Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry Crossing

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am bringing a horse to the UK soon and was just wondering if anyone has any experiences to relay?

Looking at the Dublin Holyhead crossing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'm afraid I've never brought a horse on a ferry so can't advise you. However, maybe you could contact a transporter, or maybe associations who have teams travel abroad, such as the Irish Pony Club or Riding Club Association, and see if they could offer any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

Thank you.

We used a transport company last time as there were 8 horses making the trip from Ireland but this time we are flying solo to Dover and a transport company taking over from there to Spain with some UK horses attending the event.

Made the usual queries at this end from HSI etc. and have spoken with one of the ferry companies because the booking cannot be made on line as it is classed as freight. On paper it seems straight forward enough.

I was just trying to see if anyone had first hand experience of what to expect at the port each end and during the crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

I would see if you can time it with an irish transporter going to the continent, most likely they will be going through dover, save you alot of costs and time!

Little to expect, you will need the horses pasport etc. the horse may or may not be scanned for a chip, you will be loaded onto ferry, open top door of horsebox for ventilation, and then you won't be able to go back down again until you dock the far the side.

Be sure your health certificates for travel to the continent are done on time, as you won't be leaving the uk without them, the uk transporter could be doing this or EIS will help sort it out for you for a small charge

mothoin wrote: »
    I would see if you can time it with an irish transporter going to the continent, most likely they will be going through dover, save you alot of costs and time!

Little to expect, you will need the horses pasport etc. the horse may or may not be scanned for a chip, you will be loaded onto ferry, open top door of horsebox for ventilation, and then you won't be able to go back down again until you dock the far the side.

Be sure your health certificates for travel to the continent are done on time, as you won't be leaving the uk without them, the uk transporter could be doing this or EIS will help sort it out for you for a small charge

Thank you Mothoin, I was actually going that route the last couple of days believe it or not...

To ship the horse straight to Spain was our original plan but on his own it was an outlandish fee but we had no other choice (you could buy a reasonable horse out there for the sum involved!!!).

Then a stall on a UK truck going to the event became available so we jumped at it.

I was firming things up with the ferry company during the week and the cost of 4 ferry crossings (2 with an IW 511) plus diesel to Dover and back plus 2 nights accommodation plus arranging stop offs plus all those hours on the road was starting to make the direct route look attractive again so we checked out getting a stall on one of the regular transports to the UK and things are working out close enough as to be doable (all his paperwork is in order so that was one less worry). Now all we need to do is finalise getting the Tack Pack to Dover and we are sorted!

Thank you again for the help, all the ferry company could tell me was he was freight, the cost was based on the length of the 4x4 + horse box and after that it was all fog!

Nothing to do now but get him safely en-route next week and then for us to fly to Spain...

i would chance seeing the transporter would take the tack pack aswell, should be around 300 euro for the horse to go to dover, they might take the tack pack for another 300 quid, as it would take up a stall space, some of the trucks have large compartments though, if you could pack all luggage in something else that might fit into these, it would work out cheaper!

• Advertisement

mothoin wrote: »
    i would chance seeing the transporter would take the tack pack aswell, should be around 300 euro for the horse to go to dover, they might take the tack pack for another 300 quid, as it would take up a stall space, some of the trucks have large compartments though, if you could pack all luggage in something else that might fit into these, it would work out cheaper!

I love your figures to Dover... if only!!!

That is the plan with the Tack Pack, they just have to wait and see if there is a spare stall on the run. We looked at a smaller box but the saddle is an 18" extra wide Albion GP and even the Gorilla type boxes did not have the internal dimensions. Plus there are boots, helmet, body protector etc. etc. etc. as well as bridles, studs, rugs and all the other tack so it is fingers crossed and cheque book out. Once we get to Dover space is not an issue.

I will send you a private message

Advertisement