Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to show profit on an invoice

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

what is the best way to show profit on an invoice
    I usually just add a percentage but it gets complicated adding in in hidden. I usually list materials(altogether ) labour, and other costs(skips, waste removal, porta loo etc)
    if I just list it beside the materials and labour then customers will complain.

how do you deal with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

"how to show profit on an invoice" - I wouldn't.

There are certain things people don't want to see on an invoice, but that you still need to factor into your pricing: the cost of the sales process, meetings, calls, failed sales pitches, etc, and profit is one of them.

The more detail you include, the more nitpicking you open yourself up to, particularly if dealing with non-business customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

seconded

The profit is your business, on one elses, all that will come out of showing it is grief

For example, a panel beater might charge you €300 to tap out a big dent in your car. His 'profit' ex vat is €230 or some such. So your going to go mental etc.

In reality his profit is 230, less the huge overheads, and the 5 years training and 10 years experience to know where and how to tap in order to get that panel fixed. You can't list that on an invoice !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I agree.
    what is the best way to 'hide' it.
    do you just add some of it to your material mark up and extra to your labour rate.

the problem is that this then makes your labour look more than it actually is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

tbh I wouldn't hide it, or try to hide it.

The price is the price, the customer will never like what you write regardless.

List your project price, break it down in generic lumps if requested to, Equipment, Labour, sundries etc.

Essentially its the overall price that the client cares about. They will try to beat you down on your labour cost in comparison to your competitor, you might be 10k, they are 9k, but the client won't mention to you that your equipment cost of 15k is two grand cheaper than the competitions 17k, meaning you are cheaper overall by 1000.

Price you job to the margins that you have determined you need to make for the company to be sufficiently profitable for you, add ten 10% across the board to this price and then you have 5% immediate wiggle room when pressed by the customer, and if the gun is really put to your head you can go the extra 5% as well to get the deal, your still making full margin and if you don't have to discount the full 10% then your well ahead.

Customers don't decide the price, you do. They decide what they will pay. The answer is always in the middle somewhere, protect yourself against being exposed in that middle and you'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I feel like I have just wandered into the twilight zone...

I just can't even...

• Advertisement

Bandara wrote: »
    tbh I wouldn't hide it, or try to hide it.

The price is the price, the customer will never like what you write regardless.

List your project price, break it down in generic lumps if requested to, Equipment, Labour, sundries etc.

Essentially its the overall price that the client cares about. They will try to beat you down on your labour cost in comparison to your competitor, you might be 10k, they are 9k, but the client won't mention to you that your equipment cost of 15k is two grand cheaper than the competitions 17k, meaning you are cheaper overall by 1000.

Price you job to the margins that you have determined you need to make for the company to be sufficiently profitable for you, add ten 10% across the board to this price and then you have 5% immediate wiggle room when pressed by the customer, and if the gun is really put to your head you can go the extra 5% as well to get the deal, your still making full margin and if you don't have to discount the full 10% then your well ahead.

Customers don't decide the price, you do. They decide what they will pay. The answer is always in the middle somewhere, protect yourself against being exposed in that middle and you'll do well.

slightly off topic but a good general principle
    that's a good way to put it. I know a few lads that don't understand this. they try to price the job to what the customer will pay and not price it properly and then see if the customer will pay it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I think you mistake labour with profit,which in very few cases is same amount !

You can do it in two ways:
    -one overall invoice line "goods and services" and charge based on VAT
    2/3rd rules,either at 23% or at 13.5%.

-one invoice with two lines,one line for materials at 23% and second line with pre-agreed labour/install charges with customer at 13.5%

As above post said,customer no need to know your profit but rather HIS overall cost to match his budget, estimation, expectation and possible other quotes.If he query your charge,drop something as a favour OR run away than working for free,or even worse for the revenue man.

Anyway,I wish you good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Your profit should come from your labour rate.

rolion wrote: »
    I think you mistake labour with profit,which in very few cases is same amount !

You can do it in two ways:
    -one overall invoice line "goods and services" and charge based on VAT
    2/3rd rules,either at 23% or at 13.5%.

-one invoice with two lines,one line for materials at 23% and second line with pre-agreed labour/install charges with customer at 13.5%

As above post said,customer no need to know your profit but rather HIS overall cost to match his budget, estimation, expectation and possible other quotes.If he query your charge,drop something as a favour OR run away than working for free,or even worse for the revenue man.

Anyway,I wish you good luck!

basically what I charge is
    (materials +mark up)
    labour
    other costs (hire of machinery , tolls, parking, etc)not sure if this should be under materials or labour but I rather keep it separate.
    then profit

sub total plus % profit plus vat at what ever % it works out to be

what I really need to do is
    (materials+markup) x profit
    +labour profit
    +other costs x profit

total x vat

smash wrote: »
    Your profit should come from your labour rate.

why

if my job is to fit a 1000euro item supplied and I charge 100 euro to fit it.
    if I at 10% profit you are saying I should charge 1110 euro plus vat

to me it should be 1210 plus vat (1100x 110%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Think car service invoice, they list parts at retail price but have 20-50% markup on their cost, The mechanic gets paid for €15-20/hr but they charge up to 140/hr. QED!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As mrawkward said, the prices you charge, or the labour rates you charge, should include a mark-up to give you profit.

For example, let's say that you've worked out that the internal cost of labour for your business is €50/hr (including salary, PRSI, pension, training costs, overheads etc). Mark it up by, say 50%, and charge €75/hr to the customer.

You can't list profit on an invoice for several reasons, the first of which is that it's not a good, service or shipping charge. Secondly, it's internal to your business, and not relevant to external parties such as customers.

why

if my job is to fit a 1000euro item supplied and I charge 100 euro to fit it.
    if I at 10% profit you are saying I should charge 1110 euro plus vat

to me it should be 1210 plus vat (1100x 110%)

You should have a markup on the €1000 item and charge an hourly rate to fit it.

You should have a markup on the €1000 item and charge an hourly rate to fit it.

i don't consider mark up and profit to be the same thing

i don't consider mark up and profit to be the same thing

So when a shopkeeper buys a can of coke for 30c and MARKS IT UP to a selling price of €1, how much do you consider is his profit?

So when a shopkeeper buys a can of coke for 30c and MARKS IT UP to a selling price of €1, how much do you consider is his profit?

it is slightly different in a retail situation. all the overheads and labour have to come out of the mark up.

in a service business my overheads and labour are separate from my materials.

the mark up on the materials isn't there to create profit. it is there to cover faulty materials and call backs ,warranty issues.
    that money should be left there in the business to cover these costs if they happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

it is slightly different in a retail situation. all the overheads and labour have to come out of the mark up.

the mark up on the materials isn't there to create profit. it is there to cover faulty materials and call backs ,warranty issues.
    that money should be left there in the business to cover these costs if they happen

Mark up is to generate profit, it's the primary function of mark up.

If we supply and fit a product that costs us 500 to buy in we will mark up that product by 50% and charge the customer 750 for it.

Profit on the materials is 250.

We also charge labour at 80 Euro per hour, making more profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

what is the best way to show profit on an invoice
    I usually just add a percentage but it gets complicated adding in in hidden. I usually list materials(altogether ) labour, and other costs(skips, waste removal, porta loo etc)

how do you deal with this
    I generally add several :D:D:D

bmwguy wrote: »
    Mark up is to generate profit, it's the primary function of mark up.

If we supply and fit a product that costs us 500 to buy in we will mark up that product by 50% and charge the customer 750 for it.

Profit on the materials is 250.

We also charge labour at 80 Euro per hour, making more profit.

the primary function of mark up is NOT to generate profit. it is to cover the cost of doing business

in your example you have forgotten all the costs . your profit is really only 50 euro if that much

Jaysus wept. I'm really starting to hope for your sake that you're a student or something... :o

Mark up can cover many things, but fundamentally its purpose is to be sufficient so as to generate profit. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markup_(business) "markup is added onto the total cost incurred by the producer of a good or service in order to cover the costs of doing business and create a profit."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

the primary function of mark up is NOT to generate profit. it is to cover the cost of doing business

in your example you have forgotten all the costs . your profit is really only 50 euro if that much

You are completely lost or you are trolling, I am not sure which. Even your original question was bizarre, you wanted to show your profit on an invoice. This doesn't happen anywhere, nobody does this.

I'm not sure you know what profit is to be honest. Or mark up. You have everyone baffled on this thread.

I think this could be an issue of semantics and industry specific terminology for the OP.

In my industry (online marketing/business consulting) some people do bill on a time and materials basis, but I think that a lot of people - or at least the smarter ones - have moved to a different pricing structure, e.g. value-based pricing (read Alan Weiss to learn more about that).

I think both the title and the content of this article are relevant to the OP's situation:"Markup isn't profit, or how much should a contractor charge?"

bmwguy wrote: »
    You are completely lost or you are trolling, I am not sure which. Even your original question was bizarre, you wanted to show your profit on an invoice. This doesn't happen anywhere, nobody does this.

I'm not sure you know what profit is to be honest. Or mark up. You have everyone baffled on this thread.

trust me im not trolling. to even suggest that is very ignorant of you.
    when I say show profit on an invoice I don't mean just materials are x labour is y and profit is z. that would be stupid. hence my question on how do you put it in with out blatantly showing it. although on some American forums I see contractors doing that

in many online forums and web pages (trade related mostly)I have read I have yet to see profit generated through the mark up.

the shop example is very different to my situation being a tradesman. I can directly charge my time (with overhead included).
    mark up in my situation is there to cover the cost of getting the materials (if it cant be charged) keeping the materials, and servicing or replacing materials that fail under my warranty . if I hang a door for someone , the mark up on the materials covers my time if the hardware fails and I have to replace it. Im not going to get any money from the customer for the time and new hardware

it is your profit margin that generates the profit. I charge a percentage across the board on material and labour.
    only adding profit to labour is stupid

Trojan wrote: »
    I think this could be an issue of semantics and industry specific terminology for the OP.

In my industry (online marketing/business consulting) some people do bill on a time and materials basis, but I think that a lot of people - or at least the smarter ones - have moved to a different pricing structure, e.g. value-based pricing (read Alan Weiss to learn more about that).

I think both the title and the content of this article are relevant to the OP's situation:"Markup isn't profit, or how much should a contractor charge?"

I think u re right . its a problem of language and industry differences.
    what works in one sector doesn't make sense in another.
    you are right I am talking about a time and material system of pricing.

I will look into value based pricing

I think u re right . its a problem of language and industry differences.
    what works in one sector doesn't make sense in another.
    you are right I am talking about a time and material system of pricing.

I will look into value based pricing

Good luck implementing that as a tradesman...

Good luck implementing that as a tradesman...

just read an overview on yer mans website.
    how the hell does he think this is a good system. its ok for big consultants like him who can charge what they like.

if I did that I would never work again.

in many online forums and web pages (trade related mostly)I have read I have yet to see profit generated through the mark up.

That's because people don't advertise what their mark up or profit is. You see a price and that's it.

That's because people don't advertise what their mark up or profit is. You see a price and that's it.

sorry I meant websites and forums discussing business related stuff like mark up and profit. most of them are trade related

One resource folks here might find useful or interesting [edit: but only if you don't mind explicit language] is this guy. Has some great videos on pricing. He's in laptop repair but has business advice that's applicable to many industries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

This is a weird question as it is framed. I received a number of quotes for an extension recently. None of them showed me the profit they were making. They were all differing amounts but they boiled down to something like:

Labour 10k
    Materials 30k
    VAT 5K

Total 45K

As a consumer I had no idea what they were paying for the materials or the labour.

I presume in their office their project budget would have read:

Labour 7K
    Materials 26k

Total 33K (Net VAT)

Customer Charge 40k

Profit 7K

So really your question should be "How do I break an invoice down while still hiding my markup?" maybe?

Advertisement