Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    bur wrote: »
    I don't think the UFC would need much convincing.

I can't back this up as i can't find the link i need but i read somewhere that Conor sold more PPV for 189/194/196 than Aldos 9 UFC fights combined. Something like 3.96 million PPV v 3.3 million. I'll try dig it out if i can.

Whether that's true or not, point is Aldo doesn't have a whole lot of leverage here. Conor will have a truck load with a win.

It'd be pretty hard to deny him Alvarez if he pushes it.

The issue i forsee, in an absolute dream world, if Conors next 2 fights are wins (nate, eddie), i truly in my heart of hearts think he's gonna go straight after the WW title.

Conors track record is of winning belts not defending them. At some point that has to change but i think he has such innate confidence and self-belief that he thinks he could take the 170lb strap too. The lure of being a once-in-a-lifetime triple-weight world champion would be too much to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Faugheen wrote: »
    That I don't have an issue with. In fact, I laughed when after losing to Diaz, McGregor was talking about Jose Aldo's tweets and it being 'about time I shut him up once and for all'.

So Nate has gone to Brazil and told the Brazilians he'd shoot up a favela? He's called people 'cholos' and 'eses'? Has Conlan done that? No he hasn't.

Don't put words in my mouth, it doesn't suit you.

I made the point that McGregor's using this language only months after one of his protege's actually killed someone (accidently, before you imply I think he murdered him). How would you feel if you were that man's family, listening to McGregor talk about how Joao Carvalho's death affected him, then turning around another day and throwing that bile out there?

you sound a bit too sensitive for MMA to be honest.

olympic showjumping is that way ->

Mod: I already gave multiple warnings on thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Diaz via Decision
    BTW if anyone is planning on ordering some food you can order from Marvin.ie (using a CC) and use the code "UFC202" for 15% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    froog wrote: »
    i'm looking forward to cody garbrandt's fight, he's a decent exciting fighter against a veteran and very tough brawler type with an iron chin. i also think cody's a tool and want to see him beat!

no love for no love? :D looking forward to this one alright but id like to see cody doing well, seems like an alright chap with bags of potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Don't tell me what sports I do and don't follow ever again. You haven't the slightest clue about me.

I don't post much here because of fanboys like yourself.

I appreciate what he's done to get himself where he is, but the act needs to be scaled down. Talking about killing Diaz, his crew and their 'bitch' kids? The man only a number of months ago witnessed a fighter die in the octagon at the hands of one of his proteges.

What I dislike is how people think he should be hailed as this Ambassador for Ireland. I'd much rather have the likes of the O'Donovan brothers, Thomas Barr, Annalise Murphy being hailed in such a vein. People who've gone to Rio, worked hard and come back as National heroes, and they did it with class.

And then, if I speak out against him, I don't have a clue. Feck that, I know just as much as anybody here to form my own opinion.

Honestly I'm not going to argue with you, I won't change your mind. A very quick search of your post history shows that you're typical anti-McGregor rhetoric that is as predictable as it comes. I don't blame you for disliking Conor, he's not everyone's cup of tea. The problem is your arguments are so easily refuted. For some reason, you've taken his material hook, line and sinker. More money for him.

I don't think every Irish person should see him as an ambassador for he country, far from it. I can see why people wouldn't like him. What I don't understand is why people would actively seek out a forum to criticise him. It's weird to me, but each to their own.

BTW, all the olympic lads you mentioned are fanastic. I don't see why they should be mutually exclusive due to their personalities. I know absolutely nothing about rowing but was completely endeared to the O'Donovan brothers (as was Conor btw) due to their Irishness and personality. Great lads who did us all proud.

I don't want to waste tonight arguing, we won't agree. Conor's not perfect but at the end of he day he's a decent chap who has done far more good than bad. I don't favour im tonight but hope I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Diaz via Submission
    So anyway...

Whats the fight to watch in the prelims other than Lobov v Avila ? Any up and comers making waves ?

Magny fight will be good he's always in exciting fights!! He's 10-1 since 2014 only losing to Maia he's a legend.

McGregor via Submission

So Nate has gone to Brazil and told the Brazilians he'd shoot up a favela? He's called people 'cholos' and 'eses'? Has Conlan done that? No he hasn't.

I made the point that McGregor's using this language only months after one of his protege's actually killed someone (accidently, before you imply I think he murdered him). How would you feel if you were that man's family, listening to McGregor talk about how Joao Carvalho's death affected him, then turning around another day and throwing that bile out there?

"if this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback, and would kill anyone who wasn't fit to work, but we're in a new time, so I'll whoop his ass instead."

Try not put words in Conors mouths. What he said was no different to saying if it were a different time i'd ride into battle with William Wallace on the battlefields and kill anybody who stood in my way. You make it sound like he's got a Glock in his pocket threatening to do it.

It's humour.

Cholo and Ese ......not even the Mexicans agree on whether they are offensive or not. Some find it offensive, others don't.

Nate and Aldo both used McGregors Irishness for insults. Some of us find it offensive, most don't.

As for Joao Carvahlo - 1. wait for the inquest. There's still no 100% proof of why he died. We all assume blunt force head trauma. May not be the case. 2. Joaos family, brother especially, were proud of him being a fighter and warrior. They insisted the show go on. And i'm sure they'd understand it's all tongue-in-cheek.

Right, instead of this i'm gonna get back to being super excited about the fights.

Whatever happens tonight, i just hope to God that Mike Perry is knocked out by Lim for what he did at the weigh ins.

That's all i gotta say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Despite everything I've said, I do think this will be an all out war.

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not cool. Knock his head off Lim!

• Advertisement

Despite everything I've said, I do think this will be an all out war.

At least we can agree on that. Let's hope it's a great card. Cannot wait, very nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

McGregor via Submission
    is Nick banned from nates corner tonight lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

John Kavanagh: I'm not gonna lie to you Conor. There's a good chance you can beat Diaz. You've just gotta visualise how you're gonna win.

Mc_Gregor_Simpsons.png

A CONGENITAL HEART DEFECT HAS APPARENTLY FELLED DIAZ MOMENTS BEFORE HE COULD STEP INTO THE RING.

McGregor via Submission
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    is Nick banned from nates corner tonight lads ?

Not banned to best of knowledge but he owes Nevada State Athletic Commission 75 grand.

If he pays it, he can corner (as far as everyone knows).

If he doesn't pay it, then no.

As of right now, he hasn't paid it - at least nobody has reported it being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Someone help me out please

Can't get the fight on ufc tv, says content blocked.

Can't get bt , just won't let me subscribe online.

Is there another way to watch the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Jaysus I forgot how f**king mental this place got for McGregor fights! :eek::D

*Decides to goto bar & logs out* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

McGregor via Submission
    So Conor wins tonight, then beats aldo, then beats Eddie and finnaly fights Nate for his first successful defense of the lw belt before retiring a rich and happy man. Carlsberg don't do mma careers but .....

Come on Conor!!! It's gonna be epic

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Papav3r

how.gareth wrote: »
    So Conor wins tonight, then beats aldo, then beats Eddie and finnaly fights Nate for his first successful defense of the lw belt before retiring a rich and happy man. Carlsberg don't do mma careers but .....

Come on Conor!!! It's gonna be epic

Think Khabib might get to Eddie before Conor.

McGregor via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    Jaysus I forgot how f**king mental this place got for McGregor fights! :eek::D

*Decides to goto bar & logs out* ;)

Pace yourself down the boozer......

We all know what happens when you overload on the left hand too early.... sleepy time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

JustTheOne wrote: »

Why can't we just support our own.

Joe Duffy posts on Instagram about being back home in Donegal and his post gets 300 likes. Mcg posts a picture of one if his watches to insta and gets over 1million.

Pity the fanboys only hear the loudest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Pace yourself down the boozer......

We all know what happens when you overload on the left hand too early.... sleepy time :)

ssheeeeeiiiiitttttttttttttt you say that like I'm not well used to this type of madness :pac:

My preparation for tonight has been superb. Rounds on rounds on ROUNDS! Stamina coming out me eyeballs and no playing touch butt in the park either, well not for training purposes anyway :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

McGregor via Submission
    getting absolutly inebriated for tonights fight :D and have a match at 10am in the morning :) dedication for Conor right there :D

JJayoo wrote: »
    Joe Duffy posts on Instagram about being back home in Donegal and his post gets 300 likes. Mcg posts a picture of one if his watches to insta and gets over 1million.

Pity the fanboys only hear the loudest

Not entirely fair though JJ. I have not met an Irish person that dislikes Joe yet (of the ones that even know who he is). Duffy is a serious fighter and people like him. He obviously just doesn't have the appeal/marketing that Conor does.

I do agree with you generally though. Duffy should be getting a lot more attention. But as we all know, charisma and marketability play a huge part in these things. Joe couldn't draw in a lot of these fans - although he may have done so if he'd made UFC before Conor. Who knows. I hope they both go as far as they can. Very happy to have two very, very legit fighters in the UFC. No one would have even dreamed of this 10 years ago.

McGregor via Submission
    Nice to see Joanna rocking her Conor t-shirt

https://twitter.com/joannamma/status/766965954542768128

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

rottie 11 wrote: »
    ??

BT Sports is the only official way to watch it in Ireland.

Why did they do that?

I'm after linking my sky card with someone elses Eir Sports package that they weren't using. You could do that.

McGregor via Submission
    moneyman wrote: »
    Not entirely fair though JJ. I have not met an Irish person that dislikes Joe yet (of the ones that even know who he is). Duffy is a serious fighter and people like him. He obviously just doesn't have the appeal/marketing that Conor does.

I do agree with you generally though. Duffy should be getting a lot more attention. But as we all know, charisma and marketability play a huge part in these things. Joe couldn't draw in a lot of these fans - although he may have done so if he'd made UFC before Conor. Who knows. I hope they both go as far as they can. Very happy to have two very, very legit fighters in the UFC. No one would have even dreamed of this 10 years ago.

Part of the reason for that is that Conor stayed local and has voiced his patriotism, loyalty and love for Dublin (mind you, he is technically living in Kildare but we'll overlook that for a sec :D ). People like that sort of thing in general. A local lad who gets rich and famous but stays close to his roots.

Joe heading off to Canada might have been a good career move but it diminishes his visibility and profile around here.

Bottom line, he just has to keep winning. The loss to Poirier was a big setback. Keep winning now and good things will come.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    There is a whole thread on viewing options..no need to be discussing it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057631799

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

moneyman wrote: »
    Not entirely fair though JJ. I have not met an Irish person that dislikes Joe yet (of the ones that even know who he is.

Wasn't too long ago that McG was slagging him, calling him fake, saying he was trying to capitalise of his success and that he wasn't Irish, that he was Welsh Joe Duffy and Canadian Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I would love to see Conor win so the hype train can get back on track, he is great entertainment. But i just can't see him winning.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Wasn't too long ago that McG was slagging him, calling him fake, saying he was trying to capitalise of his success and that he wasn't Irish, that he was Welsh Joe Duffy and Canadian Joe Duffy.

Of course, but that's Conor. I wasn't doubting that Conor slags him (although I do think Conor has a respect for him, same as he clearly has for Nate). I was commenting on the fans in general. To be completely honest, Joe probably wouldn't have returned to MMA unless he saw how successful Conor was. That's not an insult - I just mean that Joe probably realised how seriously good he is, and that he can make it in the UFC, which he clearly can, when he saw Conor becoming a superstar.

I don't think the Poirier loss was a big set-back. Set back yes, but how big? Joe has been awesome in all of his fights bar that one, and it was a close fight. Poirier is a very tough cookie. Joe is seriously well rounded and talented, and I think he can break top 10 with more experience at LW, and really who knows after that.

Advertisement