Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC for Revit 2017 - Suggestions?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a computer for home as I have none at present. There's a good chance I'll use it for work, using Autocad and Revit. Also I'd like it to be somewhat future proof, (by which I mean capable of working comfortably for the next 3yrs anyway).

I get a bit lost and overwhelmed at all the choice and options out there. Can anybody suggest something? Min System requirements for the work I'd be doing ("complex models") are as below, I'd probably need to exceed minimum really for best performance? Also unfortunately I'll need 2 monitors, I often need an NWD file open on one while designing on the other. I'm probably looking at a hefty bottom line here aren't I??!

OS

Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1 64-bit:
    Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium

Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 64-bit:
    Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8.1

Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit:
    Enterprise, or Pro

CPU

Multi-Core Intel® Xeon®, or i-Series processor or AMD®equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.

Autodesk® Revit® software products will use multiple cores for many tasks, using up to 16 cores for near-photorealistic rendering operations. 

MEMORY
    16GB RAM

VIDEO DISPLAY
    1,920 x 1,200 or higher with true color
    DPI Display Setting: 150% or less

VIDEO ADAPTER
    DirectX® 11 capable graphics card with Shader Model 5 as recommended by Autodesk.

DISK SPACE
    5 GB free disk space10,000+ RPM (for Point Cloud interactions) or Solid State Drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd say you will be spending a lot on this machine. You would get the best value if you were willing to build it yourself, but I can appreciate that this isn't for everyone.

I'd be checking Dell desktops, aim for a core i7 processor and 16GB or RAM. And research the best value screens you can get as they wont be cheap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Yeah I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a cheap machine, self building may be a consideration alright. No experience at it but know there's lots of info on boards that'll be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a cheap machine, self building may be a consideration alright. No experience at it but know there's lots of info on boards that'll be very useful.

And it's also not too difficult. There's so many guides now that it should go pretty well! Worth weighing up the pros and cons.

Advertisement