Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly 160km, tips?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone care to part with any bits of advice or lessons learned from previous years?

I'm quite an active cyclist with plenty of hard kms in the legs so i plan to do a 30-40km spin handy Tuesday and maybe 20km Friday to finish off.It is my first time doing this Sportive and I'm nit exactly an efficent climber so i will pace myself accordingly.

Is carb loading something to look into for Friday and Saturday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Efficient climber or not, whatever you do don't attack Tickincor or you will regret doing so. It's 3.2km long and is the most difficult climb around these parts. I've seen dozens of SK entrants in the ditch after belting up it from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Plenty of pasta and hydrate well...
    Its a tough cycle with 4 long climbs in it mama road being the last which goes on forever and ever....
    Mahon falls will be slow but very doable and smile for the camera they usually always have a photographer there,
    Descending can be tricky in parts so take your time loose gravel and cattle grids but they will have plenty of marshals enroute to warn you....
    Hopefully we get the weather to enjoy the day,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Muckers wrote: »
    Efficient climber or not, whatever you do don't attack Tickincor or you will regret doing so. It's 3.2km long and is the most difficult climb around these parts. I've seen dozens of SK entrants in the ditch after belting up it from the start.

Well aware of Tickincor, been up it twice, i live in Clonmel. Definitely one for pacing and spinning.

Plenty of pasta and hydrate well...
    Its a tough cycle with 4 long climbs in it mama road being the last which goes on forever and ever....
    Mahon falls will be slow but very doable and smile for the camera they usually always have a photographer there,
    Descending can be tricky in parts so take your time loose gravel and cattle grids but they will have plenty of marshals enroute to warn you....
    Hopefully we get the weather to enjoy the day,

I have crashed off Mahon already this year! Hoping to avoid a repeat but hopefully it is marshalled alot better than The Comeragh Challenge, one marshall to warn folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Pray to the weather gods.

• Advertisement

Sunday doesn't look so hot at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dahat wrote: »
    I have crashed off Mahon already this year! Hoping to avoid a repeat but hopefully it is marshalled alot better than The Comeragh Challenge, one marshall to warn folk.

A man on a red bike and dynamo warned you very close to the top...

It's just a bit longer than your normal spin, go a little easier for first half than normal and you'll be grand. Don't change anything with food, bike, clothing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocWVgmkUSk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Well I'm switching to 100km if its to be bad....albeit it was to be bad last year and we didn't see a drop of rain all day,
    Did it in 2104 wet after the first lunch spot and it put me off cycling for a few months.........

ford2600 wrote: »
    A man on a red bike and dynamo warned you very close to the top...

It's just a bit longer than your normal spin, go a little easier for first half than normal and you'll be grand. Don't change anything with food, bike, clothing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ocWVgmkUSk

That he did but i was in full distress mode at that point! Lesson learned really.

That video is so true, funny lads those. Knocking it back a good bit this weekend, a day out rather than a race. Least that's the plan anyway. The Mauma will be a tougher test than the other climbs i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Anyone care to part with any bits of advice or lessons learned from previous years

Do not think of it as a race, either against others or yourself.

Ditch your Garmin or at least disable the speed and average displays.

Don't expect other cyclists to be experienced in group riding unless you are with club mates.

Be ready to drop into the small ring at short notice (@55k).

If you are feeling good, go for it after Máma Road.

Enjoy the ride :)

• Advertisement

Forecastbis pretty poor for Sunday, may switch to the 100k possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Muckers wrote: »

I'm going to attack it!
    This is the first time I've ever gone into a sportive with a time in mind (<6 hrs) so the plan is to get up near the front at the start and use the group to get to Tickincor at a good clip, then I'm gonna have a right good go at that climb and any others that follow.
    I'm going hard or going home!

Anyone care to part with any bits of advice or lessons learned from previous years?

I'm quite an active cyclist with plenty of hard kms in the legs so i plan to do a 30-40km spin handy Tuesday and maybe 20km Friday to finish off.It is my first time doing this Sportive and I'm nit exactly an efficent climber so i will pace myself accordingly.

Is carb loading something to look into for Friday and Saturday?

I'm gonna do an easy 50k or so tonight,very little climbing, and that will be only cycle this week(did 100k Sunday, suffered with it, first day in weeks I've just not had it in the legs).
    Will be steak Friday and pasta Saturday (always have pasta before a long sportive. Plenty of water over next few days.

terrydel wrote: »
    I'm going to attack it!
    This is the first time I've ever gone into a sportive with a time in mind (<6 hrs) so the plan is to get up near the front at the start and use the group to get to Tickincor at a good clip, then I'm gonna have a right good go at that climb and any others that follow.
    I'm going hard or going home!

Attack Tickincor, good luck with that!!! Starting at the front is proably a good idea but the fear is that they will head off far too quick so not for me.

Aiming for 6.5hrs myself which should be well within my reach given normal luck.

Attack Tickincor, good luck with that!!! Starting at the front is proably a good idea but the fear is that they will head off far too quick so not for me.

Aiming for 6.5hrs myself which should be well within my reach given normal luck.

Haha, I'm climbing well at the moment, so feck it, I'm gonna give this a right good go.
    See you there!

terrydel wrote: »
    Haha, I'm climbing well at the moment, so feck it, I'm gonna give this a right good go.
    See you there!

Good man, confidence is high. If i can drop below my 16.40 pb on it that will do me.

Sunday doesn't look so hot at this point
    Well I'm switching to 100km if its to be bad.
    Forecastbis pretty poor for Sunday, may switch to the 100k possibly.

Ask yourself, what would Sean Kelly do?

2hmoea0.jpg

Hopefully he's not monitoring this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kelly was wheel sucking all day - hence the state of him. Hinault, on the other hand was pristine! :D

Kelly was wheel sucking all day - hence the state of him. Hinault, on the other hand was pristine! :D

You really better hope he's not monitoring this thread. Are you heading to the sunny south-east on Sunday?

Being you, that should read "Are you cycling to the south-east early Sunday?"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You really better hope he's not monitoring this thread. Are you heading to the sunny south-east on Sunday?

Being you, that should read "Are you cycling to the south-east early Sunday?"
    No - enjoy. I think there's a few heading down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Good man, confidence is high. If i can drop below my 16.40 pb on it that will do me.

It cant be too bad, sure didn't Barry Meehan do it 14 times in the one day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

was it not 18 or 20 times? must have been in good shape - be tough to do it in a year, never mind a day

defo the toughest part of the day, Powers feels like a speed bump after it, Mahon descent is worse than ascent, all down hill after that sure!

Andalucia wrote: »
    was it not 18 or 20 times? must have been in good shape - be tough to do it in a year, never mind a day

defo the toughest part of the day, Powers feels like a speed bump after it, Mahon descent is worse than ascent, all down hill after that sure!

I do think The Mauma will be a massive test on tired and weary legs, pop out at Bearys cross and away for slates after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Andalucia wrote: »

Cant remember how many times he did it on the day.
    Barry was doing serious training with the Carrick wheelers at the time, only difference was that he was doing the training circuit on his own first, then he joined the group for a bit of "speed work" and if I recall correctly he did the circuit again after that.

Just realised i have no overshoes or a decent light rain mack, gotta spend some unnecessary cash tomorrow due to crap Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Just realised i have no overshoes or a decent light rain mack, gotta spend some unnecessary cash tomorrow due to crap Irish weather.

unnecessary cash on essential items if you cycle in Ireland, so they cancel each other out.

1bryan wrote: »
    unnecessary cash on essential items if you cycle in Ireland, so they cancel each other out.

True but being so late in the week i will have to use LBS rather than online, ah well.

Can't understand how you have gotten as fit as you obviously are without being out in "normal" Irish weather. Had both of them with me on a spin this morning though the jacket wasn't called into use. For regular winter cycling you will also need heavier neoprene overshoes but hopefully no rush on those yet.

Can't understand how you have gotten as fit as you obviously are without being out in "normal" Irish weather. Had both of them with me on a spin this morning though the jacket wasn't called into use. For regular winter cycling you will also need heavier neoprene overshoes but hopefully no rush on those yet.

Have stuff go tied me over in mist n that but never been out for 6.5hrs of wet weather really. I'm not soft so just need something light and easily packed up if needs be.

A nice jacket looks to be in the 50-100 bracket which tbh is very expensive but for last minute shopping it's what I'll have to pay.

• Advertisement

I'm not soft ...

Don't think I am either but there are times, especially in the hills, when it pays to have the right gear. It can even be a safety issue especially in winter or early spring.

Advertisement