Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook head Milkyway

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Was down at hook lighthouse twice this week and got some lovely clear nights to get some long exposures of the milky way.

Heres 2x3mins ( one tracked for stars and one not tracked for foreground which was being lit nicely by the lighthouse)
    394412.jpg

Hi res here..
    photostream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

did you use a telescope mount ? or one of of those camera mounts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

John mac wrote: »
    did you use a telescope mount ? or one of of those camera mounts ?

Hi John,

Nikon D610
    Samyang 24mm at f2 ISO 640 on a
    iOptron Skytracker .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ps200306

Excuse my ignorance, Iancar29, but what do you use to combine the tracked and untracked images?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

ps200306 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, Iancar29, but what do you use to combine the tracked and untracked images?

Normally, its done in photoshop using layer masks - hiding each portion of the two images that you dont want to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

For a 3 minute exposure how do you get it not to be too overexposed ?
    narrow aperture ?

I don't have a mount so I tend to use short (<30s) exposure + wide open aperture .. but even this I noticed could have the sky blown out ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

For a 3 minute exposure how do you get it not to be too overexposed ?
    narrow aperture ?

I don't have a mount so I tend to use short (<30s) exposure + wide open aperture .. but even this I noticed could have the sky blown out ..

If your in a good enough dark location and without a bright moon up you should are able to get a good few minutes without blowing out data. Heres a screen grab of the raw viewer.
    395951.jpg

As you can see the histogram is nicely centered in the middle, meaning i could gotten another few minutes easily ( if i had a accurate enough tracker ) . The rest is all just basic levels and curves adjustments and then masking in the non tracked sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Wow at f/2 !! :eek:

edit - looking through my ones I see I had ISO up at 4000 - 6400 , explains it a bit

:)

I must get a mount

Advertisement