Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media on Windows Ext drive usable on Mac?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a 2TB external drive formatted to NTFS that I use for playing media on my Windows 7 machine. Will this drive work OK on a Mac or do Mac's require a different format?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

An NTFS disk will be read only on a MAC, so you will be able to copy stuff off it but not add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What file system do Mac use?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

jca wrote: »
    What file system do Mac use?

HFS+ I believe. Windows cannot read or write to HFS+ without special software. Macs should at least mount Windows NTFS partitions as read only fine (not sure about writing to them).

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

yoyo wrote: »
    HFS+ I believe. Windows cannot read or write to HFS+ without special software. Macs should at least mount Windows NTFS partitions as read only fine (not sure about writing to them).

Nick

Thanks for that.

Advertisement