Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engagement ring shopping

• 14-08-2016 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I became engaged recently and now we are starting to look into engagement ring shopping! Looking for tips or recommendations on where to look. We live in Dublin, and have a smallish budget. Have been looking online but can't see anything I love.

Also.....stupid question probably....do you need to make appointments to see rings or can you just walk in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭recipesforme

HI,

in my experience, with the high street jewelers you can walk in no problem. We did the Grafton street area on a Saturday and had no issues anywhere.

For places like Loyes diamonds and Voltaire, you do need to book but they open late Thurdays and Sunday too. And don't be put off by the appointment aspect of it. You're put under no pressure to buy there and then, They'll send you an email with a quote and most places will be able to work within the budget you set (just make sure you specify from the get-go!)
    Happy ring hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shellycub

Thank you, that was pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear! Just have to wait to the weekend now!!

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Many thanks for the mention recipesforme, I really appreciate it.

Hi Shellycub, congratulations on your engagement, we would be delighted to meet with you. We are located just off the top of Grafton Street. We have many styles available immediately. If you have a specific style in mind, our workshop can easily handmake it for you.

Please have a look at our Youtube channel where you will see several styles from our unique collection:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VoltaireDiamonds/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=1

You can call us on 016778449 to book an appointment.

Many thanks
    Seamus

http://www.voltairediamonds.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Another mention for Voltaire Diamonds! I got my ring back in March and they were a pleasure to deal with, especially Sarah. There's no pressure to buy at the appointment and they had lots of rings to choose from within our budget. We'll definitely be back to get our wedding bands there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 apple2013

We got mine from Martin in Bespoke Diamonds. They've so many rings in stock and are happy to get the best gems for your budget. I adore mine and really liked the fact that he listened to us and didn't keep bringing out rings that were just beyond the budget or different cuts to what I had in mind. Very matter of fact, with no B.S! I 110% recommend. Happy shopping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Could you get away with a budget of about €1000 do you think without it looking like a toy or microscopic stone?

Absolutely! A lot depends on the colour, clarity etc of the stone. If you're not too fussed about the "calibre" then you can get a lovely looking ring for €1000. It just depends on the standard of stone in it. And to most untrained eyes you can't tell the difference (no matter what you might hear)

Absolutely! A lot depends on the colour, clarity etc of the stone. If you're not too fussed about the "calibre" then you can get a lovely looking ring for €1000. It just depends on the standard of stone in it. And to most untrained eyes you can't tell the difference (no matter what you might hear)

Good to hear, anywhere in Dublin you'd recommend?

I obviously don't want something thats so weak it'll break or crack the first time she hits her hand off something etc.

I would really have to recommend Loyes on Baggot Street - we just got our rings there. They explain everything to you, no pressure, no fuss. And even if you don't buy from there they'll give you a good idea of the type of ring you might want, the different settings and metals.
    Barry is a very approachable man and and is very happy to share his knowledge.
    Another recommendation (but a bit further out) is a man called Willie Rabbit. he works from his home in Longford but makes the rings for a well-know high street jeweler. He's a pleasure to deal with and will work within any budget you set him. You do have to travel though.
    If you want his details just PM and I'll send them on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Try Martin gear in mary st.., very good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Rocks jewellers on grafton st, excellent to deal with I would highly recommend them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

We visited Voltaire Diamond, Martin in Bespoke diamonds and Tom De Burghs of Diamond. I would recommend going to them all - we went with Tom as we got a lovely diamond with the perfect setting but I was very impressed with both Voltaire and Martin. In particular, we went to Martin for an evening appointment and there was no rush. He shows you everything and has a wide range for all budgets. Voltaire was good too - it didn't have what we were looking for but again, it has a range and budget to suit all.

Congratulations and happy shopping!

ananas wrote: »
    We visited Voltaire Diamond, Martin in Bespoke diamonds and Tom De Burghs of Diamond. I would recommend going to them all - we went with Tom as we got a lovely diamond with the perfect setting but I was very impressed with both Voltaire and Martin. In particular, we went to Martin for an evening appointment and there was no rush. He shows you everything and has a wide range for all budgets. Voltaire was good too - it didn't have what we were looking for but again, it has a range and budget to suit all.

Congratulations and happy shopping!

Would you mind me asking what your budget was, you could pm me if you preferred or not, just trying to get a general idea of numbers, been asking few people similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

We bought in Voltaire this Christmas. Would definitely recommend them to anyone. They made the experience really special. If you want more detail PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

my dad is in the jewellery business so i had mine made but one thing he always advices people is to avoid the big flashy shops such as appleby's etc! You pay a lot more in there due to their high rent costs of a big shop in that location you will often get nicer ring for less money in a smaller shop.

Jen44 wrote: »
    my dad is in the jewellery business so i had mine made but one thing he always advices people is to avoid the big flashy shops such as appleby's etc! You pay a lot more in there due to their high rent costs of a big shop in that location you will often get nicer ring for less money in a smaller shop.

Hi Jen, can you advise of a few places to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

We bought ours in Matthew Stephens in Limerick and I think it is worth a trip. I must have tried on a hundred rings within our budget. Best selection I've seen. I called ahead and they spent 2 hours with us and really didn't put any pressure on us to buy. They held the ring for me for two weeks during which I shopped around and didn't find a price that was even nearly as good as what I got there. Fantastic service, prices and selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hi folks. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I'm trying to get an idea of a budget for a ring....and a few other hints

I'm planning on buying a token ring (one that's too ugly for her to insist on keeping as the real ring) and arranging a visit to Voltaire and/or Bespoke Diamonds together.

I'm using appleby.com to get an idea of what we could get in the [redacted] range. Would appleby be a reasonable gauge of what I could expect from a broker in Dublin? Or would they be cheaper / more expensive?

She wouldn't like anything ostentatious, so I'm thinking a trilogy diamond set in or around .75ct, with cut being prioritised over size (but obviously it's entirely up to her). Am I being realistic with my budget? I can go higher, but she'd kill me if she knew. Like I said she's the type of girl who'd insist on keeping the promise ring...one of the many reasons I love her.

I'll have to see one in person, and I know it's very subjective, but would a .75ct trilogy (that's the sum of the three diamonds....I think) generally be considered to be on the tasteful side of ostentatious?

Finally, I think she'd prefer gold or rose gold, which from the bit of research I've done seems very unusual. Would places like Voltaire be able to facilitate that?

Please help. I'm clueless.

Evil_g wrote: »
    Hi folks. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I'm trying to get an idea of a budget for a ring....and a few other hints

I'm planning on buying a token ring (one that's too ugly for her to insist on keeping as the real ring) and arranging a visit to Voltaire and/or Bespoke Diamonds together.

I'm using appleby.com to get an idea of what we could get in the [redacted] range. Would appleby be a reasonable gauge of what I could expect from a broker in Dublin? Or would they be cheaper / more expensive?

She wouldn't like anything ostentatious, so I'm thinking a trilogy diamond set in or around .75ct, with cut being prioritised over size (but obviously it's entirely up to her). Am I being realistic with my budget? I can go higher, but she'd kill me if she knew. Like I said she's the type of girl who'd insist on keeping the promise ring...one of the many reasons I love her.

I'll have to see one in person, and I know it's very subjective, but would a .75ct trilogy (that's the sum of the three diamonds....I think) generally be considered to be on the tasteful side of ostentatious?

Finally, I think she'd prefer gold or rose gold, which from the bit of research I've done seems very unusual. Would places like Voltaire be able to facilitate that?

Please help. I'm clueless.

I know from shopping extensively for my own that you will pay way above and beyond in Appleby so I wouldn't say that their website is indicative of the prices in Voltaire or Bespoke. Problem with Appleby is that you're paying for their Grafton St rents. I think that you will have no problem getting a 3 stone .75c ring for that budget. Also think it's a tasteful size.

I had my own ring valued at the weekend and the valuer spoke very highly of Bespoke. He said that the value and quality he sees coming in from there is top notch.

All of the websites tend to show the rings in white gold as it is the most popular choice. I was told when trying on rings that if I found one I liked it could be ordered in yellow, platinum or rose.

Best of luck with the proposal and ring shopping!

• Advertisement

paulers06 wrote: »
    I know from shopping extensively for my own that you will pay way above and beyond in Appleby so I wouldn't say that their website is indicative of the prices in Voltaire or Bespoke. Problem with Appleby is that you're paying for their Grafton St rents. I think that you will have no problem getting a 3 stone .75c ring for that budget. Also think it's a tasteful size.

I had my own ring valued at the weekend and the valuer spoke very highly of Bespoke. He said that the value and quality he sees coming in from there is top notch.

All of the websites tend to show the rings in white gold as it is the most popular choice. I was told when trying on rings that if I found one I liked it could be ordered in yellow, platinum or rose.

Best of luck with the proposal and ring shopping!

Thanks. That's great news about Appleby's prices in particular.

Any thoughts on the best place to get a token ring, getting close to the time now, only a few weeks out and would like to get one that would look, nice but not outshine the eventual (hopefully) real one.

Any thoughts on price too for a token?

My fiancé got me a lovely token ring in HS Samuel. I think it cost 100 euro and I loved it!
    You could even try Argos - they have plenty of nice looking rings that will look lovely until the real deal is bought

My fiancé got me a lovely token ring in HS Samuel. I think it cost 100 euro and I loved it!
    You could even try Argos - they have plenty of nice looking rings that will look lovely until the real deal is bought

Cool, whats the best bet for picking size, she has no rings i can borrow, and she'd cop it fairly quickly if i try to do anything to measure that finger :-)

rogercross wrote: »
    Cool, whats the best bet for picking size, she has no rings i can borrow, and she'd cop it fairly quickly if i try to do anything to measure that finger :-)

My fiance proposed with a token ring that was way too big but the jewellers swapped it for the right size afterwards. I'd check before you buy if you can change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Does she wear charm bracelets? An engagement ring charm would be a good option if she does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

We looked all over the country in various jewellers and goldsmiths and I couldn't find the type of ring I had in mind so one day I just googled it and I found it. I ordered it online from Serendipity Diamonds in the Isle of Wight in the UK. I could totally customise it as regards the clarity, carat, metal type I wanted and we are very happy with it and the service. They have mock-ups of their rings in silver and cubic zirconia which they send out for you to try on so you can really get a proper look at it before you buy, if you can't get to their shop in Ryde. It comes certified and we got a great deal on a ring that would probably have cost a lot more on the high street which we were warned against (ie Grafton Street prices). Voltaire was also recommended to me by several people.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Does she wear charm bracelets? An engagement ring charm would be a good option if she does

She does but I want to do the traditional ring in box thing really

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Hi Evil_g,

We would be delighted to meet with you. No problem with gold or rose gold. All our styles can be made in any metal you choose.

We are located just off the top of Grafton Street in private offices. See link below to our Google 360 tour:

http://www.voltairediamonds.ie/virtual-tour/

Please see link to our Youtube channel below where you will see lots of our styles in various metals also:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VoltaireDiamonds/videos?view=0&shelf_id=1&sort=dd

Please feel free to contact us if you would like to meet on 016778449.

Many thanks
    Séamus

• Advertisement

rogercross wrote: »

She does but I want to do the traditional ring in box thing really

You want to buy her an unattractive token ring so she doesn't want to keep it as her actual ring, but you don't know her ring size so you'll have to probably exchange ugly token ring for one that fits. Then you want to go actual ring shopping?

It seems unnecessarily complicated to me.....

You want to buy her an unattractive token ring so she doesn't want to keep it as her actual ring, but you don't know her ring size so you'll have to probably exchange ugly token ring for one that fits. Then you want to go actual ring shopping?

I didn't say unattractive ring just something nice that wont visually look nicer than a real one, be it stone size or style, i can figure that part out myself anyway.

As for the rest thats normal for most, my friends bought token rings then went actual shopping with their fiance at a later date, nothing complicated about that really.

I cant take her to shop for a real one prior to asking her :-)

I don't think most people exchange the token ring for another token ring. Especially if your purposely choosing one that won't be too nice.
    But good luck!

I think you're mixing us up. I'll figure out her ring size. I'll buy one of those sizers and measure a ring she wears on her middle finger and subtract half a size.

I don't think most people exchange the token ring for another token ring. Especially if your purposely choosing one that won't be too nice.
    But good luck!

I think you misunderstood as i never said i was going to exchange it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I get what you're saying OP. Sometimes when people buy a token from say swarovski and its a similar style to real engagement rings, like this for example;

http://www.swarovski.com/Web_IE/en/5139067/product/Attract_Round_Ring_.html

Buying that ring with real gold and real diamonds might then be beyond budget, so then the real ring can *seem* like a disappointment, so people say to be careful not to buy a token thats likely to look much flashier than what you can afford in the forever ring.

Theory is that you're better off to either get a very small/simple token ring, like this;

http://www.swarovski.com/Web_IE/en/5251689/product/Frisson_Ring.html

or something thats very distinctive or nontraditional, like this;

http://www.swarovski.com/Web_IE/en/5257532/product/Cosmic_Ring.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Loyes Diamonds: Barry

HI Evil_g

Here is a rings sizer to save you the bother

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057654840

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Be careful with Swarovski rings, some can't be resized and the place I bought mine wouldn't allow an exchange - for hygiene reasons and because the box was a little tarnished according to them. To me it was just a box ffs..quite annoying!

Buf if the token ring doesn't fit, Claire's Accessories have these clear plastic "snuggies" for €5 that attach to the bottom of the band to improve the fit. Worked a treat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: meathcat7, your post has been deleted for violating the following:
    If you want to post a recommendation, criticism or review of a wedding related business, you must have either:

a MINIMUM of 20 posts
    OR be an active member of Boards.ie for OVER 2 months

Please read the charter before posting again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I'm just wondering if anyone would know the best place to sell a diamond ring. I know they lose a lot of their value I'm just interested in the best place to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

I'm just wondering if anyone would know the best place to sell a diamond ring. I know they lose a lot of their value I'm just interested in the best place to sell it.

Any proper independent jeweller/goldsmith (not a high st chain) should be able to advise you. When we were getting our wedding rings, we went to Martin Gear in the Ilac (they are gone now, sadly) and sold my husband's previous wedding ring (and his ex-wife's!). They put the value then against the wedding rings we were buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

My boyfriend got me a Pandora ring for when he proposed a few weeks ago. It looks quite like a "real" diamond ring and I have to keep telling people it's not the real ring! I haven't got the real one yet (we've shopped twice and I think I've made my final decision but haven't ordered it yet!) People hear you're engaged and grab your hand and start cooing, in my experience anyway!! The Pandora ring was actually a size too small but they changed it no questions asked. I'll definitely keep it. He wanted to do the opening the box thing too and he also wanted me to have a ring to wear until we got the real one. Perfectly normal and I was chuffed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 slystone

Hi, I know you probably got sorted, but just wanted to add we had a lovely experience at Valentina Fine Diamonds in the Powerscourt Centre. Stephanie was exceptionally knowledgeable and patient and we ended up choosing a bespoke design. They were busy when we went so I would recommend booking an appointment beforehand on their website www.valentina.ie.

Advertisement