technique and skill, which is somewhat negated due to Nate's reach. Nate obviously is still one of the best strikers in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Diaz via Decision
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Used to like nate but they have gone down in my estimation.

Come on conor.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Maybe cause he showed his true colours?

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

moneyman wrote: »
    Completely agree, and Nate is arguably a more effective striker especially in this match-up. I was talking purely in terms of technique and skill, which is somewhat negated due to Nate's reach. Nate obviously is still one of the best strikers in MMA.

Yeah its unfortunate that Conor went after this fight in the first place because while everyone was saying avoid Khabib avoid RDA etc which might be wise i think he probably takes RDA and not Khabib,but either way when Nate done the call out after the Johnson win,i was hoping they never fight because i knew this was probably his worst match up.

The wrestlers,while might be able to dominate him,at least he has that big left hand and that big reach advantage over them,so he is significantly better than them in one area whereas Nate he doesn't have any ways to win imo,i think he needs close to a miracle to win this fight and i do hope i am totally wrong.

I guess a bit of hope is that with the long build up Nate chokes somewhat under the pressure,i think that is definitely something that could happen,he seems to need his guys around him and this will definitely feel more intense for him given it wasn't short notice like last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Select main carders will be chosen for a scrum interview. Sounds very strange altogether. Are they making it so other fighters actually get asked questions in order to increase their value by giving them more exposure?

The reason there is no post-fight presser is the same reason that Canelo had to do his post-fight presser in the ring at the T-Mobile arena...

The dedicated media room at the T-Mobile arena is not finished. I.e. it's still under construction.

According to Las Vegas Review Journal it will be finished in time for Hockey season.

Whatever that means!

Slightly surprising but then again they were committed to having the arena done in time for July so they just prioritised.

The UFC200 Post Fight Presser was basically done in a makeshift room. It had less media present.

And lastly it didn't have Nate Diaz and half of Stockton present.

So it's a combination of not having a big enough room, and probably wanting to avoid having the 2 camps anywhere near each other post-fight.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

giphy.gif

Because Conor McGregor is such a classy guy.

I personally hope he gets the head slapped off him.

Mod: Fighter bashing/trolling..give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    The reason there is no post-fight presser is the same reason that Canelo had to do his post-fight presser in the ring at the T-Mobile arena...

The dedicated media room at the T-Mobile arena is not finished. I.e. it's still under construction.

According to Las Vegas Review Journal it will be finished in time for Hockey season.

Whatever that means!

Slightly surprising but then again they were committed to having the arena done in time for July so they just prioritised.

The UFC200 Post Fight Presser was basically done in a makeshift room. It had less media present.

And lastly it didn't have Nate Diaz and half of Stockton present.

So it's a combination of not having a big enough room, and probably wanting to avoid having the 2 camps anywhere near each other post-fight.

was 200 not in the t-mobile? they had a presser for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Diaz via Submission
    Depp wrote: »
    was 200 not in the t-mobile? they had a presser for that

He mentioned 200 in the post, it was done in a makeshift room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Faugheen wrote: »
    Because Conor McGregor is such a classy guy.

I personally hope he gets the head slapped off him.

Of course you do. Takes some amount of pettiness to actively seek out a forum to s**t on someone in a sport you don't follow.

I understand not liking Conor's antics, but he's not stupid, and it's made him one of the richest UFC fighters in history, and such a big name that he has the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo dropping by his gym to meet him. Let that sink in. I think he will lose tonight, but maybe think about why he's doing what he's doing. He's far smarter than you give him credit for.

I'm proud of Conor and happy to have him representing us, even if I don't agree with 100% of what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Diaz via Decision

giphy.gif
    Maybe because its a stunt to sell more tickets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Someone threw another scenario into the mix today...Nate gets stopped because too many cuts!

moneyman wrote: »
    Of course you do. Takes some amount of pettiness to actively seek out a forum to s**t on someone in a sport you don't follow.

I understand not liking Conor's antics, but he's not stupid, and it's made him one of the richest UFC fighters in history, and such a big name that he has the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo dropping by his gym to meet him. Let that sink in. I think he will lose tonight, but maybe think about why he's doing what he's doing. He's far smarter than you give him credit for.

I'm proud of Conor and happy to have him representing us, even if I don't agree with 100% of what he says.

Don't tell me what sports I do and don't follow ever again. You haven't the slightest clue about me.

I don't post much here because of fanboys like yourself.

I appreciate what he's done to get himself where he is, but the act needs to be scaled down. Talking about killing Diaz, his crew and their 'bitch' kids? The man only a number of months ago witnessed a fighter die in the octagon at the hands of one of his proteges.

What I dislike is how people think he should be hailed as this Ambassador for Ireland. I'd much rather have the likes of the O'Donovan brothers, Thomas Barr, Annalise Murphy being hailed in such a vein. People who've gone to Rio, worked hard and come back as National heroes, and they did it with class.

And then, if I speak out against him, I don't have a clue. Feck that, I know just as much as anybody here to form my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Nate had to throw the bottle. Conor said you'll do nothing i.e. You're selling wolf tickets. And anyone who knows those rascal Diaz brothers, they do not sell wolf tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

oh man, when this rematch was first announced i had no idea i would be this hyped come fight night. gonna be f###ing epic!

Don't tell me what sports I do and don't follow ever again. You haven't the slightest clue about me.

I don't post much here because of fanboys like yourself.

I appreciate what he's done to get himself where he is, but the act needs to be scaled down. Talking about killing Diaz, his crew and their 'bitch' kids? The man only a number of months ago witnessed a fighter die in the octagon at the hands of one of his proteges.

What I dislike is how people think he should be hailed as this Ambassador for Ireland. I'd much rather have the likes of the O'Donovan brothers, Thomas Barr, Annalise Murphy being hailed in such a vein. People who've gone to Rio, worked hard and come back as National heroes, and they did it with class.

And then, if I speak out against him, I don't have a clue. Feck that, I know just as much as anybody here to form my own opinion.

if you don't think conor has worked hard to be where he is you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

froog wrote: »
    if you don't think conor has worked hard to be where he is you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Point out where I said he didn't please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    Folks...cut out the bull****..

This I know more than you because I post here nonsense, fighter bashing, trolling. Everyone wants to watch the fight, if you come on here to just troll or fighter bash or drop in to give your two cents on how much you hate a fighter save me some time and dont bother posting. If you want to discuss the fight like an adult fine, if you want to act a child do it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    This is EXACTLY what i think will happen

https://twitter.com/Pendred/status/767090799196704768

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Some day we might realise an Irish ufc champion doesn't happen much.

Probably wait forever to happen again.

Why can't we just support our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission

The only fly in that ointment is that if he is given the Alvarez fight, he will have to vacate his fw belt and so won't be holding the two belts at the same time.

It's certainly plausible though but I still think he fights Aldo next win or lose tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

The hostility on this thread is just incredible - not really sure why it is like this but it is quite nasty.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Some day we might realise an Irish ufc champion doesn't happen much.

Probably wait forever to happen again.

Why can't we just support our own.

It doesn't, and like I said, fair play to him for what he's achieved.

However, just because he's Irish doesn't mean I should get behind him.

He's a horrible individual, I've already gone into the reasons why I think so, and there's more, but I might get a thread ban so I won't go too much more into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Haven't been this emotionally invested in an Irish sportsperson in a very long time, I'm sick with the nerves. Will be chaotic scenes here if he takes this one! :D

Just lumped 100 on Diaz to soften the blow if he wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It doesn't, and like I said, fair play to him for what he's achieved.

However, just because he's Irish doesn't mean I should get behind him.

He's a horrible individual, I've already gone into the reasons why I think so, and there's more, but I might get a thread ban so I won't go too much more into it.

Horrible like?

Why not tell us?

Mod: When I tell people to cut it out do not try goading people into getting in further trouble..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission

The one comparison you didn't make of the Olympians you named, and should have, is Michael Conlan.

He often talks about "boxing the ears off", "destroying", "bating the head off" opponents.

I.e. He's in a combat entertainment sport. Just like Conor. He can't go pus*yfooting around with his words before a fight. Nate Diaz slogan is "Kill or be Killed".

If you're suggesting for one moment that Conor McGregor actually wants to see Nate Diaz dead, or vice versa, then you need a head check.

This is a combat sport. Whilst i'm sure the majority of us are proud of Carl Frampton, Conor McGregor, Bernard Dunne, Michael Carruth, Barry McGuigan etc, at the end of the day those boys are all fighters.

Any parent wanting a fighter to be a role model or ambassador for their kids or country needs to get a grip. Every one of those named fighters hated school, were always getting in scraps, and got sick of it and got really good at a combat sport so they could handle themselves.

They're fighters.

Anyway that's my last impassioned defence of Conor done for the night.....time to rip his head off, let's go!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Diaz via Decision
    So anyway...

Whats the fight to watch in the prelims other than Lobov v Avila ? Any up and comers making waves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Diaz via Decision

I don't think the UFC would need much convincing. Will all depend on how much damage McGegor takes tonight though.

The one comparison you didn't make of the Olympians you named, and should have, is Michael Conlan.

He often talks about "boxing the ears off", "destroying", "bating the head off" opponents.

That I don't have an issue with. In fact, I laughed when after losing to Diaz, McGregor was talking about Jose Aldo's tweets and it being 'about time I shut him up once and for all'.
    I.e. He's in a combat entertainment sport. Just like Conor. He can't go pus*yfooting around with his words before a fight. Nate Diaz slogan is "Kill or be Killed".

So Nate has gone to Brazil and told the Brazilians he'd shoot up a favela? He's called people 'cholos' and 'eses'? Has Conlan done that? No he hasn't.
    If you're suggesting for one moment that Conor McGregor actually wants to see Nate Diaz dead, or vice versa, then you need a head check.

Don't put words in my mouth, it doesn't suit you.

I made the point that McGregor's using this language only months after one of his protege's actually killed someone (accidently, before you imply I think he murdered him). How would you feel if you were that man's family, listening to McGregor talk about how Joao Carvalho's death affected him, then turning around another day and throwing that bile out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Diaz via Submission

giphy.gif

Yeah McGregor throwing full cans of monster energy drink is fine

• Advertisement

So anyway...

Whats the fight to watch in the prelims other than Lobov v Avila ? Any up and comers making waves ?

i'm looking forward to cody garbrandt's fight, he's a decent exciting fighter against a veteran and very tough brawler type with an iron chin. i also think cody's a tool and want to see him beat!

Advertisement