Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly 160km, tips?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    .. but never been out for 6.5hrs of wet weather really..
    Don't confuse wet and cold. It's unlikely to be cold on Sunday so don't overdress (a common sight on summer sportives - loads of cyclists on this year's WW200 hauling around winter jackets).

A light gilet (if you have one) is better than a rain cape. No need for overshoes as your feet will eventually get wet anyway if there is continuous rain but they won't get cold. (I wore them this morning but that was because I couldn't be arsed cleaning my shoes afterwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Don't confuse wet and cold. It's unlikely to be cold on Sunday so don't overdress (a common sight on summer sportives - loads of cyclists on this year's WW200 hauling around winter jackets).

A light gilet (if you have one) is better than a rain cape. No need for overshoes as your feet will eventually get wet anyway if there is continuous rain but they won't get cold. (I wore them this morning but that was because I couldn't be arsed cleaning my shoes afterwards).

Good advice from someone who spends most of their week on a bike!

I have the club gillet with a cheapy Aldi one as well which is pretty waterproof for €5, wear one and pack the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Andalucia wrote: »
    was it not 18 or 20 times? must have been in good shape - be tough to do it in a year, never mind a day

defo the toughest part of the day, Powers feels like a speed bump after it, Mahon descent is worse than ascent, all down hill after that sure!

The last few hundred metres of Mahon Falls is very tough, but the rest is handy enough.
    Agree that Tickincor is the toughest part. I'm still going all out on it mind you!

Don't think I am either but there are times, especially in the hills, when it pays to have the right gear. It can even be a safety issue especially in winter or early spring.

A cheap Aldi gillet is what I'd normally use for descending off hills in mist/damp windy weather.

Probably have the balls scared out of myself at this stage so maybe best just bring what i have or normally use and go from there..

Have stuff go tied me over in mist n that but never been out for 6.5hrs of wet weather really. I'm not soft so just need something light and easily packed up if needs be.

A nice jacket looks to be in the 50-100 bracket which tbh is very expensive but for last minute shopping it's what I'll have to pay.

I've a Giant one that cost me 90, used only a few times, yours for 40 if you want it.
    Will check size later but guess is its medium.

• Advertisement

Yr.no is saying almost no rain in Waterford on Sunday.
    Less of the scaremongering!

terrydel wrote: »
    I've a Giant one that cost me 90, used only a few times, yours for 40 if you want it.
    Will check size later but guess is its medium.

Medoum, no chance in hell.... Appreciate the offer though.

Medoum, no chance in hell.... Appreciate the offer though.

Will check when I get home anyway, and post in this thread.
    I never use it, too big for me. Endura fs260 I have is superb and wouldn't be without it.

Will check when I get home anyway, and post in this thread.
    I never use it, too big for me. Endura fs260 I have is superb and wouldn't be without it.

Check that forecast again and go for Dungarvan, Clonmel, Carrick and rain is forecast but tongwt worse around lunch time with a Westerly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Check that forecast again and go for Dungarvan, Clonmel, Carrick and rain is forecast but tongwt worse around lunch time with a Westerly breeze.

Met Eireann is now showing rain reaching Waterford around midday. Last year all the forecasts were wrong so you never know.

vwskl0.jpg
    Some of your club mates on the W200. Not a rain cape in sight but plenty of rain jackets ;)

• Advertisement

I'll take Midday as that means 4hrs without any, aiming for 6.5 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Weather not looking too good so it could be a day to do the SK160 on the Mountain bike, at least I'll have brakes that work in the wet while going down Mahon Falls. Hopefully will get a bit of drafting over the course of the day to make it a bit easier!

ADW1 wrote: »
    Weather not looking too good so it could be a day to do the SK160 on the Mountain bike, at least I'll have brakes that work in the wet while going down Mahon Falls. Hopefully will get a bit of drafting over the course of the day to make it a bit easier!

Still not showing much rain til after midday.
    Sure will be well over half way by then.

Still not showing much rain til after midday.
    Sure will be well over half way by then.

Looks like that, just need to get off Mahon before it gets messy is my main concern.

Looks like that, just need to get off Mahon before it gets messy is my main concern.

That decent is lethal, and I'm not usually too bothered by descents (I was when I started cycling but have really improved on that in the last year).
    I've decided that I am just gonna go hard for as long as I can and then if needs be, suffer to the end.

Anyone got a map of the route that I could stick on the toptube? Just the climbs really.
    When does Mahon come again?

That decent is lethal, and I'm not usually too bothered by descents (I was when I started cycling but have really improved on that in the last year).
    I've decided that I am just gonna go hard for as long as I can and then if needs be, suffer to the end.

Anyone got a map of the route that I could stick on the toptube? Just the climbs really.

Mahon is at 120km, don't know any more exactly.

Mahon is at 120km, don't know any more exactly.

Sounds about right, I've done it twice before but never paid attention to the route.
    Theres one climb after it I believe, more a drag really. Cant recall the name.
    Last 30 or so is super fast and largely downhill iirc.

Sounds about right, I've done it twice before but never paid attention to the route.
    Theres one climb after it I believe, more a drag really. Cant recall the name.
    Last 30 or so is super fast and largely downhill iirc.

Mauma rd is the one,. Long old drag alright and into a headwind most likely. Such fun.

Mauma rd is the one,. Long old drag alright and into a headwind most likely. Such fun.

First year I did it I died a thousand deaths on that one! Was literally going backwards.
    Was 2013. Last year me and my bro (who was flying that year) absolutely raced up it, overtaking absolutely everyone!
    Hopefully more of the latter and less of the former this year.

First year I did it I died a thousand deaths on that one! Was literally going backwards.
    Was 2013. Last year me and my bro (who was flying that year) absolutely raced up it, overtaking absolutely everyone!
    Hopefully more of the latter and less of the former this year.

Bloody hope I'm going well there but I won't be. I'll be the one half dead on a Giant Tcr advanced 1 and sucking on gels to get me home.

• Advertisement

Bloody hope I'm going well there but I won't be. I'll be the one half dead on a Giant Tcr advanced 1 and sucking on gels to get me home.

Defy 1 meself. Green and will be wearing green shoes and top. keep an eye out!

Defy 1 meself. Green and will be wearing green shoes and top. keep an eye out!

I will try!!!! Kask helmet as well for me so help me home if ya see me....

Gel count for the trip.... 14.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

mvso3p.jpg

Not a map (I think you get one in your goodie bag) but a distance list. It's based on my Garmin track from last year but don't blame me if the climbs are a bit longer or the food is a bit further away!

I'll be in a group of seven or so wearing Irish Hospice Foundation jerseys and on a Van Nic titanium bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Gel count for the trip.... 14.....
    :eek: WTF? You'll get a dose of the skitters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I will try!!!! Kask helmet as well for me so help me home if ya see me....

Gel count for the trip.... 14.....

A gel every 14km :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure the bedroom windows are open on Sunday Night .:)
    Seriously are you avoiding the feedstops

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Anybody been up tickincor recently? A buddy was up in about two weeks ago and said it had a serious amount of gravel from resurfacing ( on the ascent, I think he said ).
    Also, is it possible to get a shower in the sports complex at the end?

:eek: WTF? You'll get a dose of the skitters!

There is a few too many there of course, just packed a few extra in case a buddy or two is short.
    This trip is beyond my comfort zone and while i have trained well imo i just need something to get me home if i need it.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Anybody been up tickincor recently? A buddy was up in about two weeks ago and said it had a serious amount of gravel from resurfacing ( on the ascent, I think he said ).
    Also, is it possible to get a shower in the sports complex at the end?

I would imagine it's well bedded in by now, we won't be coming down it so nothing to worry about.

Esroh wrote: »
    A gel every 14km :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure the bedroom windows are open on Sunday Night .:)
    Seriously are you avoiding the feedstops

I'm also starting a new job Monday morning!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Did you get sorted with the jacket and the shoes ?

If not, your local ALDI has a nice "waterproof" jacket for sale at €14.99. Looks quite good,light and very foldable and I have a pair of overshoes you can borrow ( size 45 or 46 ish)

PM me if you wish

Advertisement